OT: General knowledge test #555A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #555A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
No politics, no research & no pressing "reply" please.

1..Which 6'7'' fellow broke the rookie HR record?

2..Discuss Leopold & Loeb.

3..Clara Barton begins..?.

4..His last name, Buonarroti, we never hear of.

5..The polar bear's favorite seal?

6..In 2008 Bank of America takes over the failing..? for 4.1B.

7..What duchess is Meghan?

8..The 9.5 1960 earthquake in..? is the strongest ever recorded.

9..Eugene Cernan and Eugene Stafford in a dress rehearsal. Explain.

10..The 1st female head of the NYSE?

11..Link Thomas Cramer, Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon.

12 Who in 1775 succeeds Peyton Randolph as head of Continental Congress?

13.."He said he hoped he hadn't stepped upon my feet."

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
1..The Judge (Aaron)
3..The Red Cross
5..The Wendell seal?
6..Goldman Sachs?

Reaction Score
2. A couple of Univ. of Chicago students who kidnapped and killed Bobby Franks just for
the hell of it, thinking that they had committed the perfect crime. However, Loeb left his
eyeglasses at the scene and the pair were quickly apprehended. Defended by Clarence Darrow,
they escaped the death penalty but received life sentences. Loeb was killed in prison, and
Leopold was released after thirty odd years or so, having become a worldwide authority
on butterflies or something of the sort.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. Aaron Judge broke Mark McGuire’s MLB rookie home run record with 50 homers. Barry Bonds record of 73 for a single season is sure to fall. However, it is a hollow accomplishment since the MLB has “juiced” the ball for this season. With “roids” and juiced balls and bats MLB records are meaningless.

2.. A couple of well off dirt bags who kidnapped and murdered some poor kid. They got life sentences. Actual one got a death sentence at the hands of another inmate. The other eventually got parole.

3.. American Red Cross

6.. Countrywide Financial

8.. Anchorage, Alaska

Last edited:
Reaction Score
7..Duchess of Suffolk

11..I think you mean "Cranmer", Achbishop of Canterbury who facilitated the annulment of the marriage of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon.

Reaction Score
1. Aaron Judge

4. Michelangelo. Scupltor, painter, Italian.

6. hmm, Countrywide or Merrill Lynch. Merrill Lynch was the one that was bought somewhat contemporaneously with TARP etc. in the fall of that year. Countrywide was earlier, I'd guess 2006 or 2007, but maybe 2008?. Countrywide was a really, really bad idea.

11. Thomas Cranmer was a catholic priest and scholar. He kept a mistress and child in contravention of church law and was in favor of reforming the practices of the Roman church. Came to the attention of Henry VIII due to his support and strategies for obtaining an annulment from Catherine of Aragon. The king wished to set her aside because she had not born a living male heir. His claim for annulment rested on the argument that Rome's annulment of her previous marriage to his brother (on the ground that it had not been consummated) was improper and that God was not blessing him with a male child for that purpose. I think Cranmer was sent to Germany and then perhaps to Rome to argue his case. Despite his being somewhat obscure, he was appointed Archbishop of Canterbury at Henry's insistence and eventually would be the first highest ranking official of the Anglican Church. he wrote the common book of prayer, of which large parts remain in use.

12. Gonna go with John Hancock here.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..Aaron Judge

2..Leopold and Loeb were a couple of young men who killed a youth apparently because they felt they had the privilege to do so. Clarence Darrow was their defense attorney.

3. The American Red Cross

4..Michelangelo

8..Chile

9..They were both astronauts. IIRC, there was a Gemini flight for which they were the backup crew, and both of the primary crew members were killed in an accident shortly before launch.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
5..Ringed Seal?

6..Countrywide Financial

7..Is now the Duchess of Sussex

8..Chile

10..Stacey Cunningham

Reaction Score
1. Aaron Judge(appropriately named)
2. Leopold & Loeb(one was dominant, the other an easily led sycophant) killed a young neighbor of theirs, a young boy, purely for kicks. It was infamous for its brutality but more for the fact that Leopold & Loeb were spoiled rich kids. If memory serves, they were represented by a very prominent lawyer of the time.
3. the Red Cross
4. Bruno Sammartino
5. a dead one
8. Chile
9. Practicing how to create a carbon dioxide filter on earth so that the information can be passed along to endangered Apollo 13 astronouts in space who were on the verge of carbon dioxide poisoning.
11. Henry the VIII was married to Catherine of Aragon. Thomas Cramer figured out a way for Henry to legally divorce Catherine so that he could marry Anne Boleyn; forming the Church of England thus separating England from the influence of the Catholic Church.
12. Benjamin Franklin

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2. Leopold & Loeb(one was dominant, the other an easily led sycophant) killed a young neighbor of theirs, a young boy, purely for kicks. It was infamous for its brutality but more for the fact that Leopold & Loeb were spoiled rich kids. If memory serves, they were represented by a very prominent lawyer of the time.

Was it Clarence Darrow?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1. Aaron Judge
2. I could only come up with "murderers" and the Clarence Darrow connection. I agree with the other folks with more detail.
3. American Red Cross. Modeled after Florence Nightengale.
4. Michalangelo (sp).
5. I think I read the Harp Seal somewhere.
11. I was going to add that Thomas Cranmer came to a bad end - I was going to say he lost his head, but decided to look up "death" and, apparently, he was burned (Henry was a bit fickle).
12. John Hancock.
13. It rings a bell - how about a hint?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1. Aaron Judge
2. I could only come up with "murderers" and the Clarence Darrow connection. I agree with the other folks with more detail.
3. American Red Cross. Modeled after Florence Nightengale.
4. Michalangelo (sp).
5. I think I read the Harp Seal somewhere.
11. I was going to add that Thomas Cranmer came to a bad end - I was going to say he lost his head, but decided to look up "death" and, apparently, he was burned (Henry was a bit fickle).
12. John Hancock.
13. It rings a bell - how about a hint?

13..You hear a clanging in your head, Knights?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
13...Probably the 2nd most familiar tune to Judy Garland fans.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Zanz leads a 7 member jury deferring to the Judge.

2..See especially ed4 & VAUC for good detail.

3..Awards go to those who specified AMERICAN.

4..Game, Big and Knights all claim they could have done a better job on the Sistine Chapel.

5..Pinot & Knights play the harp; JR strums his Wendell, but Rocket runs rings around them all.

6..SVC, Rocket & Game all went homeless for their Countrywide investments.

7..Zanz & Rocket with New Jersey's northernmost county. Hmmm, that would be awkward to administer from England.

8..Big, Rocket & VAUC are still shaking.

9..Supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the moon landing.

10..Stacey told Rocket that she is too important now to continue their dating.

11..Game & VAUC provide relevant particulars.

12..Gonna go with Game here...and Knights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom