OT: Haunted CT History | The Boneyard

OT: Haunted CT History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im looking to create a unit of Haunted CT History to teach local history. My argument is that haunted history/ghost stories explain a lot about culture through the ways people develop and disseminate stories through word of worth.

What is your experience with this? Not saying you had to see a ghost. What kind of haunted stories are popular in your town or region of the state? Could be something well known (ie Charles Island in Milford) or something few people have heard of. Thanks!

Reaction Score
I've got a bunch of people in my family that believe that kind of nonsense. I usually stop listening after a few moments.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
The "White Lady" is said to haunt Union Cemetary off of Sport Hill Road in Easton. Back in the mid 90s when I was an undergrad, I saw the Warren's Halloween show at Jorgensen and they talked at length about her.

Reaction Score
Two of the best known are the White Lady in Union Cemetery and Ledge Light in New London. In addition, Dudleytown is pretty legendary. I'm pretty sure New Haven has a whole "Haunted Tour" as well.

MrP

Reaction Score
Seventh Day Baptist Cemetery in Burlington (aka "Green Lady Cemetery"). Folks claim to see a misty green lady walking around (she went out searching for her husband in a snow storm and never came home).

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I've heard a lot about Dudleytown as well. I don't think you can actually get to it anymore, but could be wrong. Why not go to the source. Check out www.warrens.net for the website of Ed & Lorraine Warren and their Occult Museum. Ed passed a number of years ago, but his wife and son (or son-in-law, not sure) are still active.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Two of the best known are the White Lady in Union Cemetery and Ledge Light in New London. In addition, Dudleytown is pretty legendary. I'm pretty sure New Haven has a whole "Haunted Tour" as well.
My Aunt is buried at Union Cemetery. I've been there numerous times just before dark and never got any weird feelings or seen anything. The upstairs of the library in Newtown is supposedly haunted by the daughter of the family that lived there. There is also a blue colonial house on the upper part of Main Street in Newtown that's supposed to be haunted. The best one I know is an old farm house in Derby on Buckingham Road. It was featured on the show 'A Haunting'. It's abandoned now. The area was supposed to be heavily populated by Native Americans until the 1600's and supposedly there is a burial ground nearby. There is also a farm on the road adjacent to it that gives you a really weird feeling. There are large boulders randomly scattered in a pasture. Just a creepy place. I encourage you to drive by the house close to dusk and judge for yourself.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've got a bunch of people in my family that believe that kind of nonsense. I usually stop listening after a few moments.
Exactly. What a waste of valuable teaching time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I grew up in Stratford and Phelps Mansion was always considered haunted, with various tales handed down over the years and lots of local lore to which we probably even contributed with our stories of derring-do while walking by or riding by on our bikes.

It was during the Warrens' heyday and I remember them coming to investigate on more than one occasion. The house is long gone, but here are some websites recounting that history:

http://www.damnedct.com/phelps-mansion-stratford

http://www.prairieghosts.com/stratford.html

Reaction Score
Ghost stories are very popular amongst security guards who work the grave yard shift. Use to Work at GE in Stamford Ct, and grown men wouldnt do the night tour because of the lady in the red dress (apparently she killed herself in the building and now she is stuck there). I never encountered her, but others claim they have seen her and that she is real!

The one that i was a bit scared of was an old mansion from the late 1800's in (norwalk/ rowayton). The place was turned into a hedge fund trading company and they built a modern wing on to it. However at night between 12-8am the guard on duty has to patrol the grounds at least twice. That means walking around the haunted old mansion which makes all kinds of sounds when nobody is there. Oh yea and the near by residents dont want to be disturbed by the lights of the building so at night, lights out. The place is very intimidating in the dark with with old fancy wood work, stained glass with metal art work over it (weird symbols that look evil), carvings of faces and all kinds of fancy scary in the dark art work. I worked there for a little over a year. When i gave my notice i ended up working about about 6 more weeks until they could finally find someone willing to replace me. Gaurds would show up, work a shift with me and never come back LOL. Never saw a ghost. Although i did see a huge collection of dust mites gathering in a single location that scared me a bit. I was later told that was some sort of spirit or something, not sure i buy that. Also had like an 90+ year old lady walk up to the front door and start asking if the millers were home. Said the kids were playing out back, kinda spooked me out (she was with a young man in a jeep who was kind of motioning to let me know to just go along with it).

I always though security guards would make an awesome reality tv show lol!

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I grew up in Stratford and Phelps Mansion was always considered haunted, with various tales handed down over the years and lots of local lore to which we probably even contributed with our stories of derring-do while walking by or riding by on our bikes.

It was during the Warrens' heyday and I remember them coming to investigate on more than one occasion. The house is long gone, but here are some websites recounting that history:

http://www.damnedct.com/phelps-mansion-stratford

http://www.prairieghosts.com/stratford.html
Yeah I remember attending one of their talks at Johnson Jr. High, and going through the old mansion on more than one occasion. It is amazing what the pre-adolescent mind is capable of creating with only a whisper. If I recall the History of Stratford had a chapter on the Phelps Mansion, Stratford Knockings or some such, that recounted the origins of the story. Wasn't it associated with a woman who was hanged as a witch. There's some "wonderful" results of overactive imaginations.

Reaction Score
Well if you believe in fairytales like Bigfoot, God, and the Loch Ness Monster I guess you'd have to include Midnight Mary in the Evergreen Cemetary in New Haven. Some silly hocus pocus about bad things happening to people who visit her grave or something.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah I remember attending one of their talks at Johnson Jr. High, and going through the old mansion on more than one occasion. It is amazing what the pre-adolescent mind is capable of creating with only a whisper. If I recall the History of Stratford had a chapter on the Phelps Mansion, Stratford Knockings or some such, that recounted the origins of the story. Wasn't it associated with a woman who was hanged as a witch. There's some "wonderful" results of overactive imaginations.
That all sounds right to me, including the "Stratford Knockings" part.

As an aside, my older brother and sister attended Johnson Jr. High; I was at Great Neck Grammar School at the time. Do you know that it's "Stratford Academy: Johnson House" now? I can still vividly remember studying their yearbooks from Johnson Jr. High, fascinated by the diversity of ethnicity, fashion and hairstyles. And I also remember them being home from school occasionally because school was closed due to "race riots." Were you there for that? I tried explaining it to my kids a few years ago and they couldn't believe it. I'd love to take a look through those yearbooks now--it would be like a time capsule.

Reaction Score
Howard Fast (the author/novelist) once owned a house on Stoney Brook Road in Westport that was said to be haunted because a murder had occurred there (before he owned it). When the house was on the market a few years ago, the then-current owners had difficulty selling it because of rumors that it was haunted by the murder victim.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Howard Fast (the author/novelist) once owned a house on Stoney Brook Road in Westport that was said to be haunted because a murder had occurred there (before he owned it). When the house was on the market a few years ago, the then-current owners had difficulty selling it because of rumors that it was haunted by the murder victim.
Talk about hauntings... Hi CTO!
Oh and in California, there is an obligation in all Real Estate deed transfers that the seller disclose any deaths that occurred on the property and especially in the house. Apparently this was codified as results of requests by various ethnic groups who believe in this sort of thing. My neighbor (when I lived there) told us the story of our place being the scene of a child drowning and how difficult it was to find a buyer.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
That all sounds right to me, including the "Stratford Knockings" part.

As an aside, my older brother and sister attended Johnson Jr. High; I was at Great Neck Grammar School at the time. Do you know that it's "Stratford Academy: Johnson House" now? I can still vividly remember studying their yearbooks from Johnson Jr. High, fascinated by the diversity of ethnicity, fashion and hairstyles. And I also remember them being home from school occasionally because school was closed due to "race riots." Were you there for that? I tried explaining it to my kids a few years ago and they couldn't believe it. I'd love to take a look through those yearbooks now--it would be like a time capsule.
I was a year removed from the "riots" - it occurred the year prior to my attendance. Yeah it was a wildly varied school when I attended, and completely different from Trumbull High which I attended afterward. It wasn't as bad as the people made it out to be, really just the result of typical male adolescence and our propensity for foolish violence. Much of the difficulty we faced was that very few of us were from "stable" homes. The demographic was decidedly lower middle class, and there was a great deal angst between the "haves" and "have-nots" (or have-little). And boy was it different from THS where the "haves" were the norm.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was a year removed from the "riots" - it occurred the year prior to my attendance. Yeah it was a wildly varied school when I attended, and completely different from Trumbull High which I attended afterward. It wasn't as bad as the people made it out to be, really just the result of typical male adolescence and our propensity for foolish violence. Much of the difficulty we faced was that very few of us were from "stable" homes. The demographic was decidedly lower middle class, and there was a great deal angst between the "haves" and "have-nots" (or have-little). And boy was it different from THS where the "haves" were the norm.

I have only one word from my memory of Trumbull High School that I am sure will trigger a memory for you: Applebaum.

I didn't attend THS or live in Trumbull, but I had a few friends there at the time, and even more friends who lived in Trumbull. I've yet to meet someone who was around Trumbull in the 80s who doesn't have an Applebaum story...or ten.

Reaction Score
Simsbury high graduate here.

That place will always be the Chart House too me.

And the old well is always Geminis too :)
Same here. They've changed the name of those places so many times, I can barely keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom