OT: General knowledge test #489A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #489A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It's a long night for me. This helps whittle away time.

Please no research nor reprinting questions.

1..This large lake has nature's only fresh water seal.

2..Hungary has no border with Croatia, Bosnia, Poland, Austria. Slovakia, Slovenia.

3..Suicides account for 2/3, 3/5, 1/2, 2/5, 1/3, or 1/4 of all gun deaths.

4..By now we know that this NFL team will miss the playoffs for the 16th straight year.

5..Only 2 states(?) automatically try 16 & 17 year olds as adults for felonies.

6..World's largest amphibian?

7..In 1879 he(?) built A Doll's House.

8..Why can't legal marijuana growers use banks?

9..The '50's saw an Eisenhower- Nixon union. In 1968 it happened again. Explain.

10..Meatloaf's Two Out of Three Ain't Bad: What's the evidence that he's not singing
to her in Orlando.

11..Disney's 1st animated feature?

12..Argo-________ spills 7.7 million gallons of oil off Nantucket in 1975.

13..In 1973 Gerald Ford is a replacement. Explain.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
2..Poland
3..2/3
5..One has to be Texas - I'll guess Arkansas as the other.
11..Steamboat Willy

Reaction Score
1. Lake Superior
2. Slovenia
3. 3/5
4. Cleveland Browns
5. Texas and Georgia
6. Giant Salamander
7. Chekhov
9. President Nixon's daughter, Julie, married Ike's son/grandson??, David
11. Steamboat Willie
13. When Vice President Agnew resigned, Gerald Ford was confirmed to replace him as VP.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
1. Lake Baikal (sp?)
6. Giant salamander found in China, I believe, goes over 200 lbs.
10, " .. the snow is really pilin' up outside, I wish you wouldn't make me leave ..." Snow is unlikely to be piling up in Orlando

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
7. Ibsen
12. Argo Merchant

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. Poland I think. Too far north.
3. hmmm 1/3???
8. Think it has something to do with state vs federal laws. It's legal in CO, but federally it's still illegal to accept (wash) money from federally illegal means.
10. "the snow is really piling up outside, I really wish you wouldn't leave me here". Not a lot of snow in Orlando. Of course he could be not singing to her in LA either, or Houston or Mexico City, or....
13. Ford replaces Agnew as VP. And then Nixon as President. Never elected to either office.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
11..Steamboat Willie is the first Disney production, but it is a short, not a feature.

5..Get yourself out of the southwest.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
11..Steamboat Willie is the first Disney production, but it is a short, not a feature.

11. If you mean a full-length feature movie, the answer is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Walt Disney took a huge financial risk by developing a full-length animated movie. Nobody had ever done it before. Some people thought he was crazy. But the result was spectacular -- one of the best movies ever. And it was a huge financial success. It turned out that Walt knew what he was doing.

Reaction Score
1..Baikal?

2..Poland

3..Suicides account for 2/3.

4..jacksonville?

5..Texas? Mississippi?

7..Ibsen

8..they'll lose their money because of federal banking laws and the fact that marijuana is not legal under federal law

9..Ike and Tricky Dick get elected. Julie and David get married.

13..Replace Spiro Agnew as VP.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
2..Nobody said there's only one.

4..The team once lost 4 Superbowls.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
4. Based on your hint, the Buffalo Bills.

Reaction Score
11. Well excuuuuuuse me. You want the first feature, and want us to carefully read the question. Having young kids in the VCR era made it possible to see a number of Disney features. They were all good and I do not know which one was first. Suffice it say, it was not The Little Mermaid or Lion King.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1..I can picture the silly ol' bear on my couch watching our beloved nature programs together, elbowing each in the ribs now and then with a, "Wow, look at that". He with his pinot; I swilling chardonnay, while there's a knock on the door. In comes hoop demanding room on the couch to see the critters of Lake Baikal.

2..Hoop appears again with the important addition of Bosnia to our Poland posters. Nothing to do with nature, so hoop must have other viewing habits.

3..Hoop's joined by Rocket (not necessarily on anyone's couch) with the high 2/3 figure.

4..Rbny & VAUC show shrewdness about hints--the Bills.

5..NY & NC...preserving Texas' reputation that there's one outrage anyway in which it does not participate.

6..Pinot & VAUC are last seen promoting the Chinese giant salamander as the ideal pet.

7..Rbny and hoop fail to think of Ibsen's first name--Henrik. Well, yes, they still get credit.

8..Meyers & hoop successfully explain banking nervousness. Our twosome here like to promote the Tony Soprano
practice of hiding cash under the duck feed.

9..Julie and David, one hopes, exhibiting more intimacy than do their older relatives. VAUC & hoop

10..Meyers takes us on a completely unnecessary world tour...but that's Meyers. He and Pinot snow us.

11..My goodness, rbny, my dear fellow, all those extra words are not germane. You add redundancy
where unneeded.
Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear in your movie seats, when the cartoons, the raffles, the newsreels,
the coming attractions, the serials, and the popcorn hawking were all done. Look at the screen.
AND NOW OUR FEATURE PRESENTATION. Elegant simplicity, crystal clear in meaning. Did we say to ourselves, "Could this
be another Woody Woodpecker"? Nay, we fully expected "full-length" as an unquestioned assumption.
Well, I could go on...What? You say I already have? Sheesh.

12..With no pussyfooting, rbny offers Argo-Merchant, straightforward fellow of frugal language as he is.

13..You are all too polite to mention Spiro Agnew as a corrupt Veep, but I'm not.
VAUC, hoop and Meyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler