OT: Georgetown's D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera to NBA | The Boneyard

OT: Georgetown's D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera to NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
has Georgetown put a guard in the NBA since JTIII has been there?

Reaction Score
Questionable decision. He likely won't be drafted in the first round, and there's a good chance he may go undrafted altogether. I know kids are in a rush to get to the league, but some need to face the harsh realities that they're either not ready or not good enough. I don't even think Smith-Rivera is in DraftExpress' Top 100. Just goes to show that many college kids will just do what they want, regardless of the information and advice they receive.

From a UConn perspective, we play Georgetown next year. So this may make for an easier game against them, but may hurt our RPI if it causes Georgetown to struggle on the season.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
How is this kid even going to be drafted? He's small for a SG, short-armed, and lacks athleticism or the ability to play point. RIP

Reaction Score
I thought he was good? Why is this a surprise? Not trying to be a jerk, I really don't know...

He's a good college player but he's not really a PG, too small to be a SG, and has average athleticism, he's not going to be drafted. He'll make decent money somewhere tho so if he wants to get a jumpstart on that then its not really a bad decision. Another year at Georgetown isn't changing that but he would graduate or get closer to his degree.

Reaction Score
I don't think it has anything to do with him being good enough or not. He is what he is as a prospect.. he's barely a prospect now and he'd barely be a prospect a year from now. Nothing was going to dramatically change that in the eyes of the NBA scouts. Let him go make his money a year early.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
That program is in shambles. I think he knew he wasnt a first round guy, yet probably saw rolling the dice on the draft as a better use of his time than staying with JTIII and GU.

Reaction Score
He's a good college player but he's not really a PG, too small to be a SG, and has average athleticism, he's not going to be drafted. He'll make decent money somewhere tho so if he wants to get a jumpstart on that then its not really a bad decision. Another year at Georgetown isn't changing that but he would graduate or get closer to his degree.
A degree from Georgetown at that.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
All athletes have a finite number of years to perform at the highest level. A kid who has spent potentially 1 year in prep and 3 years in d1 athletics is losing eligibility as the clock ticks. Each has to make the following decision as Deandre had to.

1) Am I good enough to play professionally and make a decent living anywhere in the world where I wouldn't mind being?

If No, stay in school. If Yes:

2) Will playing in said professional league help me continue to develop and one day achieve my dream of playing in the NBA to a lesser degree than staying in school and playing at a high major program?

If No, go pro. If yes:

Is the value of my increased likelihood of playing my way into an NBA contract out of college greater than the value of being paid for my play in a international pro league immediately (subjective)?

If yes, stay in school. If No, go pro.

Reaction Score
This just reminds us how lucky we've been with some of our early entrant hopefuls, who have almost always made intelligent decisions and returned to an excellent team.

DD is the only one who made me think "he should have stayed, for himself and for the good of the team". Other programs feel that way a lot more often than we do.

Reaction Score
Kids like Smith-Rivera turning pro early is what is really hurting the sport right now. People will blame the one and done, but the evolution of secondary professional leagues has done the most harm, IMO. Even just ten years ago, college basketball used to be comprised of kids who weren't good enough to go o the NBA. Now, if a kid gets a sniff from Europe, he's often gone before his eligibility expires.

That said, I certainly won't begrudge him for making that decision.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree Mr. Champion99andofcourse04...the decision that really has me on the edge of my chair is the Justin Anderson decision @ Virginia. Actually both Anderson and Portis. My guess is those 2 are seriously considering a return. I think at least 1 comes back.

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree Mr. Champion99andofcourse04...the decision that really has me on the edge of my chair is the Justin Anderson decision @ Virginia. Actually both Anderson and Portis. My guess is those 2 are seriously considering a return. I think at least 1 comes back.

Some other names: Kris Dunn, Caris LeVert, Melo Trimble, and Buddy Hield.

Reaction Score
Some other names: Kris Dunn, Caris LeVert, Melo Trimble, and Buddy Hield.
Interesting...all of those guys. Of course Melo holds the keys to a deep run for MD. Without him forget it. It seems like Dunn ready of not could jump and leave Providence. LeVert coming off injury I think returns to what will be a very good Michigan team with him. Hield is a real wildcard. Pretty much needs someone to love him to go in 1st rd. Sooners lose Thomas but add JC super talent big Akolda Manyang. So they return everyone and Manyang should ease the pain of the Thomas loss especially on the D end. So Sooners are potentially primed.

My gut tells me Heild returns but...lol

EDIT: Checked the Sooners board and they think he is leaning towards leaving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kids like Smith-Rivera turning pro early is what is really hurting the sport right now. People will blame the one and done, but the evolution of secondary professional leagues has done the most harm, IMO. Even just ten years ago, college basketball used to be comprised of kids who weren't good enough to go o the NBA. Now, if a kid gets a sniff from Europe, he's often gone before his eligibility expires.

That said, I certainly won't begrudge him for making that decision.
I thought at the time Rudy Gay should have stayed another year.
He was extremely immature as a Soph.
I also thought DD should have stayed, only if Ryan returned.
If we're talking best self-Interest Ryan should have left last year unless his doctor predicted a growth spurt.
If he has an extraordinary combine he may go second round.
But his athletism was just as good last year and he is a year older

Reaction Score
Its not just about the NBA for some.............make that money playing a game while you can!!!!
Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress
A lot of media folks like to act like all a player needs to do to get drafted is stay four years. It really doesn't work that way in reality
Here's a scouting report we wrote on D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera last year. He'll definitely have a market in Europe.
D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera turns 23 later this year. 6-3 SG with average athleticism. Don't think he would have grown or became more athletic.

Reaction Score
I thought at the time Rudy Gay should have stayed another year.
He was extremely immature as a Soph.
I also thought DD should have stayed, only if Ryan returned.
If we're talking best self-Interest Ryan should have left last year unless his doctor predicted a growth spurt.
If he has an extraordinary combine he may go second round.
But his athletism was just as good last year and he is a year older

Except he had a pretty mediocre year last year and a fantastic one this year. I'd have to imagine there are at least some teams thinking about taking a chance on him. There would have been nothing last year.

Reaction Score
Many more players are open to going to Europe to play if they can't make the NBA. Decent money, and an adventure, spending time in some of the world's great cities. You don't hear about too many of the guys who spend several years in Europe being broke at 35. They can avoid greedy family members by staying over there, and since the money is good, but not insane, they learn how to budget what they earn. So many guys are now over there, that most good players now know someone who is playing Euro ball, and can get good info on how things work.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Did he really have a mediocre year tho? Kid was nice and carried Gtown and was counted on to take the big shots and he hit... I dont know what his NBA future is but the kid was flat out nice this year...

Reaction Score
Looks like DSR has decided to reverse his decision.

We play Georgetown next year, right? With Smith-Rivera back, they should be a top ten caliber team. Maryland, Georgetown, Texas...that's a great OOC slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom