OT: Is Evan Turner a bust as #2? | The Boneyard

OT: Is Evan Turner a bust as #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, #2 has produced KD and Aldridge in last 10-15 years and also Turner, MKG, Okafor, Thabeet, Derrick Williams, Darko, Beasley, Marvin Williams.

Wow, what a crazy dichotomy. Many more busts than stars.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say he was a bust, he has been an alright player his whole career. But, he was drafted ahead of players like Boogie, Paul George, Derrick Favors, Eric Bledsoe and Greg Monroe.

Reaction Score
was a bust earlier in his career (if that makes sense). Has found really nice, and important, role with the C's now.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
To be a bust you have to be bad/ineffective. ET is a good player for the C's, and will likely cash in next year with another team.
A bust are people like Kwame Brown, Thabeet, Milicic, Oden, Bennett.

Reaction Score
Wow, #2 has produced KD and Aldridge in last 10-15 years and also Turner, MKG, Okafor, Thabeet, Derrick Williams, Darko, Beasley, Marvin Williams.

Wow, what a crazy dichotomy. Many more busts than stars.

How did Okafor end up on the bust list? Wasn't he ROY?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not a bad player, but I consider a bust to be someone who doesn't live up to where they're picked, so yes.

Reaction Score
Not a bad player, but I consider a bust to be someone who doesn't live up to where they're picked, so yes.

He averaged 12 and 10 over a 9 year career. Just because you expected more from him that doesn't make him bust.

I'm guessing his numbers are above average if you compared him to every #2 pick over the last 25 years. Probably best comparison would be a PER but I'm not going to spend the time to look it up.

Reaction Score
In no way a bust. Quality nba player who will have a long career. Not a superstar but a player every team needs and has a valuable role.

This isn't thabeet or a handful of those high school/euro draftees who literally did nothing

Reaction Score
He averaged 12 and 10 over a 9 year career. Just because you expected more from him that doesn't make him bust.

I'm guessing his numbers are above average if you compared him to every #2 pick over the last 25 years. Probably best comparison would be a PER but I'm not going to spend the time to look it up.
We had a similar discussion recently, when some guy theorized that Al Harford has been 1,000 times the player Emeka was, despite their #s being very similar for a 9 year span. No way was Emeka anywhere even close to a bust, Thabeet whereas Thabeet could be the poster boy.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@Gringo Not that this argument even makes sense when discussing if Turner is or is not a bust, but here's some players taken at 2 in the past 25 years. Tyson Chandler, Marcus Camby, Steve Francis, LaMarcus Aldridge, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Kevin Durant. That didn't even include guys like Parker, Bibby, McDyess, Oladipo, Etc. Of course for every Durant you have your Thabeet or Swift, but every draft pick has its list of stars and busts. For his career, Turner is averaging 11pts, 5rb, and 4 assist. Those are fine numbers, but not what you would expect from the number 2 pick in the draft. BTW the 76ers expected more from him, if they got what they'd wanted, he'd still be playing for them. Then when you put into context the players they could have had that @CardiacAndre7 listed, the pick looks even worse. Turner is a decent player, who has recently saved himself from the Consensus opinion that he was a bust.

Reaction Score
Horford was drafted #3 in 2007, the #2 was KD if you want to compare #2s. Horford has won multiple playoff series and made 4 AS games and isn't 30 yet.

Okafor had some productive years, but his game isn't a fit with today's NBA. Okafor never made an AS team or won a playoff series. It's hard to imagine not having that expectation of a #2.

He is certainly nowhere near Thabeet, Darco, etc but the 2 has some major highs and lows

We had a similar discussion recently, when some guy theorized that Al Harford has been 1,000 times the player Emeka was, despite their #s being very similar for a 9 year span. No way was Emeka anywhere even close to a bust, Thabeet whereas Thabeet could be the poster boy.

Reaction Score
Horford was drafted #3 in 2007, the #2 was KD if you want to compare #2s. Horford has won multiple playoff series and made 4 AS games and isn't 30 yet.

Okafor had some productive years, but his game isn't a fit with today's NBA. Okafor never made an AS team or won a playoff series. It's hard to imagine not having that expectation of a #2.

He is certainly nowhere near Thabeet, Darco, etc but the 2 has some major highs and lows
Right, but the point being that a 12 and 10 career guy is far from a bust. Almost any team would be happy to have a guy of such high character who is that consistent. Horford also had a lot more talent around him, let's not forget that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There's a reason why teams like the 6ers, Nets, Bucks, and, (until recently) Clippers are perpetual lottery teams. They don't stick with a long term strategy and build a team. They keep changing it up and make "splashy" moves meant to catch lightning in a bottle. Also the game is not exactly one-for-one compatible to the NBA.

As it was mentioned earlier, Turner probably wlue of the #2 pick and may be considered a bust for the 76ers, but I'm happy to have him as the C's 6th man, averaging 10/5/3 a game (with the potential for more), and playing good defense.

Reaction Score
There's a reason why teams like the 6ers, Nets, Bucks, and, (until recently) Clippers are perpetual lottery teams. They don't stick with a long term strategy and build a team. They keep changing it up and make "splashy" moves meant to catch lightning in a bottle. Also the game is not exactly one-for-one compatible to the NBA.

As it was mentioned earlier, Turner probably wlue of the #2 pick and may be considered a bust for the 76ers, but I'm happy to have him as the C's 6th man, averaging 10/5/3 a game (with the potential for more), and playing good defense.
I think it's unfair to the kids sometimes to have pressure to live up to a given projection. They don't have control over what number they're chosen at and may be unfairly judged throughout what could be a very good career because someone's talent evaluation or team need. Turner is a very valuable player on a young, contending team, there should be no shame in his game.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think it's unfair to the kids sometimes to have pressure to live up to a given projection. They don't have control over what number they're chosen at and may be unfairly judged throughout what could be a very good career because someone's talent evaluation or team need. Turner is a very valuable player on a young, contending team, there should be no shame in his game.
Tell that to 76ers fans who have been losing since that pick.

Reaction Score

Oh, so you make up your own ridiculous definition, and then act surprised that a lot of people meet it?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Looking at the 2010 Draft in context, the question really cannot be answered without any degree of depute. Only John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Paul George have made an All-Star team and only George and Cousins have made an All-NBA team.

Compared to 2009 (DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, and Jeff Teague = All Stars. Black Griffin, James Harden and Stephen Curry made All NBA) and 2011 (Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler = All-Stars and Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson were All-NBA). Even the 2012 draft has already produced 4 All stars and/or All-NBA players.

On an individual basis, 2010 was a weak class.

Reaction Score
Tell that to 76ers fans who have been losing since that pick.

Ohhh, THAt'S why they've been losing. Not because they were so bad that they had a #2 pick to begin with? Or that they traded for an over the hill Elton Brand, let their best all around player, Iguodala go, or drafted centers 3 years in a row, two of which were injured and couldn't even play for a year? Drafting Turner too high is one of many factors in why the Sixers have been awful for years. It's not all on the kid, who is now starting to live up to potential for a much better franchise,

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@CallMeBruce I'm fine if people don't think he's a bust, he's a good 6th man for the C's. I just think he didn't come close to living up to the expectations of a N.2 pick.

@tentoes4rings It's not Turners fault the 76ers have sucked for awhile, he didn't pick himself at 2, but his play certaintly didn't help their cause. He still has a long way to go to justify that high of a selection in my eyes. I'm rooting for him, cause he seems like a nice guy and his teamates seem to like him. Plus it must be cool for kids with speach impetiments, especially Celtics fans, to have an NBA player who can relate to their struggles who's done very well for himself. Hopefully he continues this upwords trajectory.

Reaction Score
Good points. In all honestly he's a bust as a #2, like MKG so far, Derrick Williams, Okafor, Marvin Williams, Beasley, etc.

But not a huge, epic bust like Darco or Thabeet.

In looking at this this has mostly been pretty solid through the years.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/2nd-overall/20509/

@CallMeBruce I'm fine if people don't think he's a bust, he's a good 6th man for the C's. I just think he didn't come close to living up to the expectations of a N.2 pick.

@tentoes4rings It's not Turners fault the 76ers have sucked for awhile, he didn't pick himself at 2, but his play certaintly didn't help their cause. He still has a long way to go to justify that high of a selection in my eyes. I'm rooting for him, cause he seems like a nice guy and his teamates seem to like him. Plus it must be cool for kids with speach impetiments, especially Celtics fans, to have an NBA player who can relate to their struggles who's done very well for himself. Hopefully he continues this upwords trajectory.

Husky25

Reaction Score

As has been pointed out and as you say, he didn't pick himself at #2, however it was a perfectly justifiable pick (Unlike Darko and even Thabeet). Though the game does not exactly translate 100% between the two levels, Turner dominated his final year in College (20pts/9reb/6ast) as a Small Forward and was the AP Player of the Year.

Could it possibly have been that Doug Collins just isn't a very good coach, or at the very least was doing with smoke and mirrors?

Not to mention, it's not like Turner was making Glenn Robinson money out of school.

Here's a better question...Who is the bigger bust, Evan Turner or Carmelo Anthony? By the numbers, Anthony is off the charts good, but he is a max contract guy and I'd argue he hurts his team more than helps it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@Husky25 Yes when he was drafted it made sense, my point is he hasn't justified it with his NBA play. I'm gonna assume you were joking with that last statement, but just in case....Carmelo is not a bust.

Husky25

Reaction Score
@Husky25 Yes when he was drafted it made sense, my point is he hasn't justified it with his NBA play. I'm gonna assume you were joking with that last statement, but just in case....Carmelo is not a bust.

Turner was only in Philly (who made the playoff in his 1st two years) for 3 1/2 years. He improved every year he was there and was averaging 17pts/6Reb/4Ast per game before he was traded to Indiana. Philly didn't extend him and he was traded to Indy (presumably to get something for him before he became an unrestricted free agent) and Indiana didn't make him a qualifying offer either. To me, his circumstances reflect far more poorly on the organization than they do his individual performance.

Be that as it may, he's carved out a nice little role with the Celtics for short money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom