OT: hulu + | The Boneyard

OT: hulu +

Reaction Score
I hate comcast and looking for change from their insane bill. Anyone use it?

Reaction Score
Eh, it's alright, but it doesn't add all that much to, say, regular Hulu and Netflix. I grabbed it to watch Downton Abbey S2 (I know, I know) but I may ditch it soon.

Netflix, on the other hand, I still adore.

Reaction Score
meh, not worth the price, netflix is the way to go.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
How will you watch sporting events?

I would cut the cord (or cable in this case) immediately if there was a more robust streaming service out there. Hulu+ is great if you watch major network television, but it's lacking some key channels and programs. Netflix streaming is good, but lacks a good majority of movies. One of the key differences between the two is that you can watch the current season on Hulu+ (the new episodes appear the day after airing) whereas you wait for the season to finish to watch on Netflix.

Reaction Score
I too would love to ditch Comcast. I would replace it with Netflix (streaming and blu-ray package) as well as Hulu+. Only problem is sports. I need SNY, NESN, ESPN... Damn you Comcast!

Reaction Score
Uverse is much cheaper. I have 3 HD dvrs, sports channels and 12mbps internet for $130 a month. I think 24mbps is $5 extra a month and if you stream alot of youtube in HD then you may want to pay up. I think they throttle it on purpose as 12mbps is fast enough for HD streaming from ESPN, Netflix etc.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Can you stream all the games on espn3

No, only if they are broadcast by ESPN and aren't blacked out.

So basically, no.

But you can watch them after they are over.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Is that only for espn games or sny games also...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Thanks. Is that only for espn games or sny games also...

SNY games are technically ESPN+ so yes, you can view them after they have ended. Of course this is all subject to change after conference realignment.

Reaction Score
If only U-verse was available everywhere. We have friends in West Hartford two blocks away that have it but for some reason we can't.

Reaction Score
Eh, it's alright, but it doesn't add all that much to, say, regular Hulu and Netflix. I grabbed it to watch Downton Abbey S2 (I know, I know) but I may ditch it soon.

Netflix, on the other hand, I still adore.
Speaking of Netflix, what is the deal with Netflix suddenly having a huge decrease in available movies? Or has this always been the case with streaming movies?? Just seems like random titles both new and older movies are no longer available. Do I need to go back to hard DVD's to get all/more titles or is there a competitor that has the other titles?

Reaction Score
Speaking of Netflix, what is the deal with Netflix suddenly having a huge decrease in available movies? Or has this always been the case with streaming movies?? Just seems like random titles both new and older movies are no longer available. Do I need to go back to hard DVD's to get all/more titles or is there a competitor that has the other titles?

They lost their content deal with Epix/Starz because they wanted more than the 300 million Netflix offered them. Their content deals are constantly changing in an effort to continue their "virtuous cycle" (more subscribers > more content > more subscribers).

It's a tough business model and the stock has been up and down for awhile because of it. They did sign an exclusive deal with Disney/Marvel/Pixar but that won't hit until 2016.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I once used Hulu plus for a month because it offered a show I couldn't stream anywhere else, but the video quality was lacking and I hated the fact that it still had commercials.

Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and 1 or 2 Redbox disks a month I usually have more than enough to choose from. At $8 a month, Netflix is great if you are into catching up on TV series, enjoy independent and foreign cinema and don't need to see every new release. Most new releases and the stuff I find on the premium On-Demand channels are dreck anyway. And yes, I do have cable, but I find that I don't really utilize it aside from HBO Go, a bit of AMC and some sports.

Reaction Score
I once used Hulu plus for a month because it offered a show I couldn't stream anywhere else, but the video quality was lacking and I hated the fact that it still had commercials.

Between Netflix, Amazon Prime and 1 or 2 Redbox disks a month I usually have more than enough to choose from. At $8 a month, Netflix is great if you are into catching up on TV series, enjoy independent and foreign cinema and don't need to see every new release. Most new releases and the stuff I find on the premium On-Demand channels are dreck anyway. And yes, I do have cable, but I find that I don't really utilize it aside from HBO Go, a bit of AMC and some sports.
So my dilemna is with young children I almost never get to the movies over the last 5yrs or so. There are many movies both popular (The Fighter) and semi (Into The Wild) that I wanted to see but never got the chance. Or stupid movies like Fast&Furious-es that I might want to watch. Is a 2nd subscription to Amazon Prime the answer for accessing the Epix/Starz titles or do I need to physically go out to the local Redbox? Other option I suppose is to pretend that my home is a hotel room and give into ON Demand & paying ala carte.

Seems so backwards in that originally Netflix removed the stupid venture to roaming a giant store and paying late fees only to succumb to picking a movie because it had 100 slots in the store. The Netflix queue contained every movie you wanted to see and they were at your fingertips. You could choose when you weren't pressured and it was a nice surprise from yourself what came in the mail. Now half the titles I want don't even exist in the Netflix universe because they don't want me to realize that their library is half-a$$ed.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
So my dilemna is with young children I almost never get to the movies over the last 5yrs or so. There are many movies both popular (The Fighter) and semi (Into The Wild) that I wanted to see but never got the chance. Or stupid movies like Fast&Furious-es that I might want to watch. Is a 2nd subscription to Amazon Prime the answer for accessing the Epix/Starz titles or do I need to physically go out to the local Redbox? Other option I suppose is to pretend that my home is a hotel room and give into ON Demand & paying ala carte.

Seems so backwards in that originally Netflix removed the stupid venture to roaming a giant store and paying late fees only to succumb to picking a movie because it had 100 slots in the store. The Netflix queue contained every movie you wanted to see and they were at your fingertips. You could choose when you weren't pressured and it was a nice surprise from yourself what came in the mail. Now half the titles I want don't even exist in the Netflix universe because they don't want me to realize that their library is half-a$$ed.

Do you have a device that can stream Amazon Prime? That seems to be the best option out there in terms of the amount of titles available ... but in reality, I think only a combination of Netfflix/Prime is going to cover everything. You could also try out Vudu (although these are pay-per-movie, ala on-demand).

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
You can also rent some newer movies through Amazon that aren't on Prime, but if you need every new release you won't find everything. The issue is that movie studios want to protect the hot new-ish properties, so you're going to pay an entry fee to see them. Netflix is a good deal specifically because they pass on paying huge licensing fees for releases that will be dirt cheap a couple years later.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
A few more puzzle pieces:
  • Antenna for local HD broadcast means you'll get elections, deathstorms alerts, and some major sports championships;
  • Fairfield County libraries are particularly well stocked with movies (elsewhere mileage may vary);
  • Internet streams of ESPN, Comedy Central and other similar;
  • Local (even walkable) sports bar to fill in some gaps;
  • Friends and family to fill in remaining gaps.
I still watch only a small fraction of what I might consider worth watching

Reaction Score
You can also rent some newer movies through Amazon that aren't on Prime, but if you need every new release you won't find everything. The issue is that movie studios want to protect the hot new-ish properties, so you're going to pay an entry fee to see them. Netflix is a good deal specifically because they pass on paying huge licensing fees for releases that will be dirt cheap a couple years later.
But they've (Netflix) got a lot of older titles no longer available too. Netflix works for us b/c kids can watch various movies and they don't care about newness, quality or much else. But this actually all started when I tried to put on Superman (any CReeve version) and if you go by Netflix streaming there is no such thing as Superman unless you are talking about the old TV shows. Looks like Amazon prime has all of the titles, so seems like that is the play and cancel Netflix

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
But they've (Netflix) got a lot of older titles no longer available too. Netflix works for us b/c kids can watch various movies and they don't care about newness, quality or much else. But this actually all started when I tried to put on Superman (any CReeve version) and if you go by Netflix streaming there is no such thing as Superman unless you are talking about the old TV shows. Looks like Amazon prime has all of the titles, so seems like that is the play and cancel Netflix
I'm a fan of Prime, don't get me wrong. But some Amazon Instant movies are only available for a $2 - $4 rental fee per title or (worst case scenario) you might only have the option to buy a digital copy of a movie, which is often near the price of a physical copy. The best way to know what you can actually stream on a Prime membership is to search a title on Amazon Instant Video and then use the "Prime Eligible" filter. For instance, I just searched for Superman movies you mentioned and you'd have to rent each one a la carte for 2 or 3 bucks.

Reaction Score
I too would love to ditch Comcast. I would replace it with Netflix (streaming and blu-ray package) as well as Hulu+. Only problem is sports. I need SNY, NESN, ESPN... Damn you Comcast!
Get APPLE TV and download a program called Air Parrot... if you can find the games streaming on line (and EVERYTHING is streamed online, albeit not the best quality out of the European sights) you can use Air Parrot to stream from your computer (Apple only) directly to your APPLE TV

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom