OT: Is Syracuse Less Hated In Womens Basketball? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Is Syracuse Less Hated In Womens Basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hope people here remember that the young women on the current Syracuse team have never played UConn and aren't remotely connected with any of the teams' past history. I had to trim out a few comments - please don't take unwarranted shots at the kids because you don't like Hillsman or events from the past.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Why should syracuse bend over backwards to help out a player that spurned them? Brianna Stewart had every right to go wherever she wanted to for school. . . . But if she wanted to play in front of her friends and family, she could have gone to Syracuse.

This Syracuse fan is correct. His coach had every right to deny Stewie a "home game."

But that doesn't make it right. Certainly not here.;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the Syracuse/Tenn replay and I have to admit I really liked how they played. Great defense, good offense and a good team effort. I find it a little harder to dislike them after watching them take TN apart with solid team play. There is a lot to admire there - even for a UCONN fan.
You aren't looking hard enough.;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We all know what a jerk Hillsman is but not everybody knows the backstory with UCONN. The fact that he wouldn't schedule us to allow Stewie a home game is a disgrace. He should have been downseeded just for ducking us. Plus, the physical BS his players used to pull helped me lose all respect for him.
It goes back much farther than the game for Stewie.

Reaction Score
I don't have any animosity against the program of either gender, Per se.

the fans on the men's side have certainly been obnoxious for many years. I didn't like the style of play that the women's team has used in the past with a seem to deliberately Target players like Maya, but I have no animosity at all against the female team. However, coach Boeheim is an awful man, who enabled a pedophile on his staff for many years and has received no punishment whatsoever. When the issue that his associate coach was abusing ball - boys came to his attention several years back, instead of bringing it to the attention of the proper authorities, he and the administration established an in-house investigation which found no evidence of wrongdoing. At that time, the offenses would have still be en within the statute of limitations. Five years or so ago, when the situation came to public light, the Syracuse Police Chief said that there was credible evidence to pursue charges against the associate coach but it was now past the statute of limitations. the associate coach was fired. But Coach Boeheim never received any punishment and only time that he had a bit of remorse was that he donated a small amount of money to a charity for abuse victims...the Excuse that he uses is that I was only responsible for the play of the basketball players on the court.
Pick your poison. SYR the only men and women left in the final four.
That means Boeheim and Q still motoring towards the unimaginable and therefore unmentionable here possibility.....

Reaction Score
I'm very torn. I clearly bleed national flag blue, but I grew up in the shadows of the Carrier Dome. I still live here and I grew up a Syracuse MBB fan, like everyone around here. Now, I don't love Q, but man o man, much respect to what he has done with pretty much zero community and institutional support. With that being said, Syracuse is a scary team. They have great guards and can hit the 3!

Reaction Score
I kind of feel that their fans don't deserve Syracuse women's success. Well, aside from maybe 300 that regularly attended their games!

Reaction Score
It goes back much farther than the game for Stewie.
I know. It was the physical play,aka mugging, they would throw at our players. It reminded me of WWE. Hillsman is a guy with a huge chip on his shoulder. I wonder how the other coaches relate to him or if the problem is just with Geno.

Reaction Score
In mens basketball, Syracuse is hated. The posters at the mens basketball hate Syracuse more than any other team. Here in womens basketball, Syracuse doesn't seem hated. Do fans of the womens basketball team hate Syracuse less than mens basketball?
I don't hate any WBB team, not even Tenn or Syracuse, I do however extremely dislike Q's coaching methodology when it comes to "taking out" top players on the opposing team. If you can't beat them with talent (apparently) you beat on them.
Here in Virginia, we are mourning the dissipation of a 15 point lead into a loss to Syracuse--UVA is still the number ONE Men's team.

Reaction Score
I kind of feel that their fans don't deserve Syracuse women's success. Well, aside from maybe 300 that regularly attended their games!
I understand what you say/write. But even Syracuse deserves a top WBB team. Just think how great it is for the SPORT of WBB --Syracuse and Washington in the final four!!!!!! All the naysayers of no Parroty (that's for those who love to correct others, you have to feed the beasts once in a while) now have to eat humble pie. This year is so great for WBB Geno must be thrilled!!

Reaction Score
I completely agree that there is no requirement for Q to play Uconn to give Stewart a home game - it is his gym and he can schedule who he wants to, and I have no issue with him saying no. A bunch of other coaches have done the same in similar situations.
I personally think it was probably a bad PR move and with the team playing in that barn to generally empty houses, it would not have hurt to get a lot of local folks into the building to see Breanna and show them that Syracuse is not a bad team either. I suspect a lot of high school and younger girls teams would have tried to attend that game, and that could have helped recruiting efforts more than sparsely attended normal home games.
Like all the mean or stupid things we humans do--and we all do them--most time we hurt ourselves at least as much (if not more) than those we intend to harm. Q paid the price--believe it.

Reaction Score
Not wanting to take any thing away for the Cuse girls but they have the prefect defense against the right teams. South Carolina and Tennessee can not move the ball and shoot from 3. Washington is going to shoot 3's and if they are hitting it could get ugly. On the other hand Washington's defense is not that great so I have no idea who will win. If Syracuse does play UConn it will get ugly pretty quickly because we can score and play pretty good defense. Mo, Morgan, Kia, Lou and Stewie could all have 4 or 5 from 3 point land. Once we open the middle it's all over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom