OT: General knowledge test #530A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #530A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Making political statements is a no-no. Also please do not press REPLY and do no research.

1..The first film in Cinemascope?

2..Explain how the monarch butterfly migration works.

3..The precursor to the NFL was called what?

4..Milton Berle's 1948 TV show was called what?

5..Within 3 years when was The Hobbit published?

6..By far the most common Mexican surname is?

7..Where specifically was the last Beatles concert?

8.."But I don't know what to do with those tossed salads and.."

9..The European country with the lowest birth rate?

10..In what country is the flu vaccination rate for kids only 10%,
where there is currently an epidemic of at least 166k sufferers?

11..Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs together again, sort of. Explain.

12..The 2 heavyweights in the 1927 "long count" fight?

13..The 1st B'way Tevye?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
1. The Robe
13. I believe it was Zero Mostel.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I suppose technically you are correct. Now forget the Vatican and try again.

48c.jpg

Reaction Score
1. The Wizard of Oz
4. Texaco Showcase Theater
5. 1977
6. Martinez
7. The roof of Apple Studios
9. Finland
10. India
11. There is a movie out/coming out based on the iconic battle of the sexes. The match at the Astrodome was quite memorable, but people tend to forget to Billy Riggs handily beat Rosemarie Casals(might have been someone else) prior to the match with Ms King.
12. Gene Tunney and Jack Dempsey. Tunney had Dempsey knocked out, Dempsey was given the long count, got up, and was able to eventually win the fight.
13. Mandy Potamkin

Reaction Score
1. The Robe

5. Around 1935

7. The rooftop performance wasn't really a concert. A concert implies an audience. The real final concert was at Candlestick Park.

13. The one and only Zero Mostel. The original movie, "The Producers," is still my favorite comedy of all time.

Reaction Score
12. VAUConn has it backwards. It was Tunney who was given the long count and
eventually defeated Dempsey.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
2..Monarchs spend winters in Mexico and Southern California then migrate to the northern and eastern US in summer. Migrations can be as far as 2500 miles. In CA thousands of them hang from branches of Eucalyptus trees - it is quite a sight.

5..It was published shortly before the start of World War 2 so 1938?

6..Martinez?

7..On the roof of the Apple recording studio in London.

9..Sweden?

11..The new movie Battle of the Sexes has just come out with Emma Stone as Billie Jean King and Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs. Replays the famous "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match from the 70's.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
2..They all go down to Mexico in the winter, drink tequila, dance a lot, get tired and hibernate. When they sober up and are well rested, they head back north. They mate along the way and the butterflies that return to their homes in the north and the south each year are actually later generations, since the previous generation died. Somehow they know where to go. I've heard even to the exact same trees. Millennial Monarchs are said to be relying on google maps now because they can't be bothered with instincts.

4..Texaco Star Theater
7..Rooftop across from Abby Road Studios
8.."But I don't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs" closing theme of Frazier
9..Vatican? Is it a country or a city-state?
11..Movie being released about the famous "Battle of the Sexes" starring Steve Carrel (sp?)
13..Zero Mostel

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
2..Explain how the monarch butterfly migration works.

I'm not sure what "how" means in this case. The monarchs overwinter as butterflies in Mexico (I think near Monterrey; their overwinter habitat is vanishing). They begin flying north and it takes six generations or so for them to make it up north and down south again. The whole process is genetic. On the way north, some split off to the west, some central, and some to the east, as far north as Nova Scotia. They lay their eggs on the undersides of milkweed plants. The caterpillars eat the milkweed, which is poisonous to most creatures, which is why monarchs are poisonous to their predators. The caterpillars molt 5-6 times before making the most beautiful crysalids -- they're green, kind of bulbous, with gold beads around the part with the biggest girth.

5. In the UK, I think around 1939. In the US, 1966.

6..Cruz?

7..On a rooftop somewhere in England

11. Emma Stone and Steve Carrell are in a new movie about the tennis match, I think called The Battle of the Sexes.

12..Jack Dempsey and ??

13..Herschel Bernardi?

Reaction Score
5. This is 80th anniversary so 1937.
6. Garcia?
8. Scrambled eggs. They're calling again. Good night, Seattle.
11. moving coming out with Emma Stone and Steve Carrell about the battle of the sexes soon (this weekend?). Emma worked out pretty hard to get some guns.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. The Robe

2.. The Monarch Butterflies east of the Rocky Mtn. migrate to Mexico and hibernate in the oyamel fir trees. The Monarch Butterflies west of the Rocky Mtn. will migrate to pacific coastal areas south of the Monterey Bay.

3.. American Professional Football Association

4.. Texaco Star Theater

6.. Garcia?

8.. "scrambled eggs"

9.. Germany?

12.. Gene Tunney and Jack Dempsey

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..The rbny 4 celebrate morning apparel.

2..It is essential to explain that the original members never make it. The migration requires at least 4 generations.

3..SVC has every word correct.

4..Two STARS win out over1 SHOWCASE.

5..Chj, rocket and big are in the guidelines--1937.

6..VAUC and rocket have it. Being on Cruz control causes an accident. And Cherry Garcia is discontinued.

7..Well, we can dispute that allegation. There was an audience among street folk, people on balconies and other rooftops.

8..Game with the whole send-off.

9..Fairview and Pinot each saw a tree. They would have been better served by choosing the surrounding forest.
Surprising, as a Catholic nation.

10.. Where women glow and men plunder.

11..Five of you say you're heading for the Cineplex.

12..And oodles of you know of the Tunney-Dempsey brawl.

13..This time Zero means something more than nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom