OT: Great Old Movie Starting | The Boneyard

OT: Great Old Movie Starting

Reaction Score
Watching it right now! And, looking at the Boneyard Posts at the same time.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One of my favorites. Fantastic cast.

Right now I'm watching The Battle of Britain with Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer and Suzanna York.

Reaction Score
One of my favorites. Fantastic cast.

Right now I'm watching The Battle of Britain with Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer and Suzanna York.

That was a great movie as well. I am in mood for something more tranquil, this afternoon.

Reaction Score
Turner Classic Movies: DTV 256 The Quiet Man "Here's a stick to beat the lovely lady with." Gems like that.

Lest we upset the modern sensibilities, the jokes went both ways:

Michaleen Flynn: "Is this a courting or a donnybrook? Have the good manners not to hit the man until he's your husband and entitled to hit you back."

There are so many lines in this movie, perhaps second only to Casablanca in terms of memorable dialogue, My personal favorite:

Father Peter Lonergan: "Ah, yes... I knew your people, Sean. Your grandfather; he died in Australia, in a penal colony. And your father, he was a good man too."

There is so much interesting trivia on this movie - one well known "secret" trom the IMDB web site:

At the film's conclusion, after the credits, we see Kate and Sean standing in their garden waving good-bye.
Maureen O'Hara turns to John Wayne and whispers something in his ear, evoking a priceless reaction from Wayne. What was said was known only to O'Hara, Wayne and director John Ford. In exchange for saying this unscripted bit of text, O'Hara insisted that the exact line never be disclosed by any involved parties. In her memoirs she says that she refused to say the line at first as she "couldn't possibly say that to Duke", but Ford insisted, claiming he needed a genuine shock reaction from Wayne. The line remains a mystery to this day.

With Maureen O'Hara's passing in 2015, no one will ever know what she said, but when you see John Wayne's reaction, you know she said something...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lest we upset the modern sensibilities, the jokes went both ways:

Michaleen Flynn: "Is this a courting or a donnybrook? Have the good manners not to hit the man until he's your husband and entitled to hit you back."

There are so many lines in this movie, perhaps second only to Casablanca in terms of memorable dialogue, My personal favorite:

Father Peter Lonergan: "Ah, yes... I knew your people, Sean. Your grandfather; he died in Australia, in a penal colony. And your father, he was a good man too."

There is so much interesting trivia on this movie - one well known "secret" trom the IMDB web site:

At the film's conclusion, after the credits, we see Kate and Sean standing in their garden waving good-bye.
Maureen O'Hara turns to John Wayne and whispers something in his ear, evoking a priceless reaction from Wayne. What was said was known only to O'Hara, Wayne and director John Ford. In exchange for saying this unscripted bit of text, O'Hara insisted that the exact line never be disclosed by any involved parties. In her memoirs she says that she refused to say the line at first as she "couldn't possibly say that to Duke", but Ford insisted, claiming he needed a genuine shock reaction from Wayne. The line remains a mystery to this day.

With Maureen O'Hara's passing in 2015, no one will ever know what she said, but when you see John Wayne's reaction, you know she said something...

The penal colony business always makes me laugh.

Reaction Score
Turner Classic Movies: DTV 256 The Quiet Man "Here's a stick to beat the lovely lady with." Gems like that.

Great director--did many of Waynes movies---but he should have made a movie of the 5 nations (Iroquois Confederation) Women owned everything --children learned the mothers heritage--lineage was through the mother--Some women were actually Chiefs. Not much stick beating there!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My favorite John Wayne movie but what a great supporting cast.
Yeah mine too, though True Grit is a close second.

My favorite Quiet Man lines:

"You say three and you'll never hear the man count to 10."

And ...

"This has been a fight fine. I'd have come a long way to see it..."
"I hope you'll be able to stick around 'til the end of it."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members