OT: Happy Birthday Harry Chapin | The Boneyard

OT: Happy Birthday Harry Chapin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had he not died tragically young he would have been 70 today. He was born the very day the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. As a songwriter whose songs reflected and commented on the social conditions of the day, I can only imagine the songs he would have written between 1981 and today. I still miss you, Harry :(

Reaction Score
Loved Harry...saw him for the last time in the late '70's at the Circle Star in San Mateo, CA...he was great. The theater had a revolving stage so every seat had a good view during part of the performance. Harry had played there many times and when he came to the mike he said, "It's good to be back on the rotisserie..." RIP Harry...

Reaction Score
Well, either that or McArthur Park, which was also incredibly long and drove Top 40 program managers nuts.

Reaction Score
Great comments about Harry Chapin. His music was just so different from most everyone else's and it seemed to resonate with all sorts of people.

Reaction Score
Well, either that or McArthur Park, which was also incredibly long and drove Top 40 program managers nuts.
McArthur Park, at 7:21 beats out Taxi at 6:44.

I was a huge Chapin fan. It's where the "Chap" part of my handle comes from. Saw him in concert 5 times, two of those times were back to back concerts in the same night. Other than the standards "Taxi", "Cat's in the Cradle" and a few other songs he always did in concert( "50,000 Pounds of Bananas" a big audience participation song), the sets were completely different in each show. Two of his longer ballads "Bummer" and "Sniper", which were seldom performed as part of his standard concert lineup, were included, one in each show. That was the best night ever!

Reaction Score
How many people know that Harry bailed out of the Air Force Academy? Landed at Cornell.

My ex-wife was in his circle, as her best bud at Ithaca College was the girlfriend of the band manager. When she came back from her first Thanksgiving vacation she was a little down since her lifelong pet basset hound had just died. To comfort her, Harry wrote a song about the dog. Unfortunately, the music and lyrics did not survive.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
McArthur Park, at 7:21 beats out Taxi at 6:44.

I was a huge Chapin fan. It's where the "Chap" part of my handle comes from. Saw him in concert 5 times, two of those times were back to back concerts in the same night. Other than the standards "Taxi", "Cat's in the Cradle" and a few other songs he always did in concert( "50,000 Pounds of Bananas" a big audience participation song), the sets were completely different in each show. Two of his longer ballads "Bummer" and "Sniper", which were seldom performed as part of his standard concert lineup, were included, one in each show. That was the best night ever!

"He said Listen you people I've got a question
You won't pay attention but I'll ask anyhow.
I found a way that will get me an answer.
Been waiting to ask you 'til now.
Right now!

Am I?"

Reaction Score
"He said Listen you people I've got a question
You won't pay attention but I'll ask anyhow.
I found a way that will get me an answer.
Been waiting to ask you 'til now.
Right now!

Am I?"
I am a lover who's never been kissed.
Am I?
I am a fighter who's not made a fist.
Am I?
If I'm alive, then there's so much I've missed.
How do I know I exist?
Are you listening to me?
Are you listening to me?
AM I?

Looks like I will be listening to some Chapin music this weekend.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Harry was born on the 1-year anniversary of the attack, in 1942.

Ironically, I'm headed out to watch the parade commemorating the attack, which will go by my Waikiki hotel in about 2 hours.

Your Man in Honolulu. :)

Reaction Score
Had he not died tragically young he would have been 70 today. He was born the very day the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. As a songwriter whose songs reflected and commented on the social conditions of the day, I can only imagine the songs he would have written between 1981 and today. I still miss you, Harry :(

I saw him in concert in Central Park in the 70's when they had those evening free concerts. You could get high from the odor just wafting over the concert area. Great concert, but he is not my favorite favorite like he is yours.

Reaction Score

Ironically, I'm headed out to watch the parade commemorating the attack, which will go by my Waikiki hotel in about 2 hours.

I am losing it! I am truly starting to worry about my mental state. If I can't keep my favorite singers birthday straight with Pearl Harbor I am officially old. On the good news front it does explain my occasional lapse with "Steph"!

Reaction Score
I am losing it! I am truly starting to worry about my mental state. If I can't keep my favorite singers birthday straight with Pearl Harbor I am officially old. On the good news front it does explain my occasional lapse with "Steph"!

It's the concussion from the Mexican horseriding accident.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Waikiki! And here I am basking in cold CT drizzle. Any other islands on the agenda? Kanoe Miller at the Halekulani. If she's still performing there it's worth a visit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Waikiki! And here I am basking in cold CT drizzle. Any other islands on the agenda? Kanoe Miller at the Halekulani. If she's still performing there it's worth a visit.
Just Waikiki this trip, but Maui (again) in March. I had a brain cramp myself and scheduled it to conflict with the Big East tourney. But I'll be back for the NCAAs.

The weather is so-so (by local standards): partly cloudy and 79. One of my goals in retirement is to wear flip flops every day. On Thursday when I get home, I'll need to adjust my standards. :(

The Honolulu Marathon is tomorrow at 5 AM. My current status is cheering. Maybe I'll run next year. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just don't call her "Staph."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom