OT: General knowledge test #508A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #508A

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Please no research and don't press "reply".

1..The transistor, microwave, solar cells and microchip all came from one company(?).

2..Pluto and ____, the 2 largest _____ planets.

3..In the Jungle Book movie what is the "red flower"?

4..The 1916 Easter Rising refers to what place?

5..Old joke: The definition of a cultured person is one who can listen to the William Tell Overture without...

6..The Golden Flashes are found on what campus?

7..In 1862 Flag Officer..? captures New Orleans.

8..Who wrote Proud Mary?

9..With 12.8 million members, this(?) is 3rd largest religious organization in America.

10..In 1974 the bloodless Carnation Revolution overthrows Estado Novo of..?

11..Once his devotees, A_____ A___, regularly took to the links.

12..Before & after: Midnight ______ Junkies. And identify.

13..Beans need rice and vice versa. Explain.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1..The transistor, microwave, solar cells and microchip all came from one company(?).
Bell Labs (AT&T)

2..Pluto and ____, the 2 largest _____ planets.
Ceres, dwarf

4..The 1916 Easter Rising refers to what place?
Ireland?

5..Old joke: The definition of a cultured person is one who can listen to the William Tell Overture without...
Thinking of the Lone Ranger?

8..Who wrote Proud Mary?
John Fogerty

9..With 12.8 million members, this(?) is 3rd largest religious organization in America.
I'm not sure what organization means in this context

11..Once his devotees, A_____ A___, regularly took to the links.
Arnie's Army

12..Before & after: Midnight ______ Junkies. And identify.
Cowboy (movie and band)

13..Beans need rice and vice versa. Explain.
To make complete protein (true of most legume/grain combinations)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
5 - Thinking of the Lone Ranger?
6 - Kent State I think.
7 - Farrugut (sp) the first admiral and also hero of Mobile. He sailed / steamed past the forts protecting NO from the south and sailed up to the wharves pretty much unopposed.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
9. Methodists, I believe. I base my answer on an article in today's NY Times which says Methodists are the third largest religious denomination in America after Catholics and Southern Baptists.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
1. Transistor – AT&T Bell Laboratories, microwave – Raytheon, solar cells – AT&T Bell Laboratories, microchip - Texas Instruments
2. Eris, Dwarf Planets
5. thinking of the Lone Ranger
6. Kent State, alma mater of Jack Lambert and James Harrison
8. John Fogerty
9. Judaism
11. Arnie’s Army

wally16

Wally16
Reaction Score
1. Transistor – AT&T Bell Laboratories, microwave – Raytheon, solar cells – AT&T Bell Laboratories, microchip - Texas Instruments
2. Eris, Dwarf Planets
5. thinking of the Lone Ranger
6. Kent State, alma mater of Jack Lambert and James Harrison
8. John Fogerty
9. Judaism
11. Arnie’s Army
About AT&T, read an article about the employees there, where no matter how smart you were, there was always someone there who was smarter.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
About AT&T, read an article about the employees there, where no matter how smart you were, there was always someone there who was smarter.
This is quite true about the Bell Labs' folks. I worked (Can enjoyment be called work?) in the high tech industry. Occasionally we had dealings with some of the Bell Labs folks. Eddie, a flaming redhead, was a stereotypical example. Brilliant beyond doubt! Quirky beyond doubt! We had a business dinner at an upscale steakhouse. Eddie shows up in a madras suit, madras tie, madras shirt, and, yes, madras socks. Apparently he could not find madras shoes. I could never tell if this was rebellion against corporate norms or just Eddie. Probably both. No one cared as long as his mind came along for the ride. Eddie was always hungry and ignored business talk until he was sated. The dinner organizer launched into a protracted discussion with the sommelier. I observed a growing impatience in Eddie. Finally he lunged across the table scooping up the wine cork popping it into his mouth. His swished it about and popped it back onto the table pronouncing the wine suitable and exclaimed "Lets eat!" I wish I had a cell phone back then to forever capture the shocked facial expressions of the sommelier and the organizer. Other five of us bursted in loud uncontrollable laughter.

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
12..Cowboy - midnight Cowboy the movie - Cowboy Junkies the band.

Reaction Score
1. General Instruments
5. Saying that it is the theme from The Lone Ranger
6. Wichita State
8. John Fogarty
11. Arnie's Army

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..All but the microchip came from Bell Labs. It is written that the Labs had all they needed to fashion the microchip, but they missed understanding that. As a result, Texas Instruments beat them to it. SVC & Big both took the entrance exam for Bell Labs but were told they only had the proficiency for washing beakers.

2..Eris is correct, supplied by SVC. Big asked for some credit cause his Ceres rhymes, but we can't allow that.

3..There's a sad paucity of Jungle Book viewers. Zorro wins because apparently the film was only shown in Central America.

4..Ireland, with Dublin emphasis. Ed4, Big & Zorro all had ancestors who benefitted by looting there.

5..The Knights foursome is the pinnacle of the uncultured.

6..Knights & SVC pinpoint Kent State.

7..Knights alone gives us an historic itinerary, an obsession that compensates for his terror of water.

8..The VAUC Quartet all left a good job in the city.

9..Rbny's answer underscores how the rest of you are missing out by not reading the NY Times.
Geno does not support your allegiance to the National Enquirer and Tattler.

10..Tip: The old instrumental "______ Antigua" by Nelson Riddle.

11..TXs starts a slew of you stating Arnie's Army. Afterwards all were spirited away to become Bush's Army in Iraq.

12..Big & Rocket show you can watch movies AND listen to music. A step up from walking and chewing gum, a problem for many posters.

13..Together they form a complete protein, so says the malnourished Big, raised on Fruit Loops.

Just finishing #10 is your task.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"All but the microchip came from Bell Labs. It is written that the Labs had all they needed to fashion the microchip, but they missed understanding that. As a result, Texas Instruments beat them to it. SVC & Big both took the entrance exam for Bell Labs but were told they only had the proficiency for washing beakers."

What is your source for microwave? Percy Spencer is legendary for melting a candybar in his pocket while trying to improve a radar system while at Raytheon. Thus accidentally discovering a way to produce microwaves and what to do with them. Amana, a division of Raytheon, brought to market the first microwave oven which for $600 I bought for cooking and powerlifting. God, was it ever heavy! Or God, was I ever weak! He, who, discovered the microwave was none other than James Clerk Maxwell.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Bell Labs is credited with the TD Microwave Radio Relay & Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation. Otherwise you are correct.

Reaction Score
The microwave did not come from Bell Labs. Percy Spencer discovered the technology. Raytheon licensed its patents to Tappan. Amana is credited with making the first counter microwave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom