OT: General knowledge test #478A | The Boneyard

OT: General knowledge test #478A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Are you also up, with coffee in hand, at this silly hour? I'll soon know. But however groggy, you must avoid research and reprinting questions.

1..What fraction of millennials still live with parents?

2..Stephanie ____bago.

3..This university(?) sends more blacks to med school than any other.

4..At 18 years and 4 months Lydia Ko is..?

5..Describe the plight of a 14 year old Muslim in Texas. Come now, the clock is ticking.

6..She was a Beaulieu before marrying a famous singer. Who?

7..The circumstances surrounding Teddy's first White House tenure?

8..What's the gist of the famous short story THE LOTTERY?

9..Billy Joel's THE STRANGER builds on Carl Jung's "shadow" concept. Explain.

10..What does "The Defense of Fort M______" become?

11..According to the Blue Zone project, Loma Linda, Ca. is one of the 5 top world sites for..?

12..What has Harper done to Atticus?

13..Homo Naledi--where and what?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
4. A number of things: an LPGA pro who just won her first major tourney, could be ranked #1, could be leading the money list, a lot of fun to watch on the golf course.
7. If memory serves, he was VP when the President - Garfield? - was shot - by Giteau?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
4. A number of things: an LPGA pro who just won her first major tourney, could be ranked #1, could be leading the money list, a lot of fun to watch on the golf course.
7. If memory serves, he was VP when the President - Garfield? - was shot - by Giteau?

4..Yes, beloved Pinot, but your answer suggests my mentioning her age was an empty exercise.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
4..Yes, beloved Pinot, but your answer suggests my mentioning her age was an empty exercise.
well, I'm pretty sure she's the youngest player ever to win a major

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
4. Youngest female golfer to be ranked #1 in the world
5. He designed a digital clock as a school project. Unfortunately, his teacher was not amused. She put a digital device and his Muslim name and heritage together and came up with terrorist. Had the police learn how to tell time.
7. TR became president after McKinley was assassinated. (The democratic machine put him into the vice presidency in order to relegate him to oblivion. Oops.)
12. Well obviously you are talking about Harper Lee and Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. Other than that, I'm not sure what you are going for.
13. A new human ancestor was found in a cave in South Africa. Bones of several individuals were uncovered from about 50,000 years ago.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
12. In Harper Lee's new book (a newly discovered old manuscript that has been published under the title Go Set a Watchman), an elderly Atticus Finch is a racist who attended a KKK meeting -- a really strange way for the life of this great hero of literature to play out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
5. Arrested and sent to Juvie for making a digit clock - interrogated by police for a few hours without parents being notified, or without any adult advocate, suspended from school for 3 days. (Interestingly his sister was also suspended for, according to a classmate 'stating she wanted to blow up the school' a few years ago.) This in a town that held the 'cartoon representation of Muhammad' contest a while back.
10. McHenry (?) is the military action that is described in our national anthem as seen from the deck of a warship in the war of 1812 (?) Original title for the song.
7. Geordi beat me to it.
13. Expanding Geordi - the cave contains hundreds if not thousands of different bodies of this newly discovered ancestor (some debate if it is new or a variation on a previously known one.) This represents the earliest know instance of some form of funereal process in human ancestors, as the bodies are all located in the same remote area of a large cave complex

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
3. Howard??
5. Ahmed made a clock that looked like a bomb. Supposedly to impress one of his teachers. The teacher told him not to go around showing everyone basically because it could be mistaken for a bomb. He carried it around anyway and I believe it went off, alarmed, in one class. The teacher reported it to the principle who looked into it and called the police. They determined it was not a bomb, but questioned him about it being a "hoax bomb", which is also illegal. Most likely he did it for attention, which he is surely getting. My understanding it was not for a school project, he just wanted to make a clock.
6. Priscilla Presley
8. short story about a community that held an annual lottery to select a townsperson to sacrifice (by stoning) to appease the harvest gods. One of my favorite short stories from when I was in school. It was kind of cool in that it did not let on what the lottery was for until the very end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
3. Howard??
5. Ahmed made a clock that looked like a bomb. Supposedly to impress one of his teachers. The teacher told him not to go around showing everyone basically because it could be mistaken for a bomb. He carried it around anyway and I believe it went off, alarmed, in one class. The teacher reported it to the principle who looked into it and called the police. They determined it was not a bomb, but questioned him about it being a "hoax bomb", which is also illegal. Most likely he did it for attention, which he is surely getting. My understanding it was not for a school project, he just wanted to make a clock.
The interesting part of this is that the teacher determining it might be a bomb, and the school administration determining it might be a bomb, and the police thinking for an hour it might be a bomb, all sat around with a school full of students staring at this supposedly suspicious/possibly explosive package for about 4 hours before they arrested the kid and took him out of the school in handcuffs. And of course, at no time was the bomb squad actually notified or called in.
It turns out it was in fact a 'bomb' as in a 'bad publicity bomb', and a 'legal nightmare bomb' for the school, police department, and community - they behaved in consistently inconsistent ways, and broke the law and their own procedures in the way they handled a minor child, and failed to notify his parents.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The interesting part of this is that the teacher determining it might be a bomb, and the school administration determining it might be a bomb, and the police thinking for an hour it might be a bomb, all sat around with a school full of students staring at this supposedly suspicious/possibly explosive package for about 4 hours before they arrested the kid and took him out of the school in handcuffs. And of course, at no time was the bomb squad actually notified or called in.
It turns out it was in fact a 'bomb' as in a 'bad publicity bomb', and a 'legal nightmare bomb' for the school, police department, and community - they behaved in consistently inconsistent ways, and broke the law and their own procedures in the way they handled a minor child, and failed to notify his parents.
From what I've read, they pretty quickly determined it wasn't a bomb. They were looking into if it was a hoax bomb. And from what I've read the school did follow their procedures. Not so sure about the police though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
From what I've read, they pretty quickly determined it wasn't a bomb. They were looking into if it was a hoax bomb. And from what I've read the school did follow their procedures. Not so sure about the police though.
Probably shouldn't hijack the thread - but the 'pretty soon' is a long time to leave a school full of students if they ever really believed it was a bomb. And if they didn't then their actions become even more suspect.

Reaction Score
1. 35%
3. Fisk
4.The youngest person to hold the # position in ladies golf.
5. Got arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school, now has invitations to attend science fairs and the White House.
6. Priscilla Presley before marrying Elvis. Her father was an Air Force officer.
10. The Star Spangled Banner
12. Brought him back to life in her new book.
13. An early man like fossil found in South Africa.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Probably shouldn't hijack the thread - but the 'pretty soon' is a long time to leave a school full of students if they ever really believed it was a bomb. And if they didn't then their actions become even more suspect.
IDK, the actual timing of it all. And I don't know that they did "really believe" it was a bomb. They might, and I don't know for sure but it's kinda playing out this way, have been mostly in the "hoax bomb" scenario.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
1..30%

4..#1 ranked woman golfer.

5..A clock by any other name doesn't necessarily go boom! Poor Mohammed was arrested for bringing his home made clock to school, then subsequently suspended.

13.. Recent discovery of a new homo species in South Africa. A large number of bones were discovered in a deep cave system.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
1..30%
2..Stephanie Winnebago -- that girl got around
3..Howard?
5..He made a clock for a school project and when he brought it to school there was a huge hubbub because people thought it might be an explosive device. Was the kid profiled?
6..Elvis
7..It was a rough ride
8..Human sacrifice .. a small town has a tradition of picking names out of a hat every year to pick someone to be stoned. I remember it as a pleasant 7th or 8th grade read.
9..We all have a face that we hide away forever.
13..Homo Naledi--probably a species of ancient man

Reaction Score
1. 35%
3. Fisk
4.The youngest person to hold the # position in ladies golf.
5. Got arrested for bringing a homemade clock to school, now has invitations to attend science fairs and the White House.
6. Priscilla Presley before marrying Elvis. Her father was an Air Force officer.
10. The Star Spangled Banner
12. Brought him back to life in her new book.
13. An early man like fossil found in South Africa.

#4. The youngest winner of a major on the LPGA tour

Reaction Score
7. TR was a republican. It was the republican pols who wanted to get rid of Teddy by
making him VP.

Atleast5char

I did it; I let the dogs out.
Reaction Score
5..Brought a homemade clock to school, teacher thought it was a bomb.

6..Priscilla Presley?

7..Became President upon the assassination of McKinley

8.. A small town who holds a lottery each year, and whoever is chosen is stoned to death.

12..I've only read 3 chapters so far, but I believe she's made him a member of the KKK.

I don't know if I'm late, as I don't read the other posts, i.e., peek. :)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
1.. You are funny guys. Mrs. Goodbody taught you the difference between fractions and percentages, but did you listen? Noooooo.
Anyway, you drink the Kool-Aid of media pessimism, for it's "only" between 1/7 & 1/6.

2..Some of you would know the fictional big-haired Jersey private detective who finds her way to the top of the best seller list often.

3..Sometimes rbny doesn't get to a NY Times article right away, but I grok that he's catching up tonight and will be front and center in the morning. It's a New Orleans place.

4..Youngest #1. Check. Youngest Major victor. Check. Can't drink yet. Check.

5..Wow, you are sure well versed in 14 year-old Muslim lads in handcuffs in the great state of Sam Houston. Here in Florida
we had a recent incident of a kindergartener also in such hardware. Is this a great country or what?
As is often the case, Meyers brings a, um, selective rendering of the situation.

6..VAUC says she was an army brat. And Elvis was drafted. What a beautiful, fateful union.

7..Yes, McKinley is to JFK as TR is to LBJ. Got any more?

8..OOOO, the suspense of that tale, especially for one new in town. Gives you a sense of relief that you always walk out of your neighborhood convenience store without buying a ticket, doesn't it?

9..Fair provides a cryptic response with a line from the song. Not much text. Does anyone recall what word Jung used as the opposite, as the face we do show the world?

10..Nice detail from UcM, with 2 cents from VAUC.

11..For health and longevity.

12..See rbny's consternation. Apparently Atticus was a superb defense attorney, cause he didn't really believe in what he espoused in court.

13..The geordi/UcM exposition will get you up to date.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
3..Sometimes rbny doesn't get to a NY Times article right away, but I grok that he's catching up tonight and will be front and center in the morning. It's a New Orleans place.

3. I waded my way through the Sunday Times Magazine this morning. The answer: Xavier University of New Orleans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom