OT: Got Mattress? | The Boneyard

OT: Got Mattress?

Reaction Score
Ok lately my wife and I seem to be unable to sleep through the night without getting up or tossing and turning. This includes with or without activities. We need some good mattress recommendations. She (I wasn't with her) brought an expensive queen firm mattress but its not working for me.

I'm seeing those that can control either side (i.e. lifts up).

What are you guys sleeping on and what do you like? Any manufacturers you swear by?

Also where (and how) to shop? I'm going with her this time but I don't have a clue on where and how to buy a mattress.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I have no idea if these guys are good, but when I'm in the market for a new one I will definitely be checking them out.

Reaction Score
Why doesnt anybody sleep in Waterbeds anymore?

Get a waterbed OP!
I'm not the most nimble person, and whenever I'm on them I have a hard time getting off of them. Also can't sit on them, iron clothes on them, eat on them or read a book on them. At our age we multi-task on our mattress, as you can tell.

Reaction Score
Tempur-pedic memory mattress. I forget which brand I have, but I know it was about $900 and worth every penny as I've had it for 12 years now and it's no different than when it was unwrapped for the first time, hence the memory foam. It feels dence when you lay down, and some people don't like that, but to me it's feels like you're lying on a cloud, but with firmness, if that makes sense. Another benefit is that you can drop a 250 pound weight on one side and your partner on the other wouldn't feel thing. Thus, getting in and out of bed throughout the night or tossing and turning is less likely to wake up your partner. So my vote is for the Tempur-pedic memory foam him brands. I think, to this day, they still get the highest ratings of all mattresses.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Tempur-pedic memory mattress. I forget which brand I have, but I know it was about $900 and worth every penny as I've had it for 12 years now and it's no different than when it was unwrapped for the first time, hence the memory foam. It feels dence when you lay down, and some people don't like that, but to me it's feels like you're lying on a cloud, but with firmness, if that makes sense. Another benefit is that you can drop a 250 pound weight on one side and your partner on the other wouldn't feel thing. Thus, getting in and out of bed throughout the night or tossing and turning is less likely to wake up your partner. So my vote is for the Tempur-pedic memory foam him brands. I think, to this day, they still get the highest ratings of all mattresses.

I tried to sleep on one once. Was at a friend's house in Florida. Ended up sleeping in a fold-up chase lounge I dragged in from the patio outside the guest room. It was a cool January night, but after ten minutes on the memory foam mattress, I had thrown all the covers off, and I was still sweating.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We had a pure latex mattress we loved. All the benefits of Tempur Pedic, but not rock hard when it's cold. Finally replaced it as a wore out with what they now call a Hybrid. It's essentially foam on top (not just a topper, but like the whole top half) with coils below.

I suggest going to Sleepys with your spouse and laying on every damned one they have. I think most people get mattresses that are way too firm. That's what ours was before the latex one. Firm mattresses create pressure points for side sleepers, and those pressure points build and build until you roll. So you end up rolling over all night long.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
About eight years ago I replaced a Sealy I had bought 30+ years ago with another from Macy's. This was a more expensive Pillow top that I paid a grand for. Had to return it in less than a month due to sagging quite a few inches. Bought a Simmons pillow top, same price and store and same problem only this one lasted 2-3 months. I remembered when we used to go on vacation to place that had Certa mattresses and how I had such a good night sleep. I went to a Sleepy's store and bought a pillow top (about a grand) and it has been great. My take is that Sealy and Simmons had outsourced the mattress manufacturing (believe it was in NJ) and the result was poor quality; probably the same manufacturer. Nothing worse on the psyche than a bad nights sleep. Good luck.

Reaction Score
I got a cheap $400 mattress at savers and it's the best mattress I've ever slept on. I'll find the brand when I get home. It's about 4 years old now and holding up just fine.

Reaction Score
How much do you weigh? And do you leave ruts where you sleep that become permanent? I'm tired of sleeping in that rut, but as much as I have researched, I haven't found something well-liked enough to try. Nicest mattress I have slept on in years was at a Hilton just outside Boston. Even begged them to tell me who supplied them. No help.

Reaction Score
How much do you weigh? And do you leave ruts where you sleep that become permanent? I'm tired of sleeping in that rut, but as much as I have researched, I haven't found something well-liked enough to try. Nicest mattress I have slept on in years was at a Hilton just outside Boston. Even begged them to tell me who supplied them. No help.
I'm 175 pounds. But no matter what weight you are, the mattress doesn't leave those ruts/divots. It will get softer the longer you lay on it without getting up, but it won't form any ruts where are your arm falls asleep. That won't happen with this mattress. no matter how much weight is placed on it and no matter how long or how many years, it always returns back to its original firm form. Some people complain that it feels like a rock when it's cold, but that's temporary and within 10 minutes it warms/softens up, but always remains firm. I know what you mean though about ruts, happened on my couches until I bought another Tempur-pedic memory foam king, and had it custom cut to same size as my existing couch cushions, and to this day over, a decade later, it firm, confirm, and no worn divots. Everyone's different, but I swear by these. Just don't get the cheap memory foam toppers. You need to bite the bullet and got the real deal which will run you about a grand but worth it and some might have trial free returns

Reaction Score
I'm with RichZ on the heat problem -- yes, even the newer ones that are supposedly "moisture-wicking". It would probably be a great weight-loss tool . . .

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My fiancé and I are the third owners (passed down from her parents to her sister to us) of a 15 years old posturpedic king size and that thing is awesome. Takes a small army to move it but it's worth it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Buy a chillipad and thank me later.

Reaction Score
I sleep in a Marriott 120+ nights of the year, so I bought a bed from them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom