OT: If UConn had won then... | The Boneyard

OT: If UConn had won then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What are you missing?

If UConn won then Dayton was out of the tournament. If Dayton won the A10 tournament they would not be in the playin game. UCLA and Texas probably would have been in the playin if both Dayton and UConn won their tournaments.

Had Dayton and UConn won they could not play in the first 4 so they had to have multiple scenarios based on that.

To avoid this confusion they may revisit the playin being the last 4 at larges and open it to auto bids

Reaction Score
What are you missing?

If UConn won then Dayton was out of the tournament. If Dayton won the A10 tournament they would not be in the playin game. UCLA and Texas probably would have been in the playin if both Dayton and UConn won their tournaments.

Had Dayton and UConn won they could not play in the first 4 so they had to have multiple scenarios based on that.

I think you're the one missing something. The NCAA is not going to go by last-four in for the play-ins in the future. Katz seemed to say that they'd be changing things up by taking the last four teams in the field, whether they are AQ or not.

Essentially, that makes absolutely no sense.

No one would schedule their conference tourney on a weekend if that's the case.

Bizarre.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
What are you missing?

To avoid this confusion they may revisit the playin being the last 4 at larges and open it to auto bids
It was a poorly written article. And it should be a nonissue. As long as there are conference title games played on Sunday, there will always be uncertainty. I'm sure the committee can handle contingency plans.

Reaction Score
It was a poorly written article. And it should be a nonissue. As long as there are conference title games played on Sunday, there will always be uncertainty. I'm sure the committee can handle contingency plans.
The first paragraph was haphazardly thrown in there with no follow up or revisiting, but what I took out is they would consider revisiting the playin in relation to at larges and maybe make it all autos, or at least allow autos in there beyond the bottom 4.

I do not think he literally meant that the last team based on time of clinching would be in there.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The first paragraph was haphazardly thrown in there with no follow up or revisiting, but what I took out is they would consider revisiting the playin in relation to at larges and maybe make it all autos, or at least allow autos in there beyond the bottom 4.

I do not think he literally meant that the last team based on time of clinching would be in there.
I tend to agree with you, but since no one is quite sure what he literally meant, that's a badly written article.

Reaction Score
Making AQ's play in a play-in round is and has always been dumb. This was the case when it was one play-in game between Florida A&M and Texas Southern in a 65 team field and it is the case now. We're rewarding mediocre teams like UCLA and Indiana for sneaking into the field and making squads like Hampton fly into Dayton to play a game nobody watches.

Poe

Reaction Score
The 68 team idea is absurd, as was the 65 team structure. 64 teams was perfect. Adding a few more marginal teams to the field is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom