OT: How about those Mets? | The Boneyard

OT: How about those Mets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's the top of the 18th and they've just pulled ahead 2-1. One out and runners on 1st and 3rd.

Reaction Score
A fellow mets fan here... that was a very frustrating game to watch. It would have been horrible if they had lost.

Reaction Score
A fellow mets fan here... that was a very frustrating game to watch. It would have been horrible if they had lost.
Been a fan since the late 60's (Miracle Met's)… Of all of the teams I root for in different sports, they are my number one but there are times when I just can't watch & today was one of them. They give me that feeling of dread & I just have to turn it off, but I do check my phone regularly for updates.

Glad they won (needed that win to avoid the sweep) but they sure drive me crazy!!

Reaction Score
closet Mets fan, it's been a rough decade, when Beltran struck out in the bottom of the 9th in the 06 NLCS with the bases loaded, my heart sunk and I have yet to recover, then the 07 collapse almost finished me off, if it were not for the 86 Mets, I would not watch anymore.

Reaction Score
I know I'm probably in the extreme minority here but I think this team makes the playoffs even if they don't make a trade for another bat (which is something they absolutely need to do).

Reaction Score
I know I'm probably in the extreme minority here but I think this team makes the playoffs even if they don't make a trade for another bat (which is something they absolutely need to do).
I believe that is a possibility but they need darnaud and wright back. Those are 2 guys that'll give you timely hitting and bring in runners in scoring position.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

If d'Arnaud could get (and stay) healthy I might agree with you. But this offense is absolute garbage right now. Let's hope they DL Cuddyer and bring up Conforto.

Reaction Score
1 for 26 with men in scoring position??? That's worse than the Saaawx!

:)

Reaction Score
To Mets fans: you guys have what seems to be all the pitching in the world, but you can't hit for diddly poo... I watched that game... opportunities aplenty to take the lead in extras and time after time after time after time, choke jobs at the plate... IMO, this team has a legit shot at the playoffs... Should be buyers.. Grab a bat.. or 2... or 3 even... there are plenty of sellers... Hopefully my Yankees grab somebody (another pitcher and/or a bat to replace Stephen Drew/Brendan Ryan)...

Fact of the matter, the Mets got a legit shot to stay in this thing... the Nats are only up a couple of games...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
To Mets fans: you guys have what seems to be all the pitching in the world, but you can't hit for diddly poo... I watched that game... opportunities aplenty to take the lead in extras and time after time after time after time, choke jobs at the plate... IMO, this team has a legit shot at the playoffs... Should be buyers.. Grab a bat.. or 2... or 3 even... there are plenty of sellers... Hopefully my Yankees grab somebody (another pitcher and/or a bat to replace Stephen Drew/Brendan Ryan)...

Fact of the matter, the Mets got a legit shot to stay in this thing... the Nats are only up a couple of games...

And we go into Washington to start a three-game series tonight with Harvey, deGrom, and Syndergaard.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I've been really impressed with Matz so far. I think right now the Mets have the best starting rotation since the 1990s Braves. As another Rico mentioned, d'Arnauld getting and staying healthy is going to be huge and could quite possibly be the difference between a playoff spot and another empty October.

Reaction Score
I believe that is a possibility but they need darnaud and wright back. Those are 2 guys that'll give you timely hitting and bring in runners in scoring position.

d'Arnaud coming back would be a big help. Wright would be an even bigger boost but I'm not counting on that happening. I'm assuming Wright is never going to play again and anything he does play is an added bonus

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This is kind of like the inverse of the 1996 season. The offense was off the charts that year with Hundley, Gilkey, and Lance Johnson. The pitching couldn't have been worse though. Generation K never quite panned out.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
There's a Mets thread in the pro sports board for whenever you guys want to come be miserable with us :)

Come Wednesday at around 4 pm we'll probably have an idea of what the plan is going to be at the deadline. The Mets could be anywhere from 1 game up to 5 games back. If they're 5 games back I would probably shy away from making any serious moves unless it involves getting a good bat under 30 years old. If they manage to sweep the Nats (presumably by a total score of 3-0 over 37 innings) and they aren't buyers at the deadline, you'll probably have to put the whole fan base on suicide watch.

Reaction Score
This team is unbelievably FRUSTRATING to watch. Our pitching is among the best if not the best in the game and should be for years to come but this offense is the worst ive seen a ml team have. I read a stat that the mets are 37-5 when they score 4 or more runs:eek: but we struggle day in and day out to score even 2 runs. I have to say i dont think dArnaud or Wright are going to help much. I think Wright is finished and dArnaud is injury prone and last i remember hadnt exactly lit it up at the plate in his 2 years here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This team is unbelievably FRUSTRATING to watch.

They make it increasingly difficult to root for them. Getting tired of reading all the articles about the moves teams like the Cubs and Astros are trying to make to capitalize on their playoff potential, meanwhile the Mets are feeding the same pablum fantasy about getting Wright and/or d'Arnoud back.

Reaction Score
Harvey better have his hitting shoes on tonight because he might be the best bat in the lineup.

I kid you not...

Mets

1. Curtis Granderson
2. Ruben Tejada
3. Daniel Murphy
4. Wilmer Flores
5. John Mayberry Jr.
6. Eric Campbell
7. Juan Lagares
8. Anthony Recker
9. Matt Harvey

Reaction Score
I'm a Yankee fan, but I think they have to really consider dealing one of the young pitchers to get an impact bat. As good as their young pitching is, and its sick, their offense is utterly hideous. They will lose a lot of 2-1 games and given the Mets general "cheapness" they are not going to be able to hold onto those arms in the long run. Might as well try to flip one, get a legit bat, and try to win now. If they make the playoffs, they are a legit threat. Niese/Colon is a very solid 4th starter.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm a Yankee fan, but I think they have to really consider dealing one of the young pitchers to get an impact bat. As good as their young pitching is, and its sick, their offense is utterly hideous. They will lose a lot of 2-1 games and given the Mets general "cheapness" they are not going to be able to hold onto those arms in the long run. Might as well try to flip one, get a legit bat, and try to win now. If they make the playoffs, they are a legit threat. Niese/Colon is a very solid 4th starter.

The thing is, all we need is a league-average offense and we'll be really good. Just replacing these replacement-level players, of which we have many, with a few average players, and all of a sudden we're a much better team. No need to trade any of our young studs.

Reaction Score

you really, really don't have to tell us. The organization is just a joke. The Wilpon's claim poverty and that they don't have the funds to pay players so in NYC in an uncapped league, we have an ownership imposed cap of roughly $100 mil (21st in baseball). 2006 was Beltran looking, '07 and '08 were terrible (one historic) collapses. Then, they started trading guys away, but refused to do a Houston/Miami complete dump and rebuild. That went on for a few years until Omar's draft picks (he was no longer the GM) started looking good and since then "wait for ___" is all we have heard. Three and Four years ago it was "wait till '14", they signed Granderson and that was it. Then they didn't sign Cruz and it was "wait til '15" and they didn't sign Cruz-AGAIN-because Cuddyer is friends with David Wright and it seems to be "well we are good enough to keep people interested and can stay in the playoff race without adding any player or any salary or losing any prospects. It is infuriating. Every. Single. Night. If the Mets go down more than a run, the game is over and most times it only takes 1. This team is something like 35-4 when scoring 4 runs. And yes, perhaps Wright and D'Arnaud would have this team in first place by a game, but guess what, both are incredibly injury prone and both did get hurt and neither is playing. If you are a real team who is trying to seriously compete (I truly believe that a playoff staff of Harvey/deGromm/Syndergaard with one of the other 3 pitchers can get you to a WS if your offense is even a bit of a threat), you upgrade RF and SS. But nope, we're the Mets, competitive is OK.

We have three more years with these 5 young arms and that it because 2, maybe 3 of them will sign long term deals with the Mets. Every day that goes by with this pathetic offense is another day closer to this window closing (which can happen anyway with an injury or two). At first it was just Mets fans complaining and even then some of them continued to preach patience. Next you started to hear yankee fans calling the radio stations wondering what the hell was going on. Now it seems all of MLB is wondering the same thing, "Are the Mets really going to do nothing? How is that possible?" Bottom line is give me someone. Bring up Conforto, trade for Parra or Prado or Upton. DO SOMETHING. BUT STOP PLAYING A TEAM EVERY DAY THAT YOU KNOW HAS MAYBE 5 ML B QUALITY BATS.

Reaction Score
you really, really don't have to tell us. The organization is just a joke. The Wilpon's claim poverty and that they don't have the funds to pay players so in NYC in an uncapped league, we have an ownership imposed cap of roughly $100 mil (21st in baseball). 2006 was Beltran looking, '07 and '08 were terrible (one historic) collapses. Then, they started trading guys away, but refused to do a Houston/Miami complete dump and rebuild. That went on for a few years until Omar's draft picks (he was no longer the GM) started looking good and since then "wait for ___" is all we have heard. Three and Four years ago it was "wait till '14", they signed Granderson and that was it. Then they didn't sign Cruz and it was "wait til '15" and they didn't sign Cruz-AGAIN-because Cuddyer is friends with David Wright and it seems to be "well we are good enough to keep people interested and can stay in the playoff race without adding any player or any salary or losing any prospects. It is infuriating. Every. Single. Night. If the Mets go down more than a run, the game is over and most times it only takes 1. This team is something like 35-4 when scoring 4 runs. And yes, perhaps Wright and D'Arnaud would have this team in first place by a game, but guess what, both are incredibly injury prone and both did get hurt and neither is playing. If you are a real team who is trying to seriously compete (I truly believe that a playoff staff of Harvey/deGromm/Syndergaard with one of the other 3 pitchers can get you to a WS if your offense is even a bit of a threat), you upgrade RF and SS. But nope, we're the Mets, competitive is OK.

We have three more years with these 5 young arms and that it because 2, maybe 3 of them will sign long term deals with the Mets. Every day that goes by with this pathetic offense is another day closer to this window closing (which can happen anyway with an injury or two). At first it was just Mets fans complaining and even then some of them continued to preach patience. Next you started to hear yankee fans calling the radio stations wondering what the hell was going on. Now it seems all of MLB is wondering the same thing, "Are the Mets really going to do nothing? How is that possible?" Bottom line is give me someone. Bring up Conforto, trade for Parra or Prado or Upton. DO SOMETHING. BUT STOP PLAYING A TEAM EVERY DAY THAT YOU KNOW HAS MAYBE 5 ML B QUALITY BATS.
5 MLB quality bats? I think youre being generous. Let me show you some sickening stats:

Through 93 games this season these are the individual team leading totals:

AVG .255

HR 14

RBI 38

OBP .345

HITS 85

Our team leader has 38 RBI. Through 93 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom