OT: General knowledge test #516A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #516A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please no political statements. No research; no hitting "reply".

1..What 1947 law allows the Prez to intervene in labor disputes?

2..Compare sideline rules/behavior in bball, tennis, soccer.

3..Harold Nicholson and Ronald Pelton were both convicted of..?

4.."He had white horses and ladies by the score."

5..A Japanese couple in Western dress visit another. As they sit around the dinner table, what is different about their wardrobe compared to Westerners?

6..Griswold vs. UConn Supreme Court results in what?

7..Provide 5 actors from the movie GIANT.

8..___ Child writes the Jack _______ novels. His latest contains short stories titled..?

9..In poker what is a "string bet"?

10.."Now we're up to talking divorce, and we weren't even married."

11..Several Middle Eastern counties have just broken diplomatic relations with..? Why?

12..Last year, after more than 3 decades, an insurance company has ceased living with a dog. Explain.

13..In 1951 she(?) wrote REBECCA. There's now a new movie about a second novel, MY COUSIN ______.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Tennis -- no coaching. A competitor is allowed to receive treatment for an injury
Soccer -- limited substitution, how limited depends on the tourney, league, or what's agreed upon in a friendly. A player may leave for treatment. If he wants to return, the team must play short-handed. Player or sub may enter only on play stoppage. No limits on coaching other than where the coach can stand.
Basketball -- free substitution upon play stoppage. Time must elapse between when a player goes out and can come back in. No limits on coaching other than where a coach stands. This is very loosely enforced, especially when Kim Mulkey is coaching. They should never let those heels on the court period.

4..ELP, Lucky Man

5..Their dress must allow for sitting cross-legged on the floor.

8..Lee Child, Jack Reacher, no idea

11..Qatar, likely a Sunni-Shiite thing

12..MetLife, Snoopy, no idea why

13..Daphne Du Maurier, My Cousin Rachel. Both somewhat Gothic, somewhat romance, and with really good twists at the end. I found the book of Rebecca much better than MCR, but if the movie adaptation of MCR is anywhere near as good as the Laurence Olivier adaptation of Rebecca, it will be a movie well worth watching.

Reaction Score
1. Taft-Hartley?

7. Liz Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean, Carol Baker, and . . . wasn't Chill Wills in there? (maybe Dennis Hopper too).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1.. Taft–Hartley Act

2..Oh, MAN! I hate essay questions in a quiz. Especially when I don't know the answer.:(

3..Spying

4.. Wilton Norman Chamberlain :)

5..Are they visiting the another at an informal or formal dinner? Probably Japanese dress is more conservative. Far less skin will be displayed.

6..Condoms rule! The USA Supreme Court overturned the UCONN Supreme Court ruling on birth control.

7..Rock Hunter, Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean, Dennis Hopper, and Sal Mineo

8..Lee Child and Jack Reacher – short stories title ???

9..If a player does not declare a raise amount but wants to raise, then the player must move all of the raising chips into the pot in one continuous motion. A “sting bet” occurs when the player moves part of the raising chips into the pot typically the “call” amount and then based on the opponent’s reaction places the balance of the raising chips into the pot. If the player had announced a raise and the amount of the raise then the multiple chip move is allowed.

11..Qatar for financially supporting Islamic terrorists

Reaction Score
1. Taft-Hartley
3. Espionage
5. The Japanese will have taken their shoes off
7. James Dean, Sal Mineo
10. On My Own - Patti LaBelle & Michael McDonald
11. Qatar for funding terrorism
12. MetLife and Snoopy. If this is the correct guess, then I have no explanation because I did not notice. Too many dog years.

Reaction Score
2. In soccer and tennis the line is considered within the field of play. In basketball the line is out of the field of play. There is no coaching permitted from the sideline in tennis.
5. No shoes?
6. Established the right to privacy. Concerned state laws regarding birth control. Often criticized by strict constructionists as a bit easy breezy on rooting the decision in constitutional language.
7. Elizabeth Taylor, James Dean. rock Hudson.That's all I got.
9. A string bet is either announcing a bet or putting in a certain number of chips and then adding an additional amount - the idea being that you should not be permitted to attempt to gauge reactions and then change your wager.
11. Qatar. They are accused of supporting terror, but some speculate the bigger reason is that they are are Shia nation aligned with Iran and those boycotting tend to be Sunni controlled.
12. I'm guessing this is Met Life and Snoopy. wild guess.
13. Du Maurier. I can't remember the title of the book because Vinny is overpowering my brain.

Reaction Score
7) James Dean, Rock Hudson, Sal Mineo, Chill Wills, Earl Holiman.

You said actors, not actresses. There was one more big time actor in it, played Rock Hudson's son, can't remember his name. Lol

Reaction Score
Please no political statements. No research; no hitting "reply".

1..What 1947 law allows the Prez to intervene in labor disputes?

2..Compare sideline rules/behavior in bball, tennis, soccer.

3..Harold Nicholson and Ronald Pelton were both convicted of..?

4.."He had white horses and ladies by the score."

5..A Japanese couple in Western dress visit another. As they sit around the dinner table, what is different about their wardrobe compared to Westerners?

6..Griswold vs. UConn Supreme Court results in what?

7..Provide 5 actors from the movie GIANT.

8..___ Child writes the Jack _______ novels. His latest contains short stories titled..?

9..In poker what is a "string bet"?

10.."Now we're up to talking divorce, and we weren't even married."

11..Several Middle Eastern counties have just broken diplomatic relations with..? Why?

12..Last year, after more than 3 decades, an insurance company has ceased living with a dog. Explain.

13..In 1951 she(?) wrote REBECCA. There's now a new movie about a second novel, MY COUSIN ______.
WC....love your tests, always look forward to them, but have to point out that Rebecca was written long before 1951.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
WC....love your tests, always look forward to them, but have to point out that Rebecca was written long before 1951.
Hey, its the little pleasures in life like sipping a wee bit o' brandy while creating a quiz.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..The Taft/Could it be a Bria kin? Act, VAUC, ed4 and SVC are inquiring minds.

2..Subject to 2 interpretations-Big chose one; Game another. We learned earlier that SVC doesn't read. Now we know he doesn't write as well.

3..VAUC & SVC choose different words, symptomatic of their not getting along.

4..If it were Wilt, the song would need to read, "Ladies by the tonnage." So, SoCal & Big are correct, but I dispute everyone would know this group by initials. You can get away with CCR, ELO, or CSN with their greater popularity.

5..Actually Japanese households increasingly have tables and chairs.
Now, cultural anthropologists will tell you all societies have standardized ways of marking the boundary between indoors and outdoors. The tradition in Japan is that no spot of earth should be tracked inside. Game and VAUC allow, sort of, that they are in slippers.

6..Here's a chuckle. I fell into the familiar "UConn", when I meant the state, and nobody seemed to notice.
Yes, this is a strike down of anti-contraceptive laws. Game & SVC have long been running around looking for loose women,
or, in their words. floozies.

7..Mercedes McCambridge, anyone? And how could you forget Sheb Wooley? And "actors" is also sex-generic

8..Big and SVC have author and character. Title is No Middle Name.

9..See Cajun...or SVC...or if you haven't had enough of the topic, Game.

10..Long On His Own, VAUC also wrote O Solo Mio. You should hear him sing it. On 2nd thought...

11..Additionally Qatar wants to be seen as no longer a client state, but independent of Saudi Arabia. A Game Quartet here.

12..Big, VAUC & Game are in the Peanuts Gallery( you need to be old enough to have watched Howdy Doody to get that reference).
And whoever on Spell-Check rejected "Doody" isn't old enough either.

13..Actually it's Absinthe for creating a quiz. And do you find it intriguing that they picked a Rachel to portray My Cousin Rachel?
Rachel Weisz, that is. Yes, I see symbolism just everywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom