OT How Maryland Went Broke | The Boneyard

OT How Maryland Went Broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
VERY interesting read. Thanks for posting. Makes one wonder why the BiG10 would even talk with them.... Sounds like a total mess.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
da heck with them... i realize this is a family friendly forum, so I'll keep it at that ;)

Reaction Score
Because the former athletic director pretended that there wasn't a problem so long as they had "rainy day" funds to cover the deficit, then jumped ship just before that pool of money ran out.
I still don't understand why so many people care what conference they're in. The student newspaper found a bunch of (non-athlete) freshman who are SO upset about this. They've only been at this school four months!

Reaction Score
the story failed to mention the blank check Yow gave to Frese. Their budget was close to 10x what Weller had. Then when Walz left Yow saw how poorly coached the team was, she gave Frese over $250,000. to find assistant coaches to run the team. [Frese is a figurehead who does almost no coaching] The WBB assistant coaches were paid more than the men's coaches, which made Gary Williams livid.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The ACC is trying to make sure Maryland coughs up that $52MM when it finally leaves the conference in 2014 .....

LINK

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
the story failed to mention the blank check Yow gave to Frese. Their budget was close to 10x what Weller had. Then when Walz left Yow saw how poorly coached the team was, she gave Frese over $250,000. to find assistant coaches to run the team. [Frese is a figurehead who does almost no coaching] The WBB assistant coaches were paid more than the men's coaches, which made Gary Williams livid.

Any sources to back your claims?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The ACC is trying to make sure Maryland coughs up that $52MM when it finally leaves the conference in 2014 .....

LINK
The precedent has already been set that no one actually has to pay exit fees. I'm sure UMD is counting on that anyway.

Reaction Score

You might be able to find it archived somewhere; you might not. They would have been state employees, and their salaries public record. The student newspaper prints the list for every employee at this university once a year, but it's been a while.

Reaction Score

I know several Maryland boosters, and most of this information has been in the Diamondback, or Washington Post.

I have attended practices where Frese did almost no coaching, and I know for a fact she skips practice to recruit.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I imagine many coaches skip practices to recruit.

I know that UConn's assistants are essential to the growth of the players.

Understand, I'm not a Frese fan, per se, but I'm always intrigued by blanket statements such as yours.

Reaction Score
I imagine many coaches skip practices to recruit.

I know that UConn's assistants are essential to the growth of the players.

Understand, I'm not a Frese fan, per se, but I'm always intrigued by blanket statements such as yours.

I have not heard of any head coaches skipping practice to recruit, I doubt Geno does. Can you name any coaches that do ?

Assistant coaches are important to practice, they normally compliment the head coaches directions. They do not run practice. I have seen dozens of college, and high school teams practice, and never seen a head coach less involved than Frese.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

One slight problem. It was not a blank check. A good portion of the money and benefits came from two sources: Yehuda Doron and LaMont Jordan.

Reaction Score
One slight problem. It was not a blank check. A good portion of the money and benefits came from two sources: Yehuda Doron and LaMont Jordan.

not true, one year Jordan gave $25,000. which is less than 1% of the annual budget. When Lamont's big NFL paychecks stopped so did the money. Yehuda Doron is very well off, but there is no evidence he gave " a good portion of the money ". It would be public information in Maryland's womens basketball booster club financials.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It would be public information in Maryland's womens basketball booster club financials.

Not if he was doing it under the table (such as flying recruits who were allegedly friends with his daughter to campus for visits). And yes, that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom