OT: General knowledge test #518A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #518A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
PLEASE DO NOT HIT "REPLY"...Also no research nor political asides.

1..In 1930 James Braddock wrests the tittle from..?

2..In 1215 who signs on to the Magna Carta, thereby activating it?

3..The 1950's TV series Flash Gordon incorporates music(?) by Franz Liszt.

4..Russians go to the polls in 1996 to elect whom as president?

5..Pizza and River need the same modifier. What? And explain.

6..As the tale goes, what caused the rift between Sinatra and Peter Lawford?

7..From FRIENDS two things unusual about Phoebe's pregnancy?

8..The late Helmut Kohl presided early over his most famous accomplishment(?)

9..Goat's Head ____ Nazi. And explain.

10..Whole Foods and Bonobo are symptomatic of a larger rivalry. Describe.

11..The Prez who signs the Smoot-Hartley Act?

12..Largest city in Myanmar?

13..To Elizabethans, the queen was not the head, was not the heart, but the_____ of England.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. Max Baer was defeated by James “Cinderella Man” Braddock.

2.. King John

4.. Boris Yeltsin

5.. The modifier is “Mystic.” Mystic Pizza and Mystic River were both movies.

6.. Lawford would not share his Coppertone with Sinatra.

8.. Reunification of Germany

10.. Amazon is acquiring Whole Foods which is a direct assault on Wlamart’s grocery business which generates over half of Walmart’s revenue. Walmart is acquiring Bonobos which is another step in the expansion of their e-commerce business with the intent of challenging Amazon’s e-commerce leadership.

11.. Herbert Hoover

13..Head

Reaction Score
1. Max Baer
4. Boris Yeltsin
5. Mystic -- Mystic River, Mystic Pizza
8. The tearing down of the Berlin Wall
13. Soul

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
4..Boris Yeltsin

9..Soup - Rolling Stones Album and Seinfeld soup store that recently went bankrupt

Reaction Score
1. Max ....something. German. From Movie.
2. King John
4. Boris Yeltsin
7. She was a surrogate. She had twins.
8. German Reunification

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
6. I thought it was the Kennedys. Sinatra campaigned vigorously for JFK in '60 but after the latter won, JFK and the Kennedys cooled their connection/friendship with Sinatra (reportedly due to Sinatra's Mafia ties). Since Lawford was still married to Pat Kennedy at the time, he became persona non grata with Frank.

Reaction Score
3. I'm guessing "Les Preludes", excerpts from which also shared musical duty with
the William Tell Overture on the Lone Ranger program.

12. Rangoon - although I think they changed the name to something else when they
changed Burma to Myanmar.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
5..Mystic Pizza was a light dramedy from the mid-late 80's that introduced us to Annabeth Gish, Lili Taylor, and Julia Roberts. Mystic River was a much darker film from the late 90's-early oughts that introduced us to Emmy Rossum, also had Sean Penn, Laura Linney, and several other well-known actors. I love both movies.

8..Reunification

9..Goat's Head Soup was a Stones album, the Soup Nazi was in Seinfeld. I've seen 1/2 hour of Seinfeld (when my folks were visiting, they insisted), exactly 1/2 hour more than I've seen of Friends.

10..Organic bush meat.

12..Yangon/Rangoon.

Reaction Score
1. Primo Carenera
1.. Max Baer
2. King John
4. Boris Yeltsin
8. The unification of Germany
9. Goat's Head Soup Nazi. Rolling Stones LP and iconic Seinfeld character. BTW, the soup really is all that and the proprietor will, in fact, move on quickly to the next customer if you are not ready to order.
13. Soul

Reaction Score
1) Max Baer....not Jethro, his father
2) Oliver Cromwell...I'm guessing
3) Hungarian Rhapsody...another guess
4) Boris Yeltsin
8) Germany's reunification
12) Rangoon

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..As they indicated SVC, K9 and huskyr were in Max's corner. They had cause to regret wearing their finest threads to the event, as he bled all over them.

2..Big bad John, as Game, SVC and Cajun point out. Actually this threesome wanted themselves to reign as a 3-headed Richared the lion-hearted, but they were more like tin men.

3..Ed4, who once was part of the orchestra, as he rushed around among his triangle, his castanets, and his Moog.

4..Rocket's got a 6-pack going, although each of them cast her/his vote for Anna Kournikova.

5..Who could do better than Big in my desire for explanation, compared to you pikers. Still, his wife and children wish he'd get out of the theater and put food on the table.

6..Les Mis is in the ball park. The story goes that Sinatra invited Jack to stay at his home, when the former visited California. With Jack wanting distance, Peter was entrusted with the message. Sinatra "killed" the messenger.

7..Game is only slightly off ( but we've long known that about Game) Phoebe had triplets that "belonged" to her brother.
A little later we witness Big trumpet his proud ignorance on this matter.

8..Who doesn't enjoy a good reunion? Well, maybe Fredo in a boat with Michael.

9..Rocket and Big--in addition, VAUC invites us to his home for the ritual slaughter. BYOB.

10..We should be in awe of SVC's acumen here, unless this is one of the innumerable times his wife has bailed him out.

11..A trick question. the bill was rejected by Harry on this day in 1947. Congress overruled him.

12..Rangoon/ Yangon...I mean as far away as we are from the country, I'm sure you agree it's all potato/patahto to us.

13..Liver...yes, the Elizabethans were strange folk. Hey SVC, did I not write that it WAS NOT THE HEAD? Sheesh. Sometimes,
you don't know when to talk to your wife.
And K9 thinks Aretha Franklin lived back then. Another Sheesh.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
10..We should be in awe of SVC's acumen here, unless this is one of the innumerable times his wife has bailed him out.
Well, I never ... Any erudite answer from me regarding literature, art, and music may include a bit of input from my Love.

Reaction Score
8..Who doesn't enjoy a good reunion? Well, maybe Fredo in a boat with Michael.

Micheal was not in the boat and I do not believe he ever intended to go on that fishing trip. Micheal's son, Anthony, was called out of the boat at the last minute by Connie leaving Fredo in the boat with with lethal Al Neri. In his final days Fredo made peace with his fate and, IMO, knew that he was not returning home from the boat trip. The jury is still out on whether Connie knew she would never see her brother again.

Reaction Score
Micheal was not in the boat and I do not believe he ever intended to go on that fishing trip. Micheal's son, Anthony, was called out of the boat at the last minute by Connie leaving Fredo in the boat with with lethal Al Neri. In his final days Fredo made peace with his fate and, IMO, knew that he was not returning home from the boat trip. The jury is still out on whether Connie knew she would never see her brother again.
Read the book it's much better and all the characters have much better development. The character "Lucy Mancini" has a bit role in the film, but has a whole chapter and then some devoted to her in the book.

Reaction Score

Was Connie's role in Fredo's murder addressed in Godfather III? I feel like it might have been, but I have not seen that one very many times for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
Read the book it's much better and all the characters have much better development. The character "Lucy Mancini" has a bit role in the film, but has a whole chapter and then some devoted to her in the book.

I have read the book and enjoyed it immensely. Agree about character development, but that is pretty much standard when comparing books and movies. IMO, Michale and Vito were quite faithfully developed over the course of the first two Godfather flicks.

Reaction Score
Was Connie's role in Fredo's murder addressed in Godfather III? I feel like it might have been, but I have not seen that one very many times for obvious reasons.

I am pretty sure I watched Godfather III, but do not remember anything about it other than Sonny and Lucy's son becoming a prominent figure and being allowed to assume the name Corleone.

Reaction Score
I have read the book and enjoyed it immensely. Agree about character development, but that is pretty much standard when comparing books and movies. IMO, Michale and Vito were quite faithfully developed over the course of the first two Godfather flicks.
Agree on Michael and Vito, I saw the movie first then read the book, but as I read the book could not see Brando as Vito as I read it, pictured more of an Ernest Borgnine type in my mind. It's ironic that Puzzo wanted Commander McHale for the role, as did Coppola, but Borgnine backed out due to illness I think.

Reaction Score
Agree on Michael and Vito, I saw the movie first then read the book, but as I read the book could not see Brando as Vito as I read it, pictured more of an Ernest Borgnine type in my mind. It's ironic that Puzzo wanted Commander McHale for the role, as did Coppola, but Borgnine backed out due to illness I think.

Ernest Borgnine might have been a nice fit in the title role. It would have been a nice role for Borgnine, who, IMO, never received any great roles after Marty. And Marty was a remake.

Commander McHale playing Vito Corleone? As a hypothetical casting director, I might have had a difficult time picturing Major Nelson playing J.R. Ewing. That did not work out too badly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom