OT: General knowledge test #583A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #583A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We have a 6 day hiatus, so let's do this.

Remember no research, no politics, no hitting "reply".

1..Discuss the Alfred Dreyfus Affair.

2..The closest we got in 1968 to a "royal wedding"?

3..What is the "bird's nest" approach to marital separation with kids?

4..Dylan's composition concerning a First Lady's apparel?

5.."Aunt" in Espanol, Italiano, Deutsch, Francois?

6..What statement of fact in "I Am I Said" is far from true now.

7..The distinction of the Tupolev-144?

8..Langley is to US as ________ C_____ is to England.

9..What drug company makes lithobid?

10..With one in 3 folks obese, what nation leads in this?

11..James Barrie's 1904 success (including subheading)?

12..In 1949 what nation lets go of Indonesia?

13.."You see it your way; I see it mine, but we both see it slipping away."

Reaction Score
1. Pretty sure it is a spy scandal.
2. David Eisenhower and Julie Nixon
7. First jet bomber
10. United States
12. France
13. You Get the Best of My Love - ???

Reaction Score
1. Based on the HBO movie from maybe 20 years ago, I think I recall that a Jewish officer was accused of spying. I think I remember that he was likely a fall guy for someone else and lots of anti-jewish overtones/prejudice etc.

2. Assume by we you mean the U.S. That leaves me with either a President or maybe Elvis. think the Nixon wedding was in his second term, so I'll go with Elvis to Priscilla.

3. Kids stay in the house. Parents rotate in and out.

5. Tia in spanish and maybe italian.

8. The Circus. I'm can't remember the specific one. Need to go back and re-read my Smiley.

10. USA?

11. Peter Pan: the boy who never grew up

12. Netherlands?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
5 German is something like "tante" and I agree with the "Tia" for Spanish, it is a popular crossword puzzle answer.
6. Rents are NOT low in LA - I'm also not sure the feeling is still laid back. Oh, and he doesn't live there any more, either.

Reaction Score
5. tia , zia ?....., tante. Took French , Spanish and learning Italian for our trip
7. It was the Russian version of the Concorde ( they stole the design plans
9. Manic depressants need their lithium... Nova pharma?
10. Has to be US
12. French Indonesia .... France
13. eagles baby, one of my favorite groups

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..All I can remember is that it was the origin of Zola's famous J'Accuse

2..Elvis and Priscilla

3..Never heard of it, but I assume the kids stay in one house and the parents alternate weeks there.

4..I hope it's Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat

6. Again, I hope, "Nobody heard me, not even the chair", possibly referring to smart chairs?

7..The other SST besides the Concorde

10..I would assume someplace like Tonga or Samoa.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
3. Like birds, when the “mother bird” is in the nest, family house, then the “father bird” stays away. And vice versa. This can only be done if there is plenty of discretionary income, since the parents each need somewhere to live when not in the “nest.” So three living quarters are typically needed. Apparently someone declared it is best for the kids to remain in the “nest home” and not be shuttled between the parent’s houses. One of which may in fact be the “nest home.” Of course there is the option of the parent’s sharing an apartment which is a bit daft since the parents are getting divorce for some reason. All in all I’ll bet some daft psychologist dreamed up this arrangement.
5. Tia, Zia, Tante, Tante
7. Russian Super Sonic Transport
8. Vauxhall Cross
10. USA

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
3..That the parents are alternately one week in; one out is only half the story. Part 2 is the more inventive.
If SVC should think more on his claim of "daft", he may reach enlightenment.

10..Hey troops! It din gotta be the US. Anyway, if you saw a citizen, be clear he will "Walk
____ __ ________".

Reaction Score
For those who might be interested, there is a wonderful current read out there, a "fictionalized" historical novel about the Dreyfus affair by Robert Harris called An Officer and a Spy. It is told through the imagined perspective of the reluctant French spymaster, Georges Picquart, who, despite his own innate prejudices, discovers that Dreyfus was framed, mainly owing to his Jewish identity and existence in a very anti-semitic institution, the French Army. It's just a terrific, if unsettling read, and I highly recommend it to all.

Reaction Score
1. French Jewish officer Alfred Dreyfus is accused and convicted in the 1890’s of passing military secrets to the Germans. Cached out publicly and sent to Devils Island. Later evidence uncovered suggesting his innocence. Retried and found guilty again I think but French Press with Zola get public pressure to pardon him.

3. Kids stay in house- parents rotate residency - Easier to stay married. Beyond Daft.

8. Something Cross

10. Gonna go with Samoa, but it’s one of those Islands I think

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
10..Hey troops! It din gotta be the US. Anyway, if you saw a citizen, be clear he will "Walk
____ __ ________".

I don't believe anyone really knows. How is this determined? Are there other sources that corroborate your source? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I looked up Tonga today, and the obesity rate is over 90 %, so I’m with SVC.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Our new player 'nuff
Is no duff
So read his stuff.

2..Royal? Miss Vicky marries Elvis? Well, maybe I've got that wrong. Anyway, go with VAUC.

3..Keep in mind that the hubby and wife can have one shared place. The truly enlightened birds nesters
rent just one other place, realizing they'd never see each other there.

4..Big's hope springs eternal, thanks to his attentiveness to a First Lady's garments.

5..SVC, for his interpretation of the Tower of Babel.

6..Knights make a confident statement about cost of living. Smart chairs, Big???

7..Tops, Big & SVC explain what they learned in Flight School..

8..SVC has sometimes come across as cross; that's why he knows this.

9..Tops knows his drugs. I see him on street corners sometimes, whispering, "Pssst".

10..Egypt Has Highest Percentage of Obese Adults in the World, According to New Study | Egyptian Streets - Part 2

11..Game, who dipped girls' pigttails into the inkwell all the way into college,
knows the source of his own antics.

12..Game & ed4 will each pay for his own meal in celebration of their accuracy.

13..VAUC has the song; Tops, the singers. What more do you need?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
1) 'nuff is, of course, right, but there was much more to it than that. Not only was Dreyfus found innocent, but what Zola was accusing about was a deliberate (and temporarily successful) attempt on the part of high army officials to frame Drefus and cover up the identity of the real culprit. Dreyfus being Jewish had a great deal to do with it.

Reaction Score
Of course - there was a lot more to do with it. Lots of side paths to follow. —-And the aftermath.

Plenty of Catholics purged or shunned in the general staff , in the years running up to the “Guns of August”. —— and plenty of anti semites around for the Vichy

But at least they weren’t Obese ! Yet

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom