OT: Godzingis | The Boneyard

OT: Godzingis

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not a Knicks fan at all, but watching this kid tear it up so far is the second (Curry) most exciting story in the NBA thus far -- as a casual fan.

A skinny European bean pole who was widely panned at the 4th pick, and he looks nice. Don't know if he'll keep it up, but he has the tools. Hungry. Seems like a good dude too.

CUYqDx7VAAEyRtd.jpg

Reaction Score
Not a Knicks fan at all, but watching this kid tear it up so far is the second (Curry) most exciting story in the NBA thus far -- as a casual fan.

A skinny European bean pole who was widely panned at the 4th pick, and he looks nice. Don't know if he'll keep it up, but he has the tools. Hungry. Seems like a good dude too.

CUYqDx7VAAEyRtd.jpg
I'm a Knick fan since '69 (Met's, Jet's, Knicks)…

Must say, looking at that "bean-pole" on draft day it seemed like there was some real bust potential there (was thinking Shawn Bradley)… Gotta give Phil Jackson some credit for going this route. Took the risk & it really seems to have payed off.

I was impressed with the way the kid handled the boo's on draft day… He smiled & said he dreamed of playing in New York. Knew the fans were demanding & welcomed the challenge of proving himself here (paraphrasing)…

This kid has actually made me not only tune into Knicks game, but I have even watched a few from start to finish (never an easy task). Even Melo seems energized by this kids arrival.

It will be interesting to see how he holds up over the long hall, but he seems to have some toughness about him (mental & physical) that will hopefully serve him well.

Reaction Score
I thought this was the worst pick of the draft. God was I wrong. Good for Kristaps. Much respect.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm a Knick fan since '69 (Met's, Jet's, Knicks)…

Must say, looking at that "bean-pole" on draft day it seemed like there was some real bust potential there (was thinking Shawn Bradley)… Gotta give Phil Jackson some credit for going this route. Took the risk & it really seems to have payed off.

I was impressed with the way the kid handled the boo's on draft day… He smiled & said he dreamed of playing in New York. Knew the fans were demanding & welcomed the challenge of proving himself here (paraphrasing)…

This kid has actually made me not only tune into Knicks game, but I have even watched a few from start to finish (never an easy task). Even Melo seems energized by this kids arrival.

It will be interesting to see how he holds up over the long hall, but he seems to have some toughness about him (mental & physical) that will hopefully serve him well.

Plus he should fill out a bit in the next few years, given that he's only 20, and he'll be on an NBA eating/workout regimen. Kid's ceiling is high at this point.

Phil didn't even see him play live before drafting him 4th! Just on tape. Can you believe that? I'm sure Phil didn't expect him to fly out of the gate either, but he definitely gets the credit for that move. It took balls.

Reaction Score
Im pleasantly surprised I was afraid he would turn into a Shawn Bradley or Bargnani or even Darko. Watching him he plays like a white Kevin Durant. Nice to have some luck go the Knicks way for once.

Reaction Score
Plus he should fill out a bit in the next few years, given that he's only 20, and he'll be on an NBA eating/workout regimen. Kid's ceiling is high at this point.

Phil didn't even see him play live before drafting him 4th! Just on tape. Can you believe that? I'm sure Phil didn't expect him to fly out of the gate either, but he definitely gets the credit for that move. It took balls.

Right!
I found that so hard to believe! You have the 4th pick of the draft & you pick a guy that you have never seen play in a live game? Maybe there weren't any games to see after the ping pong balls were distributed? Phil also wondered after the draft if Porzingis was too tall to be an effective NBA player?

That assessment didn't give Knick fans the warm & fuzzies...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I absolutely loved the pick and while Phil will get all the credit the reason Porzingis is a Knick is because of their top scout Clarence Gaines Jr., he told Phil the kid was a once in a generation talent.

He's like that guy who practically killed himself to get the Pats to draft Tom Brady. Was convinced he'd become a star. Dick Rehbein. Bittersweet story. He unexpectedly passed away before getting to see Tom win his first title.

Reaction Score
i just love the kids court demeanor, not a surprise since he played in the ACB (second best league in the world) at the age of 18. he isn't afraid of anything. I said the knicks looked good in preseason and still think so, not good enough for playoffs but definitely building toward a break out year in 2016. Galloway is the same feisty scorer that we sent home packing in buffalo 2014, think he is destined to be a premier 6th man scorer a la jamal crawford.

Reaction Score
I absolutely loved the pick and while Phil will get all the credit the reason Porzingis is a Knick is because of their top scout Clarence Gaines Jr., he told Phil the kid was a once in a generation talent.
gaines old blog is a sight to see, no pun. tons of super interesting old scouting reports on nba stars like garnett and others. His dad is legendary as a hall of famer who coached at an HBCU.

http://cgscoutperspective.blogspot.com/

Reaction Score
It was a great pick, in hindsight. As a die hard Knicks fan was curious to see how it turned out...was a little dissapointed on draft day but boy was I wrong! 24/14/7 blocks the other night! Kid is going to be a monster if he progresses like he should and with his work ethic I have no doubt he will.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has it been revealed whether he was on anyone else's radar screen and, if so, where they were hoping/expecting to draft him if the Knicks hadn't?

Reaction Score

Gaines is also responsible for the Galloway signing

Reaction Score
Has it been revealed whether he was on anyone else's radar screen and, if so, where they were hoping/expecting to draft him if the Knicks hadn't?

Yes, Porzingis wasn't an unkown international prospect, Chad Ford of ESPN gets alot of grief and deservedly so but he was lobbying for the Lakers to take him @ #2 . Porzingis also reportedly had a promise from OKC to be taken with their first 2014 first round pick(that was later used on Mitch McGary @ #21) but he pulled out of the draft to play another year in Spain instead.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say I knew he'd be this good this quick but I never understood the S Bradley comp. Just watching his videos you could see he was much more athletic than SB. I like that he has a little nasty streak in him. If he stays healthy he'll be a perennial all star. The Knicks may not make the playoffs this year (but I think they will) but they are fun to watch. To a man they have really bought in and the misfits that make up their second unit have played with great intensity and togetherness so far. I haven't been this interested and excited about the Knicks since the 90's. I hope I get a #6 jersey from Santa

Reaction Score
He was a great find for the Knicks. For once they did not screw it up. Now I just want to see how long before Melo gets jealous of him like he did with Jeremy Lin and start making stinking comments. This time I don't think Melo will get away with him like he did with Lin.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He was a great find for the Knicks. For once they did not screw it up. Now I just want to see how long before Melo gets jealous of him like he did with Jeremy Lin and start making stinking comments. This time I don't think Melo will get away with him like he did with Lin.

Melo's on the downside, so he definitely won't. Everyone has seen, including himself, that they can't win with just him. Interestingly, the next couple years could define Melo's legacy.

Reaction Score
In defense of Melo (at the time I thought he was being 100% p-rick), turns out Lin isn't that good. Just like the scouts other are praising in this thread (thanks for that link on the Brady guy, great read), Melo deserves some credit for identifying Lin as a bit of a fluke.

Reaction Score
Knicks fan, hated - HATED the pick on draft night. Apparently we were ready to trade the pick for #9 and a 2016 first in a three-team deal but the Celtics backed out. Thank the lord for that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Knicks fan, hated - HATED the pick on draft night. Apparently we were ready to trade the pick for #9 and a 2016 first in a three-team deal but the Celtics backed out. Thank the lord for that.

You mean the Celts could of had Godzingis?? Trader Danny...wtf.

Reaction Score
gaines old blog is a sight to see, no pun. tons of super interesting old scouting reports on nba stars like garnett and others. His dad is legendary as a hall of famer who coached at an HBCU.

http://cgscoutperspective.blogspot.com/

Big House Gaines from WSSU is a legend. The games when WSSU played NCAT were classics most of the time. That was a serious rivalry in the CIAA even before the MEAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom