OT: Impossibly beautiful music | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Impossibly beautiful music

Reaction Score
Here is one from 10,000 Maniacs. This is the last cut on "The Earth Pressed Flat" which was their second release after Natalie Merchant left the band.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here is one from 10,000 Maniacs. This is the last cut on "The Earth Pressed Flat" which was their second release after Natalie Merchant left the band.

Nice song. I never paid them much attention after Ms.Merchant left. Thanks. :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I had to give it a like just because it mentions the World Saxophone Quartet, whom I had the misfortune of seeing in the mid-80’s.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I had to give it a like just because it mentions the World Saxophone Quartet, whom I had the misfortune of seeing in the mid-80’s.
They were a tough listen then and now. Oliver Lake has however moved on to Trio 3 with Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille whose music is a tad bit more accessible if not highly intellectual. Their album with Vijay Iver is both a tour de force and almost too cool for the room. In my opinion all of Iver's stuff is just too cool. He's a real tough listen for me. He thinks and plays compositionally and in broad strokes. It leaves a lot of space for his bandmates.

I recently went to see Ambrose Akinmusire with the Sullivan Fortner Quartet, and although it was accessible let me tell you, it was some high level stuff. I was with a reviewer who works for an online audio equipment magazine and his wife. After the concert she turned to me and said, "The reason why some classical conservatories are lacking in applicants is because so many are now going to jazz conservatories and learning music through the rigors of that academic standard and milieu". These new jazz musicians are well aware of and acquainted with both classical and jazz musics and are equally at home in either genre, frequently combining these musics. Difficult, high level stuff indeed.

Reaction Score

HaHa - I never paid any attention to that reference in his lyrics, but your comment made me search for them on YT - and I gotta agree, they must be an acquired taste. :D

Reaction Score
Nice song. I never paid them much attention after Ms.Merchant left. Thanks. :)
You should check out their post Natalie work. Some of it is quite good. I still try to catch their shows when they visit the mid Atlantic area.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
They were a tough listen then and now. Oliver Lake has however moved on to Trio 3 with Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille whose music is a tad bit more accessible if not highly intellectual. Their album with Vijay Iver is both a tour de force and almost too cool for the room. In my opinion all of Iver's stuff is just too cool. He's a real tough listen for me. He thinks and plays compositionally and in broad strokes. It leaves a lot of space for his bandmates.

I recently went to see Ambrose Akinmusire with the Sullivan Fortner Quartet, and although it was accessible let me tell you, it was some high level stuff. I was with a reviewer who works for an online audio equipment magazine and his wife. After the concert she turned to me and said, "The reason why some classical conservatories are lacking in applicants is because so many are now going to jazz conservatories and learning music through the rigors of that academic standard and milieu". These new jazz musicians are well aware of and acquainted with both classical and jazz musics and are equally at home in either genre, frequently combining these musics. Difficult, high level stuff indeed.
I listened to some avant-garde jazz growing up -- Cecil Taylor, Anthony Braxton, and such. I am glad I went to see WSQ, and while it was certainly a learning experience, it's not something I'd do again. It was probably the end of my listening to avant-garde jazz. (I don't recognize any of the names in your second paragraph.) The reactions of the other people I went with ran the gamut from "Best concert ever" to "Four guys playing on a stage ignoring each other." I think I had more of a problem with no rhythm section than I did with the music itself.

Very interesting second paragraph. There was a time when classical players very much looked down upon jazz players. But I think there's been an increasing realization that the best jazz players are both virtuosi AND able to improvise, while most classical players have no ability to improvise at all. I saw a really fantastic documentary on Stephane Grapelli a few years ago. Not too long before they both died, he made some recordings with Yehudi Menuhin. Grapelli was nervous about playing with one of the most revered violin soloists of the 20th century, but did fine in the classical part. But he wasn't half as nervous as Menuhin was when it came to having to play a jazz solo. In the end, he never got it, and had to have a solo written for him.

I think that Benny Goodman also opened a lot of eyes when he played the premiere of Aaron Copland's clarinet concerto.

A good musician, whether it's orchestral, jazz, Irish, rock, country, etc, is still a good musician and deserving of respect.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
would you pour me another, darling . . . (sound of clinking glasses can be heard)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Who are not generally known for their beautiful music. We (siblings and I) got Tommy when it first came out, when I was 8 or 9. I was instantly captivated by the Underture. It's incredibly simple on the surface but in constant motion and changing underneath.

Reaction Score
Thanks BB, I had pretty much forgotten about that beautiful song by the Who. It made me recall this one by Mark Egan and the group Elements:

Reaction Score
Didn’t look through all 13 pages, so it has probably already been mentioned, but the one that always brings tears to my eyes is the Notre Dame Victory March.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Didn’t look through all 13 pages, so it has probably already been mentioned, but the one that always brings tears to my eyes is the Notre Dame Victory March.

LOL! Certainly qualifies for the "impossibly" part.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
If during the movie, you stood up from the sofa and started to dance to this song, well don't worry. You are perfectly normal (and if you give me a "like" for this video I won't tell anyone that you did. I promise).

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If during the movie, you stood up from the sofa and started to dance to this song, well don't worry. You are perfectly normal (and if you give me a "like" for this video I won't tell anyone that you did. I promise).

I see your avatar. You seem convincing, but I am not sure if I can trust you. But you are good! ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Steppenwolf, one of the original hard-rock groups, doing the beautiful:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is just too cool. I only discovered it maybe two years ago. The "band" includes Steve Hillage, who'd just left Gong, Terry Oldfield, and several members of Henry Cow. It's breathtaking to see this performed live, and to think that Mike Oldfield did this all himself originally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom