OT: General knowledge test #541A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #541A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please don't hit "reply"; no research, no politics either.

1..Popeye parody: I'm Popeye the sailor man and I live in a garbage can. I do all my swimmin' with...?

2..Why called "quarter" horses?

3..ID G. Harrold Carswell.

4..The opera performed more than any other at the Met?

5..The 1942 Wannsee Conference did what?

6..Yesinia pestis is more commonly called what?

7..The c_________ is in the raccoon family.

8..The 3 ways to distinguish the crocodile from the alligator?

9..The couple who starred in ABSENCE OF MALICE?

10..These trees that circle the northern reaches of our earth, b____ forest or t____.

11..The highest authority at an ATP & WTA contest?

12..I coulda been a contender.

13..The first Secretary of Homeland Security?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. Fast race horse over short distances, i.e. quarter mile.
9. Paul Newman and Sally Field. lawyers.
11. I would assume McEnroe.
12. Marlon Brando On The Waterfront.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
1. bow-legged women
3. Nixon-era.. um..Attorney General?
6. common flea?
7. coati
8. width of "muzzle" - alligator wide, croc narrow: external teeth showing - croc has 'em, 'gator doesn't. Salt-water vs. fresh water - while not an absolute benchmark, generally if it's found in salt water, it's a croc. Both species can tolerate fresh water. I'd add one more, highly-subjective, based on a tour and discussion at the Phoenix Herpetological Society - while alligators will prey on humans, it's largely due to accident and happenstance. Crocs view humans as a prey specie, and will actively hunt humans.
10. Boreal forest, or, taigia

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
2..Dragsters of horse racing specialize in quarter mile races..

5..The final solution – it insured the cooperation of everyone needed to construct, operate, assemble, and kill Jews in death camps

8..(1) Shape of snout (croc – vee shaped, gator – wider and rounded), (2) preferred salinity of the water (croc – salty, gator – fresh), failing 1 & 2 determine where you are (3) gators are only found in America and China

9..Sally Field and Paul Newman were a couple?

11..I suppose you want chair umpire but certain players such as John “Enfant Terrible” McEnroe were the highest authority since they drew the largest crowds and the sponsors would not allow the Enfant Terrible to be tossed from matches. I never understood why an opponent just didn’t punch him out.

12..Marlon Brando line from “On the Waterfront”

13..Tom Ridge former Governor of Pennsylvania

Reaction Score
3. Unsuccessful Nixon nominee to SCOTUS

4. Gotta be the fabulous Franco Zefferelli production of La Boheme. It's a shame that all of his other productions at the Met have been replaced, but this one has been around since the early '70s, I believe

5. Implementation of the Final Solution

6. Plague

7. Often used as a crossword clue because of all the vowels---coati

9. Paul Newman, Sally Field, Wilford Brimley, Bob Balaban, Melinda Dillon, Luther Adler and others

12. Brando to Steiger in the back of a cab in the Top 10 of all time movie, On the Waterfront

13. Former governor (Pennsylvania?), Tom Ridge

Reaction Score
11. If it is chair umpire, as suggested by SVCBeercats, I think Frank Hammond would beg to differ. One of the few infamous sporting events I actually attended, the match between McEnroe and Nastase at the '79 US Open got out of hand when both players started acting like jerks. I believe both were penalized and demanded that the tournament director (probably the answer to your question) remove Frank Hammond from the chair---which he did.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
2. Quarter Horses. Horse that is reputed to be the fastest over a quarter of a mile.
3. One of Nixon's failed nominees for the Supreme Court.
9. Bit confused on this one...actual real-life couple? Or the male and female? Not aware of the former, but Paul Newman and Sally Field starred in the movie, but I loved Melinda Dillon and Wilford Brimley.(Yes, I liked Blue Eye's flicks around that time...)
10. Tundra
11. An official (although I like the McEnroe answer!)
12. Brando
13. Oh gosh...someone from Pennsylvania.

Reaction Score
1. women
2. short bursts of speed over short distances, quarter of a mile.
6. Yellow fever
7. The Chinese panda
8. snout, tail, eyes
11. Chair umpire
12. Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
4. My guess is La Boheme. If not correct, my guess is Carmen.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
11. If it is chair umpire, as suggested by SVCBeercats, I think Frank Hammond would beg to differ. One of the few infamous sporting events I actually attended, the match between McEnroe and Nastase at the '79 US Open got out of hand when both players started acting like jerks. I believe both were penalized and demanded that the tournament director (probably the answer to your question) remove Frank Hammond from the chair---which he did.

Actually I believed the answer to be the players. I thought he wanted some court official but I knew no one overruled the players.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..We sang "whiskey and women" in my reckless youth; I'm sure there are many other versions.

4..La Boheme

6.. causes the plague

7..coati (aka coatamundi)

8..Narrower snout, different hip and shoulder joints, (maybe how far the eyes stick up?)

10..boreal forest, don't know the other

12..On the Waterfront

Reaction Score
2) can only race really fast for a quarter mile
4) the obvious answer is La Boheme or Tosca but I do know that up to about 1960 the Met champ was Tristan und Isolde starring the great Kirsten Flagstad. It was she and Wagner's greatest opera that saved the Met from looming bankruptcy all through the 1930's. It played to packed houses every three or four days for years. Between 1935 and 1941 alone Flagstad sang Isolde on the Met stage 70 times. I'll say Tristan.

KirstenFlagstad 2.jpg

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
3.. It would be more complete to indicate the grounds for rejection.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Nobody counted your underscores, I guess.
7. Coatimundi

Reaction Score
I remember that match, Hammond really had his hands full. Hammond did wield some power though, I was at a match once that he chaired, and during the match he suspended it for twenty minutes because he had to go to the can.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..That Big, tries to get away with a lot by being British. Here he invents a response to weasel full credit.
On this side of the pond all know the only possible retort is "bow-legged women". And its more amusing.
Let's all agree to keep an eye on Big's obfuscations.

2..Because three quarters of the animal is unicorn. See what you know.

3..It did not put him in good standing for the Supremes, cause he was on record as a racist.

4..Tristan got out well from the starting gate but was overtaken on the far turn by La Boheme. Damn, can't put Q2 out of my head.

5..Now "Final Solution will be understood by my fellow geezers, but it is not explanatory, and I abhor short cuts.
As Maurice Chevalier once sang, "Thank heavens for little SVC, for SVC gets bigger every day".

6..Technically, it is a bacterium, but you are correct in describing its gleeful menace to mammals.
7..JR sees what only Big and himself see. Count the blanks, you ninnies.

8..Also the croc is grayish and the gator greenish.
(I use a lot of ish words, when I've been drinking.)

9..What's so confusing about their being a couple. They had a roll in the hay, for cryin' out loud.
Sally's a journalist, not a lawyer. That's OK, cause I know you wrote that with an absence of malice.
And then we get Dillon, who gets in a plug for his grandma Melinda.

10..This time Big comes clean about not knowing donkey squat on the alternate name. No invention here.
Tundras only wish they had trees, Look to Pinot for Taiga.

11..Goodness, you've made this complex. Above the chair umpire is the referee, although he's not an "on court" presence.

12..Something in your grey matter tries to remind you about clear communication, Speaker and movie title and context
(as in contender for what). No wonder your spouses are always on your cases.

13..Chj and SVC nail this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom