OT: General knowledge test #510A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #510A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Hi again, folks. Be thorough in your explanations. Do no research. Don't hit "reply".

1..Outside of sports and beasts, what is the Bobcat?

2..My cat likes to step across my computer. Zez Confrey sort of anticipated this. Explain.

3..His first leading role was Sam's Song (later re-edited as The Swap). Who?

4..______ is the world's leader in nautical shipping containers, out of a small country(?)

5..Oh Lord, how they play and play
On that happy day. On that hap...py day.

6..What Gypsies call themselves? And what Sinatra song("Forget ______") would constitute a rhyme thereof?

7..Fall off a skateboard and you may lose some skin. Which is what you want when you pick up a can of pomodori ______. Explain.

8..Link Catherine Breillet and Rocco Siffredi.

9..Molycorp has restarted Mountain Pass. Explain.

10..Place Paramaribo, Sucre & Quito.

11..Extract the commonality--State Fair, Bernadine, Goodbye Charlie.

12..The 1 horned rhino is found almost exclusively in which 2 Asian countries?

13..What was the "Checkers Speech"?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
1. It is a (relatively) small piece of heavy equipment, almost like a pocket steam shovel, use to dig trenches and such. It can push and pull stuff and clear some ground, too.
13. Richard Nixon, as Ike's VP nominee, was accused of taking financial favors and gifts. Nixon used the example of being given a black n' white cocker spaniel, I believe, as one of the "gifts" he'd been given. They named the dog "Checkers". He said something to the effect that "My two daughters love that dog, and, we're gonna keep him!", deftly ridiculing and deflating the issue.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
6. Romani. It's what everyone should call them. People get to decide how to be addressed.

10. Ecuador

Reaction Score
10..Ecuador?

11..Pat Boone was in all three films

12..Java and Indonesia

Reaction Score
1. Small construction machinery
6. Romanis
7. Pomodori Pelati (peeled/skinned tomatoes)
10. Capitals of Suriname, Bolivia (although technically LaPaz is the capital) and Ecuador
13. Richard Nixon speech about taking inappropriate gifts and saying he was not about to return his daughters' dog, Checkers, which they had received as a gift.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1. Bobcat (Company) is a Korean owned American based manufacturer of construction equipment. Bobcat is the brand name of the Bobcat Company’s line of front-loaders. Bobcat is the vernacular reference to any smallish front-loader. Bobcat is actually their brand name for all of their construction equipment products.
2. He anticipated cats stepping across my computer … keyboard. Since I have no idea who or what is a Zez, this is all I have. Wait! Is he a pianist whose cats bothered his piano practice? He sprayed his piano keys with a citrus fragrance thus eliminating the problem. :cool:
3. “world's leader in nautical shipping containers” Really! If we need to elaborate, you need to elaborate. Manufacturer of shipping containers? Movers of shipping containers? Sellers of shipping containers? Cargo Company? Etc., Etc., Etc.! Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to any of my questions. Now you desire succinct answers. Yes, no, maybe? ;)
4. Gypsies call themselves Roma. Sinatra’s song is Forget Domani which does not rhyme with Roma. Unless the old skirt chaser was referring to la femme. Since female gypsies are Romani, we have the rhyme. Male gypsies are Romano.
7. Pomodori is probably the plural of Pomodoro or tomato. Ergo we have a can of preferably San Marzano tomatoes which are always skinless.
12. India and Nepal
13. Nixon’s televised speech in 1952 as then a candidate for the Vice President position on the Republican presidential ticket is the Checkers Speech. He defended himself against accusations that there was a fund to reimburse him for his campaigning expenses. He was on the attack urging people to call the Republican National Committee requesting he be retained as the VP candidate. He finished with there is one gift he was given and intended to keep. It was a black and white dog his children named Checkers. Ergo the name of the speech.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1. Small piece of heavy equipment. I drove my late mother-in-laws a few times.

6..Romani and (?)domani

10..Suriname, Bolivia, and Ecuador

12.. Assuming it's the white rhino, India and (?)Bangladesh

13..Nixon trying to humanize himself talking about his dog

Reaction Score
9) the Mountain Pass mine is a rare earth mine that Molycorp has owned for many years. I believe it's in Colorado but can't remember for sure.

Reaction Score
1. A small tractor. Very useful
4. Panama
4. Liberia
4. the Netherlands
8. Does one have to admit to having seen the movie Romance? Ms Breillet directed and Mr Siffredi got to display his talents in a mainstram movie.
10. Ecuador
13. President Nixon's appeal to the American people concerning a puppy that was given to him to whom his daughter(s) had become very attached. The dog's name was Checkers.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1.. the SVC 5 have been tearing up their lawns to plant ecologically friendly cacti & succulents.

2..Well, SVC is on the write track. Zez wrote Kitten on the Keys. His brother Pez made a fortune in candy.

3..SVC jumbles his numbers, but we'll otherwise ignore this. The actor a few years later was Johnny Boy in Mean Streets.

4..OK, they transport said containers by floating over many seas, M_____ Lines own the vessels.

5..From Cat Stevens...and is the album title.

6..Collectively they are Romani and Big also provides the song. I'm getting dyslexic with SVC's numbering.

7..The lady speaks Italian, so of course she knows "pelati". But even non-speakers have the phrase available to them on super market shelves. Eat more tomatoes!

8..People have told VAUC about the movie ROMANCE. No, no, that was before this test, so don't accuse him of researching.

9..Rare is the earth Molycorp seeks, and rare is the appearance of huskyrob.

10..You want good command of geography? See K9.

11..Cajun is correct about the guy who started his career by stealing others' songs. Alan Freed wouldn't play him for that reason.

12..SVC is henceforth our go-to guy on anything .

13..A half hour rousing defense of fund improprieties, distracting his viewers with tales of family bliss over a pooch.
Pinot, K9 & SVC capture the context.

Kindly attend to #'s 3,4,5.

Reaction Score
4. I can only think of the Maersk Lines..... these shipping lines like to register their vessels in tax friendly countries like Panama, Liberia and the Marshall Islands but which one? I guess the Marshalls

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
4. I can only think of the Maersk Lines..... these shipping lines like to register their vessels in tax friendly countries like Panama, Liberia and the Marshall Islands but which one? I guess the Marshalls

It is Maersk and the ownership is where something is rotten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom