OT: Is Girls Basketball really on the Decline? | The Boneyard

OT: Is Girls Basketball really on the Decline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
interesting article... I'd like to see whats the pulse like in Texas and Califonia

Reaction Score
The statement may or may not be true, but NH is hardly a representative sample of US high schools.
How many girls from NH have gotten scholarships in the last 10 years? Not many I'm sure. Kids see that and know their chances for success are limited.

The rise of girls ice hockey is also surely cutting into BB.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I have been to about 20 HS games so far this season(Nov 28th through now)
The quality of the teams, either in individual or team skills ability is way down, IMO, since lets say the days KML was in HS at Mater Dei. This is only for my neck of the woods, OC, Ca., I cant comment on everywhere else. It has been like that for a few years now. I also noticed the same on the AAU clubs in the summer.

Reaction Score
I have been to about 20 HS games so far this season(Nov 28th through now)
The quality of the teams, either in individual or team skills ability is way down, IMO, since lets say the days KML was in HS at Mater Dei. This is only for my neck of the woods, OC, Ca., I cant comment on everywhere else. It has been like that for a few years now. I also noticed the same on the AAU clubs in the summer.

and yet there still seem to be a good number of quality recruits being spread throughout the top 20 college teams these days..............

Reaction Score
interesting article... I'd like to see whats the pulse like in Texas and Califonia
Living in Dallas area, HS basketball at an all time high in terms of talent. With many more girls getting recruited by top colleges, interest in terms of filled seats slowly going up.

Reaction Score
Per Raul:

Not so sure if this is a national trend but it certainly seem to be the case in New Hampshire

H.S. Basketball: Girls' hoop participation is down | New Hampshire
Extremely telling story----HOWEVER--there are dedicated, hard working, kids--I don't have to point them out.
My grand kids /young adults---expected as teens and beyond to be entertained--conversation/family time is gone/lost--
I pity those coach who think it is now their job to entertain---isn't the "game" sufficient entertainment???

Reaction Score
It's UConn's fault
Well you know---Geno and Uconn has been told---STOP WINNING--it's bad for the sport!!! And yet he fails to heed the stars and pundits and keeps to his miserable winning way--destroying the sport!!

Reaction Score
Blame it on soccer , volleyball and softball.

Not softball.........that sport is hurting...........too slow.........lacrosse is the new hot sport in high school for females

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Most of them are too busy TEXTING!..the girls who cannot afford a good phone, or are disciplined by strict parents are practicing basketball!

You dont need a good phone to text :confused:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You dont need a good phone to text :confused:

TDF's phone:

th

Payback... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online