OT have you ever had the blazing wings from Buffalo Wild Wings?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Scoe, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Scoe

Scoe

I can handle spicy food but wow these wings are no joke at all I had to stop at 2 wings, and you really pay the price the next day.

August_West likes this.
  2. August_West

August_West Ask me about Cuba's Healthcare outcomes

Yes. A few years ago my brother and I went together take the blazing challenge. ( 12 wings in six minutes, no water, dipping sauce, napkins) . We are very competitive ( for example I ruptured an ACL playing ping pong against him) .

I'm sad to say that my brother bested me in this one. He actually beat the challenge and got a T-shirt and his pic on the wall or something . Me? I was on my 9th wing and my eyes were tearing and sweat dripping into them so I reflexively tried to rub sweat from eye with back of the hand and got some sauce in my eye. Probably a miniscule amount but it didn't take much. That immediately took me out because while the sauce was ridiculous to the mouth it was worse in the eye and I had to sprint to rest room sink. Almost went to hospital.

Oh we had to sign a waiver that they werent responsible for our deaths , too. I have some pics from that , they are pretty funny. It was painful. My family trains for this stuff though we've been eating ridiculous peppers at our fathers behest for 30 plus years, this sauce was as hot as anything I've had but in such an artificial way.

Drew, Bryan Lord, David 76 and 3 others like this.
  3. superjohn

superjohn

Buffalo Wild Wings is an abomination.

Drew, BJ_Toscano, tzznandrew and 10 others like this.
  4. 8893

8893 Curiouser

I would pay to watch video of this.

Did your brother suffer at the other end?

John likes this.
  5. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

Gave up this kinda thing after turning 30. Once beat a Black Beret vet in a Tianjin pepper eating contest (a mere 50K Scovilles). Peppers only, no food. Ate 30 of 'em in 3 minutes. Chewy bastards. Decided it was among the stupider things I've done.

Not to be a wet blanket, but why eat a bunch of something that really doesn't taste that good (and IMO, these BBW wings fit that description - all heat and vinegar, flavor leaves much to be desired) with some artificial rules for a freaking t-shirt and become a promotional vehicle for a national chain? If it were for a cash prize, I'd understand.

If I'm with a group of like-minded friends who are all into sharing a half dozen of whatever the most ridiculous wing sauce is on the menu, I'll go for that. But just one or two. Haven't been taken down by anything yet. IIRC, Mad Dog 357 almost did. But I also stay away from any label that says, "Blair's X a.m." because I think that stuff might just wreck me. I can't imagine being a taste tester for Blair's. I would think their "Reserve" line should be classified as toxic.

6. August_West

we both did. It was bad. And that was a problem for me because I paid the big price for nothing. At least my brother achieved the goal.
    I can eat real, real spicy Indian and Thai with little repercussions.
    Straight up hot peppers too, some minor discomfort but fine.
    I find what I call overly artificial manners of achieving high heat to be the worst the next day. Way more than an insane raw pepper.

7. August_West

I hate them as much, if not more than Turkey and Ketchup.

8. superjohn

superjohn

I once ate two whole habanero peppers for no particular reason, it was incredibly unpleasant and I spent the entire next day on the toilet. That was my last time eating really hot peppers, no clue how people can stomach ghost peppers or a scorpion pepper.

August_West likes this.
  9. Bliss

Bliss Mizzou Ballyhoo

Incredibly hot wings have no flavor. Best sauce on the planet is from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY, home of the original buffalo wing. You can order the stuff online and use it at home on fried, grilled, smoked, or baked wings (I prefer the first two) and it's absolutely addictive.

pepband99 and Scoe like this.
  10. Eskapeesto

Eskapeesto The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool

11. Minicoop69

Minicoop69

this dude was on Tosh.O i believe at some point.

12. Dogdeacon

Dogdeacon

Hmm, maybe worth a try although I had lunch at the Anchor Bar about 20yrs ago and the wings were mediocre, easily a half dozen places in Albany that I've tasted much better wings from.

13. Doheny

Doheny Resides in Ollie Alley

Not so hot!

My son and I did the BWW hot wings challenge at the NC this year. He finished in 3:15. I took my time, finished in 3:45, and asked for more. We both agreed that the sauce was not too hot, and was not a problem, as long as you didn't get in in your eyes.

CL82, JonnyRI and August_West like this.
  14. August_West

1) Excellent job.
    2) From my understanding the Blazing challenge is kinda suspect in that depending who is cooking that night you can get a large variance in the actual amount of heat on those wings.
    3) I dont say number 2 to minimize your accomplishment as I am quite certain what you and your son found as doable would probably set 99.9 percent of the country ablaze.

15. BUConn10

BUConn10 Artist formerly known as BUHusky10

I think BWW uses bat meat for its wings judging by quality. But then again I've heard it called "chicken of the cave" so there's that.

16. Hans Sprungfeld

Hans Sprungfeld Ignoring *is* bliss

17. Deepster

Deepster

Why are you trying to belittle the guy's accomplishments? Your veiled praise reeks of jealousy and it's not his fault your little sissy stomach couldn't handle it.

Huskybass, tzznandrew, Doheny and 2 others like this.
  18. uchusky32

uchusky32

What a looser! :)

tzznandrew and August_West like this.
  19. August_West

Because hes a blow hard delicate flower who obviously got a weak batch with his son. I was just trying to be nice and create a feeling of unity., but since you just poked the bear with a stick; I'll out scoville anyone on this board and even spot them them 500,000 units as a handicap.

Bring it on cotton mouths.

[​IMG]

UConnTrumbull likes this.
  20. Deepster

Deepster

a) Typically, most chain restaurants are very clear in recipe measures and portions. That's how the crappy dishes at your favorite Applebee's tastes the same as the Applebee's in East BumScalito, Wisconsin.
    b) If you ARE correct in that this challenge can vary.....maybe, just maybe his batch was HOTTER than yours. You don't know that it wasn't.

David 76 likes this.
  21. August_West

Buffalo wild wings is a special kind of suck.
    If you hang out on message boards where men are, they acknowledge the different levels of preparation that you can get even at the SAME BWW.

Men are talking here. Me and Doheny and his kid will settle this over a Carolina Reaper.
    Unless you want to forgo your Turkey Marbey and Kombucha and join us, or take up the challenge on his behalf, we will call your interjection well meaning and kinda sweet.

22. superjohn

superjohn

Your brother sounds way more alpha than you.

23. Deepster

Deepster

Says the "man" who ate a pepper and ran to the bathroom and almost had to 'go to the hospital'.

24. JonnyRI

JonnyRI The files are in the computer

I love this - a boneyard wing throw down challenge (this is actually doheny's other son)!

Name the time and place August (I drive to gampel from ri so don't kill me with someplace in Danbury).

I will decline visiting your "men's message boards" though, I think that is something that would be blocked from my server at work.

tzznandrew, David 76, 8893 and 3 others like this.
  25. August_West

see, now there is a man. He obviously comes from hearty stock. We will eat hot peppers and wings and hoist beers like men.

Not like @Deepster who wont eat anything hotter than a banana pepper.

dont sweat visiting the message board there is a whole subreddit dedicated to the challenge.

You may make fun of my premature exit (my brother does still) from the wing challenge but remember 3 things:

1) I owned my loss like a man (are you starting to see a common thread here ?)
    2) I dont see you documenting a wing or pepper challenge. Maybe we can eat some unwashed sprouts together? Sounds dangerous.
    3) The "almost hospital" was for me stupidly rubbing sauce into my eye. Not because I couldnt eat them. I mightve still lost to my brother but I am pretty certain I wouldve completed challenge.

4) bonus remembrance. My avatar. There is a reason for my Avatar. Im sure you remember. Youd do well to keep it in your frontal lobe.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Huskyforlife, Doheny, nomar and 2 others like this.