OT: golf...The Players scoreboard....starts Thursday | The Boneyard

OT: golf...The Players scoreboard....starts Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The Players Championship Leaderboard and Scoring: The Players Championship - TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

The Players Championship is not a major but of the non-majors it is the best.
The best field of the year....and a great finishing trio of holes:

16: risk/reward par 5....realistic scores range from 3 to 6.
17: famous island hole...shortish par 3....a devilish delight. Realistic scores from 2 to 'a whole bunch'.
18: tough par 4....water on the left for the entire hole. realistic scores from 3 t0 6

Reaction Score
The Players Championship Leaderboard and Scoring: The Players Championship - TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

The Players Championship is not a major but of the non-majors it is the best.
The best field of the year....and a great finishing trio of holes:

16: risk/reward par 5....realistic scores range from 3 to 6.
17: famous island hole...shortish par 3....a devilish delight. Realistic scores from 2 to 'a whole bunch'.
18: tough par 4....water on the left for the entire hole. realistic scores from 3 t0 6
I live 10 minutes from it... Played it many times. It is much tougher than it looks. As a very low handicap my whole life I can assure you that when you miss a green it can be difficult to make bogey. The layup on 2, 9, 11 and 16 are far more demanding than most realize. The shots that Fowler hit on 17 were exceptional last year - and the tee shots on 18 were just as good.

Reaction Score
The rough here in Florida is sooooo different. The grass up north is so much easier to pitch and chip from. Bent is easy. Bermuda is a crapshoot.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Citrus: will you be in the gallery this year on any day? If so...I'd love to hear your wisdom on anything we are not seeing on TV.

Reaction Score
Citrus: will you be in the gallery this year on any day? If so...I'd love to hear your wisdom on anything we are not seeing on TV.

I'm sorry - I will not. I know the course very well and when I sethem hit the ball into certain sots - I know they're dead.

The Bermuda grass is like a little tree and when that gets between the face and the ball it literally is a crapshoot how the ball comes out. It may deaden the hit - or make it come out tumbling. That is why the 'bunker type shot is preferred. It essentially just lifts the ball and other stuff up onto the air and drops its it. The roll after that kind of drop it the easiest method - for somewhat judging what it will do. My friend is Mike Knox - father of Russell Knox - and the last round I saw out there before the strokes was a 66 from the tips by him.
You will see them try to him the ball into bunkers - as it is a much easier shot than the rough. I've played it with greens at 13 - and it is unbelievably tough. When the wind blows its no longer fun... it's an expense.

The island green is not that tough to hit when there is no wind. The only time I missed it was with strong wind off the ocean - fortunately I got the ball up and down for bogey. The other 10 or so times I made par - with about 3 bogeys from 3 putts - a brutal green to 2 putt from 25+ feet. Where Fowler hit the winning shot (to right of that pin) is absolutely insane to go after. yes, there is a about 15 feet to the right at over 400 feet over water. He either pushed it - or has balls the size of Montana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom