OT: General knowledge test #546A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #546A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
No politics please, nor research, nor pressing "reply".

1.."My candle burns at both ends.
It will not last the night."

2..The Prez who authorizes West Point?

3..The World Figure Skating Championship in 1991 was won by 3 Americans, Tonya _______
and who else?

4..What was Lewis & Clark's starting point, and what route did they take initially?

5..Liken William Henry Harrison to Lt. William Calley.

6..Samuel Clemens most famous pen name was chosen from..?.

7..What is the obvious way Jane Austen's characters extend the incest taboo?

8..South Pacific: the romantic actors and his singing voice?

9..The 1947 best picture was Gentlemen's Agreement. The gist?

10..The attorney general who ordered the Alcatraz closure?

11..It's in Clarksville and named for the governor who made teaching evolution a crime.

12..Which Prez vetoed the Civil Rights Restoration Act? Outcome?

13..Link Prez John Adams to "Prez" Josiah Bartlett.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
3..Harding, ?, ?
4..St. Louis, ?
6..The call from the person plumbing the depth of the river on a paddlewheel steamboat. 2 fathoms was sufficient and the call was "Mark Twain".

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
1. From a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay.
9. Gregory Peck is a journalist who pretends to be Jewish in order to expose antisemitism.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2.. President Thomas Jefferson

3..Kristi Yamaguchi (G), Tonya Harding (S), and Nancy Kerrigan (B)

4..Lewis began from Washington DC planning to get supplies in Pittsburgh, PA. After leaving Pittsburgh he met with Clark in Kentucky. Using the Mississippi they once again provisioned themselves in Saint Louis. They then wintered in Hartford, IL. Using the Missouri River, Clark and their entourage rendezvoused with Lewis in Saint Charles, MO. Lewis handled some government business, Louisiana Purchase, which took him away from the main group. Of course the Louisiana Purchase is why President Thomas Jefferson commissioned them to do this surveying trek as well as find a practical route to the Pacific Ocean cross country. The Historical Society of Saint Charles argues Lewis and Clark then embarked from Saint Charles on their legendary effort and not from Saint Louis. Technically they are correct. They utilized the Missouri River to its origin and then traversed the Continental Divide. They then used the Snake and Columbia Rivers to Portland, OR. The sighting of the Pacific Ocean soon followed.

6..Samuel Clemens most famous pen name was chosen from measuring the depths of the Mississippi River. A rope was used to measure the depth. Every 6’ was a knot, a Mark. Each knot represented a fathom, 6’. As the rope disappeared into the depths the knot number was called out. Mark Twain means Mark (knot) two or 12’.

11.. Austin Peay State University

12..President Ronald Reagan

Reaction Score
2. Jefferson
3. Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Kristi Yamaguchi?
4. St Louis
6. "Mark Twain" is based on a measurement used on river boats, I think. Depth?
13. Both married to Stockard Channing, I mean Abigail?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
2..Madison?

3..Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan

4..St Louis, the Colorado Trail??

6..His riverboat work -- To find depth, they had a weighted rope with knots tied every fathom and called out the depth in terms of marks. Two fathoms deep was "Mark Twain."

7..Marrying first cousins wasn't unusual then -- Fanny and Edmond in Mansfield Park were first cousins. Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice, who was to inherit the estate, courted both Lizzie and Jane, although he didn't marry either.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
2..Madison?

3..Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan

4..St Louis, the Colorado Trail??

6..His riverboat work -- To find depth, they had a weighted rope with knots tied every fathom and called out the depth in terms of marks. Two fathoms deep was "Mark Twain."

7..Marrying first cousins wasn't unusual then -- Fanny and Edmond in Mansfield Park were first cousins. Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice, who was to inherit the estate, courted both Lizzie and Jane, although he didn't marry either.

Big, while your info is correct, it really would answer the OPPOSITE question, How is the incest taboo CONTRACTED?

Reaction Score
2. Thomas Jefferson
2. James Madison(my guesses based on belief that West Point opened in 1809)
3. Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, & Debi Thomas
4. They started in St Charles, MO and followed the Missouri River.
5. Lt Calley was charged with a horrific slaughter of Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. In the course of Harrison's military career, he was known as an Indian fighter who had no problem killing/slaughtering Native Americans.
6. It was a nautical term.
7. Thy have cousins marrying or at least considering marriage. In Pride & Prejudice Mr. Collins the entailed cousin seeks to marry his cousin Elizabeth. Mr Darcy's Aunt, Lady Catherine DeBerg wanted very much to have her daughter marry Mr Darcy and made a point of trying to steer Elizabeth out of the picture. It didn't work.
8. Rozzano Brazzi and Mitzi Gaynor. You are suggesting that Mr Brazzi had his vocals dubbed, so it had to be someone like Caruso or maybe even someone like Howard Keel.
10. Robert Kennedy
13. John Adams was a founding father as was a direct ancestor of Josiah Bartlett.

Reaction Score
7. If I understand how the QuizMaester wants this question answered, it must be that marriage into a family makes one a sibling of that family as opposed to being an in-law.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
#1. Edna St. Vincent Millay. Saturday night I watched the movie "The Hero", starring Sam Elliott and his girlfriend read the quote from a book of Millay's collected works—otherwise I would have been clueless.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
7. If I understand how the QuizMaester wants this question answered, it must be that marriage into a family makes one a sibling of that family as opposed to being an in-law.

Wow! I'm sure you're correct about the intent of the question. I would never have gleaned that that's what Chief was getting at.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Yes, it's Edna scribbling away, chewing on her very First Fig. Rbny & Hope.
Welcome, and I Hope you spring eternal on future tests.

2..SVC, Game & VAUC correctly go with Thomas.

3..The same trio pinpoint all 3 ice maidens.

4..Judy Garland plans it, saying Meet Me in St. Louis, across the wiiiiiide Missouri. A tip of the hat to VAUC & SVC, the latter sounding like he was en route.

5..For instance, VAUC, Shawnee leader Tecumseh founded Prophetstown, and when the men were largely absent, ol' bloodthirsty
Harrison charged in and murdered the whole village. Behavior that got Calley jailed, got Tippecanoe a presidency.

6..The JR Quartet announces clear sailing.

7..VAUC found my wavelength, so e.g, when he marries into the family, Lizzie no longer address him as "Mr. Wickham",
but as "brother", thereby setting in the mind that sexual relations would be unthinkable. So, an extension of the taboo.
I must work harder to find Big's wavelength.

8..Yes, VAUC, to the actors. Here is what completes the answer.

9..Thanks to rbny.

10..VAUC again with Robert Kennedy.

11..SVC takes the last train to Clarksville, Creationist as he is.

12..Yes, it's Bedtime for Bonzo indeed, but Congress overrode him. SVC with the citing.

13..While I must accept VAUC's answer, I had the Abigails in mind, as did Game.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
4..Judy Garland plans it, saying Meet Me in St. Louis, across the wiiiiiide Missouri. A tip of the hat to VAUC & SVC, the latter sounding like he was en route.

Mrs. SVC and I lived in Saint Charles, MO for 27 years and belonged to the Saint Charles Historical Society. Believe me getting people to know Lewis & Clark embarked from Saint Charles was a big deal.

Reaction Score
Wow! I'm sure you're correct about the intent of the question. I would never have gleaned that that's what Chief was getting at.

Question 7 intrigued me because I consider myself a serious Janeite; To the point where I was considering making a 90 minute drive to attend a meeting of like minded Austen fans. So, the question threw me because it was always my belief that the people of that time had no problem with first cousins marrying. After all, Ms Austen's novels were serialized in the newspapers of the day. They were not underground publications. So, the incest angle, in my opinion, was based on current mores. Ms Austen also went as far as she possibly could to subtly call out and make fun of the hypocrisy of the clergy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom