OT: General knowledge test #527A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #527A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please do not hit "reply". Do no research and avoid politics.

1..The Beatles '64 tour begins at...?.

2..You find George Elliot, George Michael and Karl Marx at...?

3..On her third try Diana Nyad made it between what 2 points?

4..British spelling?--jail, program, pajamas, artifact, fetus, analyze, draft.

5..ID: edaphologist.

6..The city of Marist College?

7..ID: Nat Turner

8..STAND BY ME: director? singer? the kid actors?

9..About twenty-five hundred years ago, 3 thinkers(?), far-flung from one another, started the first age of rationality.

10.."Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got." What do you do for relief?

11..In what city is THE LITTLE MERMAID statue?

12..On 8/24/1914 what faraway nation declares war on Germany?

13..The Germany-Russia WWII non-aggression pact was called..?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
1 Shea Stadium?
2. Your local library!:D
3. Key West and Cuba
7. Slave who led a revolt - early 1800's, I think, not sure from which Southern State. But, the Nat Turner Rebellion was used as a boogeyman and justification for all sorts of abusive crackdowns by slave-owners and slavery proponents.
10. Sometimes, you gotta go where everyone knows your name - for relief, you go to your local pub, and have a pint or two.
11. Copenhagen
13. temporary, rather temporary:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
2. Highgate Cemetery, London. By the way, just across the walkway from
Marx's grave is the grave of Herbert Spencer - which I find a curious
juxtaposition.

6. Poughkeepsie.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
2..Madame Toussoud's (sp?)

3..Florida and Cuba

4..Gaol; programme, pyjamas, artefact, foetus, analyse, draught

6..Indianapolis?

7..19th century anti-slavery dude led a revolt. Made more famous in the 60's in the book "Confessions of Nat Turner, I think by William Styron

8..Rob Reiner; Ben E King; Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, one of the Coreys. Great movie

10..Rolaids

11..Copenhagen

Reaction Score
1) Yankee Stadium
2) a cemetery in London
6) Poughkeepsie NY, and gorgeous campus it is.
7) A slave who led a revolt
11) Copenhagen

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
7. Nat Turner's rebellion was, I think, in Virginia. He was a slave. Maybe around 1830's. As someone said above, the fear of a slave uprising always being of concern to slave holders, the rebellion was used as justification for even worse treatment of slaves.
9. Maybe Confucius and Archimedes. If not them, still think Greek and Chinese thinkers would be 2/3. Can't guess the 3rd.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1. Cow Palace in San Francisco

2. Were he alive they would be on Steve Allen’s “Meeting of Minds.” Best TV show ever!

3. Well, she did successfully swim from Florida to Cuba on her fifth attempt.

5. Edaphologist is a person who studies how the physical and chemical properties of soil affect the growth of plants. So says my lovely master gardener.

7. Nat Turner was a slave who led a small group slaves and free blacks initially in a violent attack on whites in Virginia killing 50-100 men, women, and children. His band grew to 50-80 slaves and free blacks. The military ended the violence. Turner and a large number of his band were executed.

8. River Phoenix, Will Wheaton, Cory Feldman, and Jerry O’Connell; Singer – Ben E. King; Director – RobReiner

11. Copenhagen, Denmark

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
3..Hmm, SVC wants to change the question, and although he has plenty of supporters, I'm sticking with "3rd try", in a swim she made much earlier than the Cuba one.

9..Confucious works, and so too does a Greek, but a different one. The 3rd would be between them geographically but tends to make people think religion.

13..You want the names of 2 persons.

12..It was by request of England over wanting Germany out of China.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
9..Confucious works, and so too does a Greek, but a different one. The 3rd would be between them geographically but tends to make people think religion.
Buddha, Pythagoras and Confucius

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
3. OK, with hint, English Channel, England(Dover?) to France (Calais?)

Reaction Score
7. Slave that lead a slave rebellion in antebellum Virginia.
8. Rob Reiner; Ben E. King; Will Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman.
10. Go where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came. Cheers.
11. Copenhagen, Denmark
12. Japan is my guess.
13. Ribbentrop Pact

Reaction Score
1. Shea Stadium in New York(Queens, Flushing Meadows)
3. The Florida Keys and Cuba
6. Poughkeepsie, NY
7. Led a slave rebellion in Virginia, the vents of which are immortalized in The Confessions of Nat Turner.
8. Director: Rob Reiner, Singer Ben E. King, Kid Actors ??? Never saw the movie
9. Aristotle, Herodotus, Plato
10. Pull up a barstool at Cheers
11. Copenhagen
13. Sino-Russo Non Aggression Pact

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
9..We have no writings from the Greek.

3..Return to this hemisphere, 1979.

13..Game is halfway there.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="wire chief, post: 2310850, member: 1411"13..Game is halfway there.[/QUOTE]

While sipping a cocktail, the other half occurred to me.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..Give SVC a question related to bovines, and he nails it.

2..Ed4 is specific here. SVC's nostalgia would find sympathy only among eggheads. America did not approve.

3..North Bimini to Juno Beach, Fl.

4..Big reveals himself a Limey. No wonder the Irish Boneyarders have been bad mouthing him.

5..SVC, who does not deign to put his hands into dirt, nevertheless...

6..Ah, but Husky, you can't go there again. This comes from the great Philosopher Neal Diamond, who intoned,
"Poughkeepsie's home, but it ain't mine no more".

7..Good detail by oodles of you. Nat is charmed by your eulogies.

8..Meathead makes good. The Gamecock 4 have all the parts.

9..It took awhile, but SVC brings us to conclusion. The answer of Plato can't be dismissed, cause we rely on him to explain Socrates.

10..Pinot understands that the ditty is not specifying CHEERS.

11.."Friendly old girl of a town."

12..Ed4 and Game

13..SVC finishes things, but pays a steep price, as his insides explode.

Reaction Score
11. On my one and only visit to "Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen," we toured the Carlsberg Brewery, where they gave us free samples of their wonderful, wonderful product. We then 'hop'-ped a bus to the Little Mermaid accompanied by a fellow American, who was also at the brewery tour. He was quite drunk and kept saying over and over how he was going to sit in the mermaid's lap. When we got there, the Little Mermaid (she really is little---I was expecting the Statue of Liberty) was about 30 feet offshore. Sure enough this guy rolls up his pants, wades out to the mermaid and climbs up onto it. Geesh. The classic definition of "Ugly American."

Reaction Score
#9 is a lot more profound. Karl Jaspers in his very famous 1949 book, Vom Ursprung und Ziel der Geschichte, identified the period as the "Axial Period" (Achsenzeit). It included, besides those named above, Zoroaster and Isaiah, among many others. A period of exceptional spiritual and intellectual transcendence, but, alas, a sort of hiatus between periods of great conquest, empire and suppression, which, nonetheless established a global cultural baseline for what is possible to think and feel.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
#9 is a lot more profound. Karl Jaspers in his very famous 1949 book, Vom Ursprung und Ziel der Geschichte, identified the period as the "Axial Period" (Achsenzeit). It included, besides those named above, Zoroaster and Isaiah, among many others. A period of exceptional spiritual and intellectual transcendence, but, alas, a sort of hiatus between periods of great conquest, empire and suppression, which, nonetheless established a global cultural baseline for what is possible to think and feel.

Jaspers' Axial Age focuses on his interest in eastern philosophy and religious systems with their proponents such as Confucius, Lao-Tse, Buddha, Zarathustra, Elijah etc. He was not trusting of science and mathematics. There is not much mention of the great math and science thinkers. He found them and reality far too limiting. Mysticism was more his bag (no pun intended). However, his and others' observation of the existence of so many great thinkers in a roughly 800 year period was quite perceptive. There were scores of them. How one can select a list of three to start the Axial Age (age of rationality) is really tough. But fun to try. I still prefer Pythagoras over Socrates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jaspers' Axial Age focuses on his interest in eastern philosophy and religious systems with their proponents such as Confucius, Lao-Tse, Buddha, Zarathustra, Elijah etc. He was not trusting of science and mathematics. There is not much mention of the great math and science thinkers. He found them and reality far too limiting. Mysticism was more his bag (no pun intended). However, his and others' observation of the existence of so many great thinkers in a roughly 800 year period was quite perceptive. There were scores of them. How one can select a list of three to start the Axial Age (age of rationality) is really tough. But fun to try. I still prefer Pythagoras over Socrates.
maybe...
I don't think you can (or at least I can't) distinguish between moral and natural (pre-) Socratic philosophers....Even Socrates himself, esp. in the Meno, draws on mathematical knowledge to demonstrate (or is it Plato who is demonstrating? we just don't know) an early version of the theory of forms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom