OT: great article on chess in Hartford and.....life! | The Boneyard

OT: great article on chess in Hartford and.....life!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Program Pays It Forward With North End Chess Lessons

The link takes you to an article about a growing chess club for kids in the North End of Hartford.
Very interesting! The one who started the club...Dan Pelletier...says that one of the residents who is coaching the kids up is Ron Bonner....who he calls the best player in the city. Some of Bonner's quotes are spot-on about the connections between chess and life. Hmmm....might not be a bad idea if Geno considered bring Bonner to Storrs for a motivational talk at some point.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
60 Minutes had a nice story on kids and chess recently. I never understood chess, I'm a checkers guy!

Reaction Score
60 Minutes had a nice story on kids and chess recently. I never understood chess, I'm a checkers guy!
That was an exceptional story on 60 min's .
Kids of Every stratus of society, middle society or less--(this included me)--reaps huge analytical and thinking abilities by learning chess. Daddy---those kids shown were successful.
I'm not sure about allocating class time to the game--but setting up and teaching clubs of Chess is highly recommended, by me.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The only time I got psyched about chess was waaaay back when Fischer and Spassky dueled for the world championship.....maybe in the early
1970's[?]

I went to the local Y to see what was up....learned how the pieces moved.....but couldn't see one move ahead much less more than that.
Russia vs. USA did draw my attention. Fischer was kinda nuts....was he not?

The Courant article was great....hope the game catches on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom