OT: General knowledge test #520A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #520A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Refrain from political talk, do not press "reply", and do no research please.

1.Three presidents(?) died and one(?) was born, all on this date.

2..Which 2 share a county? Atlantic City, Camden, Elizabeth, Newark, Paterson, Hackensack

3.."Yoo Hoo, Mrs. Bloom."

4..Who starred in the long ago THE GOLD RUSH?

5..What European KO'd Floyd Patterson?

6..Whose last concert took place at Market Square Arena, Indianapolis?

7..Distinguish meiosis from mitosis.

8..Named Fort ______ in 1819, the largest _____ one ever built.

9..A U. N. report says the world gains 66, 72, 83, 97, 105, or 111 people every year.

10....Which Prez nominated Robert Bork as a Supreme. Why didn't the Senate want him?

11..There are 8 million stories in the _____ ____. This has been..?

12..England recently announced it would aid No. Ireland residents with...? Why seen necessary?

13..Why is the Chinese Bank of Nandong in the news?

Reaction Score
10: Reagan. Strict constructionist, did not believe changing the Constitution was the job of the Supreme Court.
11: big city, one of them.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
An Adjustment for Q2...Add Fort Lee to your list of towns.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
4..Charlie Chaplin
5..Johanson
6.Elvis ... he was due in Hartford shortly thereafter.
10....Regan. Too strict with literal view of Constitution
11..There are 8 million stories in the naked city. This has been.one of them
12..England recently announced it would aid No. Ireland residents with abortions. Why seen necessary – don't know, didn't read the article, only the headline.

Reaction Score
1. July 4th
2. Elizabeth, Newark
5. Ingamarr Johannsen
7. Mitosis is like cloning when cells are created that are exactly like the cells from which they were created. Meiosis produces similar cells but not exactly like the original(confusing to be sure which is exactly how I always understood it. Not too well)
9. 97
10. Ronald Reagan. Nomination torpedoes for his role in the Saturday Night Massacre.
11. Naked City, one of them

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
1. July 4. I can name the presidents that died on the 4th, but am ashamed to admit I don't know who was born on it.

2. No it isn't Elizabeth (county seat of Union County) and Newark (Essex County). Nor Atlantic City and Camden, which are the only two southerly cities, but are not in the same county. It is in the Newark / Patterson / Hackensack / Fort Lee grouping. My wild guess is Hackensack and Fort Lee. Don't remember Fort Lee's county, worked just south of it in Edgewater. If I'm wrong and the Wirechief says Newark and Patterson, I won't be shocked.

4. Chaplin I think.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Oops, on #1 Wirechief wants the details. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4th, 1826 and James Monroe on July 4th in the 1830's, forget the year. For birth I'll guess Teddy Roosevelt, but I have no idea.

Reaction Score
1. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died 4 July 1826. The birth and the other death
are unknown to me.

Reaction Score
5) Ingemar Johansen
10) Reagan....too far right for the Dems
11) Naked City.......one of them

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. July 4th

4.. Charlie Chaplin

5.. Ingemar Johansson

7.. Meiosis divides a cell in two steps with DNA replication in the first divide but not the second. Mitosis divides a cell once with DNA replication.

9.. 97

10.. President Ronald Reagan; according to the democrats he was against abortion and desegregation and for a police state and censorship

11.. There are eight million stories in the naked city. This has been one of them.

13.. Violating USA sanctions against North Korea

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
7..Distinguish meiosis from mitosis.

9..Maybe 111 people a day.

10....Ronald Reagan - Primarily his stances on abortion, civil rights and women.

12..Abortions are still illegal in Ireland - England will pay for Irish women to have abortions in England.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1.July 4. I know Adams and Jefferson died on July 4 within hours of each other (1824?); can't recall the others.

5. Ingemar Johansson (I only know this from "My life as a dog")

7..Meiosis is cell division during the initial phase of reproduction -- sperm and eggs only have one DNA strand, so it doesn't have to undo undo itself in order to replicate. Mitosis is general cell division.

10... Reagan -- the Senate thought Bork was too literal in his interpretation of the Constitution.

11..Story Corps? Touring the country?

12..My guess would be reparations for the Troubles, it's seen as necessary for healing.

Reaction Score
1. July 4. Adams and Jefferson died on the same July 4.
7. Mitosis is the creation of a replica of a cell though splitting of the DNA strand. Meiosis is different and related to sexual reproduction, but I don't recall quite how.
10. Reagan nominated Robert Bork. The rest is a loaded question. Bork had been promised a Supreme Court seat by Nixon for being the person who agreed to go along with the Saturday Night Massacre. Nixon obviously could not pay off the favor. He was also a very conservative nominee - a strict constructionist. Democrats believed or pretended to believe that he was racist, pro-life, and low on civil liberties. He eventually fell well short of confirmation losing five or six Republican votes. The next nominee was Anthony Kennedy, who was approved almost unanimously. Aggrieved conservatives believe that Bork's record was unfairly attacked and that he did not receive the respect a nominee should get in the confirmation process. It's often cited whenever Republicans are accused of not practicing decorum or behaving improperly as a yeah, but what about Bork?
11. Naked City. Just one.
12. Maybe something to do with Brexit?
13. Is that the Bank that's caught up with Kushner and/or other Trump connections?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..You have the deaths down, and I shall not stay silent about you specifying the 1 birth. Knight alone knew about James Monroe.

2..Edgewater is literally right there, along the Hudson, so we are tickled pink that you, Knights, were thrown out of that burg before Hurricane
Sandy hit. Like Edgewater, Fort Lee and Hackensack are in Bergen County.

3..C'mon, the lady in the tenement window calling across the courtyard in the 50's sitcom.

4..Fair, Knights & SVC never watch the talkies. And I thought my love for the 70's made me "stuck".

5..Pinot's group is sevenfold for the Swede.

6..Fair is sure Elvis has left the building.

7..I'm partial to Game here as he alone mentions sex. I believe in sex.

8...I refer you to Q1 to name this fort.

9..Sorry, I now discover I left out the word "million".

10..I will add that Bork was the guy who actually fired A. Cox, and that did not sit well.

11..The VAUC quartet is exact.

12..Fair reads headlines. Rocket goes further and answers the question.

13..I suspect SVC didn't need wifey for this one.

Kindly attend to 1, 5, 8 & 9.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom