OT: Idaho AD Fired Over Sexual Assault & Harrassment Investigation | The Boneyard

OT: Idaho AD Fired Over Sexual Assault & Harrassment Investigation

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Spear came under fire after the Idaho Statesman reported on complaints by three different women, including two student-athletes, against football player Jahrie Level in 2012-13. The university and Spear have acknowledged that Title IX policy wasn’t followed when diver Mairin Jameson accused Level of sexual assault in April 2013. Level was dismissed from the team when a surveillance video surfaced backing Jameson’s allegation.

Eight former U of I female athletes have expressed concerns with Spear’s leadership to the Idaho Statesman this year, including one Vandals hall of famer, two potential hall of famers and a longtime administrator. Former distance runner Hannah Kiser, a 20-time conference champion, told the Statesman last week that Spear threatened to keep her out of the hall of fame if she transferred to Washington State for her final season after graduating from the school. Spear blocked her transfer and she left Idaho anyway, ending her career.

Kiser wrote a letter to the State Board this week urging Spear’s removal.

“I was very overjoyed to hear that he was fired,” Kiser said. “The voices of all the women who came forward were not just ignored, which often happens. But it’s just the beginning of culture change at Idaho and more transparency. It’s going to take a lot of time for people to forgive everything that has happened to them. I wouldn’t be surprised if more stories come out now that the fear of Rob being reinstated is gone, and I hope people do come forward, because it’s important to have your voice and your story heard.”

Spear was placed on an initial 60-day leavethe day before the ASUI student senate voted 10-5 to ask for his resignation. The leave was extended May 31 to provide more time for investigation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom