OT: General knowledge test #565A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #565A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please don't hit "reply", no research nor politics.

1..Unconditional surrender of Japan, with one big exception(?).

2..After Berlin the next Olympics was when and where?

3..The years of the 2 huge northeast blackouts since 1960?

4..Huissein bin Talal ruled where for 47 years?

5..Explain the unfortunate meeting between Mary Decker and Zola Budd.

6..The state which makes the most pretzels?

7..The 1960 echo 1 was the 1st..?.

8..Strangely, only 1 college has "leopard" as its nickname/mascot. Which?

9..Idaho's highest peak?

10..Closest relative of the pronghorn?

11..1483-1520, __________ Sanzio.

12..Three things Neil and Barbra no longer, or hardly ever, do?

13..The Arizona Senators?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
2..London in 1948

4..Jordan

5..Olympic 3000m race that featured both athletes. Decker from the US, Budd from UK (really South Africa, but SA was banned from participating due to apartheid). These two were the big favorites, but during the race, there was a collision between them, Decker fell and could not continue. Budd faded at the the end and finished out of the medals.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
12. Bring flowers, sing love songs, hardly talk anymore
10. This is a great question, that I do not know the answer to - I do know that the american pronghorn is a bit "out there" on the evolutionary tree, surviving in the Americas long after the historical predators - American cheetah, lions, dire wolves, etc. - have long since gone extinct. It's not closely related to modern antelopes in Africa or Asia.. probably related to mountain goats or something.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
10. This is a great question, that I do not know the answer to - I do know that the american pronghorn is a bit "out there" on the evolutionary tree, surviving in the Americas long after the historical predators - American cheetah, lions, dire wolves, etc. - have long since gone extinct. It's not closely related to modern antelopes in Africa or Asia.. probably related to mountain goats or something.

Thanks for the compliment about my great question. No other poster sends me flowers or sings me love songs.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1. Emperor Hirohito was allowed to remain as a symbolic head of state.

2. After Berlin the next SUMMER Olympics was held in 1948 in London. The 1940 Olympics were to be held in Tokyo.

4. Jordan

5. In the Olympics Mary Decker tripped and fell after bumping with bare footed Zola Budd.

6. Pennsylvania – visit Lititz, Pennsylvania for the history of the pretzel.

7. The 1960 echo 1 was the USA‘s 1st satellite? 1st reflective satellite? If so, Q25 helped with this answer.

13. John McCain and Jeffry Flake

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
10. This is a great question, that I do not know the answer to - I do know that the American pronghorn is a bit "out there" on the evolutionary tree, surviving in the Americas long after the historical predators - American cheetah, lions, dire wolves, etc. - have long since gone extinct. It's not closely related to modern antelopes in Africa or Asia.. probably related to mountain goats or something.

Oh my! I think you actually have provided clues to the correct answer! Which I did not know until I read your post. So what animal has the prong horns most prominent feature? I'll bet you dollars to donuts they are related. Give it some thought. You'll get it!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. London 1948
3. 1965 was the one that changed the whole region. Another one, not so bad in 2003. (had to stay at work all night for that one)
6. gotta be Pennsylvania.
8. Actually 2. Lafayette and Wentworth Institute of Technology.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Oh my! I think you actually have provided clues to the correct answer! Which I did not know until I read your post. So what animal has the prong horns most prominent feature? I'll bet you dollars to donuts they are related. Give it some thought. You'll get it!

only thing I can think of is a gee-raff!

Reaction Score
1. No war crimes trial for Hirohito
2. 1952, Stockholm
3. 1965, 1977
5. 1984 Olympics in LA, barefoot Budd's feet clipped Decker's, Decker went down unable to complete a race she had a very good chance of winning.
6. New York
10. the Bighorn
12.Bring Me Flowers, ??, ??
13. McCain and Flake

Reaction Score
1. 1945. Hirohito to remain as Emperor.
3. Summer of Sam, which was 1977. The other was I think while I was in school, maybe post 9-11. Between 01-03?
4. Jordan?
5. The 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. I watched this live as a very young kid. Decker was favored or something in one of the distance races, but got tangled up with Budd and hit the Deck. She didn't get up and had to be carried off and was super dramatic and whiny about the whole thing (editorial comment based on replays that continue to be shown). I didn't quite understand why it such a big deal at the time and don't know now. I guess because Decker was such a poor sport about the whole thing.
6. Wisconsin seems about right.
12. You don't send me flowers, you don't sing me love songs, you don't....err....ask me about my day?
13. McCain/Flake

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
3..1969 and 2000?

5..The Olympics in IIRC 1984. Zola Budd was not going to be allowed to compete since she was from South Africa, but the UK granted her citizenship a few months before the games. She ran barefoot. Budd moved from the second lane to the inner lane right into Decker's front stride, knocking Mary to the track. She hit pretty hard and wasn't able to continue. Budd finished way out of medal position. Mary was married to a shot-putter (Ron Tabb) at the time, and he picked her up (all 110 pounds-ish of her looked like a little kid in Ron's arms) and carried her away.

6.. Pennsylvania

7..US communications satellite?

10..Giraffe/Okapi

13..Mccain and Flake

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1. Emperor Hirohito was allowed to remain as a symbolic head of state.

2. After Berlin the next SUMMER Olympics was held in 1948 in London. The 1940 Olympics were to be held in Tokyo.

4. Jordan

5. In the Olympics Mary Decker tripped and fell after bumping with bare footed Zola Budd.

6. Pennsylvania – visit Lititz, Pennsylvania for the history of the pretzel.

7. The 1960 echo 1 was the USA‘s 1st satellite? 1st reflective satellite? If so, Q25 helped with this answer.

13. John McCain and Jeffry Flake

2..There you go again being Mr. Pickypickypicky. Do you read any posters beset by ambiguity? The nature of the question provided cues. And in popular usage the summer games are simply the Olympics, whereas the Winter and Special ones require modifiers.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
2. London 1948
3. 1965 was the one that changed the whole region. Another one, not so bad in 2003. (had to stay at work all night for that one)
6. gotta be Pennsylvania.
8. Actually 2. Lafayette and Wentworth Institute of Technology.

Tis true; I overlooked Div 3 Wentworth.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
11..Disputation of the Holy Sacrament. School of Athens

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Tojo go; Emperor stays. Four of you with VAUC specifying no war crimes trial for the living god.

2..Ine, Meyers, Rocket& SVC cite London amid the rubble.

3..1965 and 2003--Meyers didn't much curse the darkness.

4..Rocket, SVC & Game pick Jordan.

5..Five of you, some, like Big, with fine detail.

6..The Meyers Quartet with what's gotta be.

7..First balloon satellite, which I guess is covered by SVC' "reflective".

9..We have an extreme Boneyard shortage of Idaho climbers. It's Borah Peak, over 12k.

10..Isn't it enchanting to witness Pinot's stream of consciousness? Big mum about his thinking.

11..Raphaello

12..Game witnessing conjugal dissipation.

13..Cajun ha 4 others harmonizing behind him.

You scored 12/13.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
7..First balloon satellite, which I guess is covered by SVC' "reflective".

Question 25 seemed like a repeat of question 13 - like an echo. Which made me "reflect" on Echo I. Why the name unless its purpose was to simply reflect signals back to Earth, not unlike meteor burst communication which the USGS uses to send data to a data collection station inexpensively using simplex transmission. Meteors of varying sizes are always entering our atmosphere creating an ionized vapor trail which is excellent for bouncing radio signals back to earth for reception. Meteor burst communications is cheap but not real reliable mind you. Ergo they use simplex transmission with a repetitive transmission of the same data.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom