OT: Garage doors | The Boneyard

OT: Garage doors

Reaction Score
Anyone have an estimate for cost to install new motorized garage doors? Our current garage has two wooden doors that manually open and close, they fold inward and take up side space that makes getting in & out really tricky. Also, they don’t close tightly, and security-wise, they are a joke.
So, is installing new automatic garage doors very expensive?

Reaction Score
Without looking 1500 labor,off the shelf doors 700

Reaction Score
Anyone have an estimate for cost to install new motorized garage doors? Our current garage has two wooden doors that manually open and close, they fold inward and take up side space that makes getting in & out really tricky. Also, they don’t close tightly, and security-wise, they are a joke.
What is the size? Double width or single?
For the guy with the answer...

Reaction Score
I had a 9x7 replaced a couple of years ago. New door, new opener, and new molding around the outside as mine was rotted through. It cost $1100 for all of that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just replaced mine, went to B&B Overhead Door in Newington. Paid $1400 for my 8’ x 7’ door.

Bruce is a good guy he’ll help you out.

Reaction Score
Insulated door or uninsulated? There are many options that may dictate price.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I just had (Dec) two installed for $1,675, with one opener and a keypad entry.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are insulated doors worth it? Seems like it’s only a handful of days a year my garage gets truly cold

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Are insulated doors worth it? Seems like it’s only a handful of days a year my garage gets truly cold

In a finished garage, yes. If not, don't bother.

Reaction Score
In a finished garage, yes. If not, don't bother.
I’d love to be able to use my garage workbench all year long, but with no insulation and non-insulated doors, it’s basically a walk-in fridge for 5-6 months. Will being insulated make enough of a difference without a heat source?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yes, absolutely. Insulate the walls and ceiling and drywall the rest. Then use one of these when working.

RIDGID 18-Volt 60K BTU Hybrid Forced Air Propane Portable Heater-R8604242B - The Home Depot
+1 on having insulated garage doors make a big difference in a finished garage. A few years ago I replaced my original garage doors (the crappy stock ones that builder put in 25 years ago), with new, insulated doors, and it not only makes a huge difference in the garage temp, but also in the rooms that shared walls with the garage. Also, when you get a new garage door opener, spend the extra $100 and get a belt drive opener, not a chain drive. Much quieter and the warranty was 5 years for the belt drive and 1 year for the chain drive.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I just had (Dec) two installed for $1,675, with one opener and a keypad entry.
Hi Tom
Who did you use? out of where?
Thanks

Reaction Score
Geez, I have one ballpark estimate so far, $1400 for door and $400 more for motor. Since we have two separate doors, and I assume we’d need two separate motors (or can one motor open/close both doors?), this comes out to $3600! I’ll check another company to see what they’d charge. We have nothing now, not replacing but installing all new- is that why so expensive?

Reaction Score
Get Three quotes, one can be Home Dupo Ha Ha they use local people. Look at the same r value door materials etc. for your Quotes try and use local people incase you need service. Good Luck.

Reaction Score
Geez, I have one ballpark estimate so far, $1400 for door and $400 more for motor. Since we have two separate doors, and I assume we’d need two separate motors (or can one motor open/close both doors?), this comes out to $3600! I’ll check another company to see what they’d charge. We have nothing now, not replacing but installing all new- is that why so expensive?
I am sure there are posters who know this stuff better than I, but when I replaced mine, the motor was $400 for chain drive, $500 for belt drive. The garage doors were right around the $1400 a piece, but those were triple insulated, new rails, with a some sort of cool window design on the top panel, to let light in. The windows were also triple paned and hurricane proof plexiglass, so they are pretty good doors. Like a previous poster said, the prices depend on what you want. I am sure there are plenty of choices lower than $1400 a pop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am sure there are posters who know this stuff better than I, but when I replaced mine, the motor was $400 for chain drive, $500 for belt drive. The garage doors were right around the $1400 a piece, but those were triple insulated, new rails, with a some sort of cool window design on the top panel, to let light in. The windows were also triple paned and hurricane proof plexiglass, so they are pretty good doors. Like a previous poster said, the prices depend on what you want. I am sure there are plenty of choices lower than $1400 a pop.
What brand were the doors?

Reaction Score
Costco has a local door company do it for them and it's high quality and reasonable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom