OT Galapagos Islands | The Boneyard

OT Galapagos Islands

Reaction Score
We are trying to plan a May 2022 trip to Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands. We would plan our flights from JFK to and back from Quito

We would welcome suggestions on a tour group for a sleep on the boat tour around the island which includes flights from and back to Quito We've seen a number of tour companiues online but not always easy to judge a company.

Does anyone have suggestion on any tour companies they would recommend?

Also, we'd welcome any other insights or suggestions such as boat size (thinking less than 30) and number of days needed (6-8?)

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
E9-F6-F81-D-7420-4-CE8-AB34-566302-C883-B7.jpg

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I was there with my wife December of '19. You are going to love it. I have many suggestions. There's a lot to go over so we should probably do it in a private message.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
just ask for chuckie d, and mention my name. he'll hook u up. back in our culinary institute days, he taught me a wicked cool recipe for turtle soup.
HMS-Beagle-Strait-of-Magellan-edition-South-1890-colourised-1536x952.jpg

and since ur sorta in that hood, just pop by my cuz's crib and say hi.
they'll be waiting by the harbor for you. don't get alarmed iffn they look all hammered and tipsy, that's just how they roll down there.
Easter-Island-Feature.jpg

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Don't eat the Blue Footed Booby casserole. You want to go in May you better get cracking.

Reaction Score
Haven’t been to the islands but I travel to Ecuador. Try to spend time in Guayaquil. You could also go to Salinas, montañitas if you are looking for cool beach towns. I haven’t been to Quito yet but it’s much colder there up in the mountains. Easy JFK direct flights to Guayaquil from jet blue at 2 pm.

Reaction Score
QDOGS5
I was there with my wife December of '19. You are going to love it. I have many suggestions. There's a lot to go over so we should probably do it in a private message.
QDOG5 - Thank you. We would welcome your suggestions - maybe even a phone call. However, I am not sure how to do a private message.

BTW, Fishy-We were looking for a little larger Boat

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
rec #3 - immodium a-d. the product description tells us 'This product helps control the symptoms of diarrhea, including Travelers’ Diarrhea.' that travelers diarrhea is a bear who u definitely don't want to meet.

don't leave home without it, unless ur into those witchdoctor remedies, then, good luck!

Reaction Score
Haven’t been to the islands but I travel to Ecuador. Try to spend time in Guayaquil. You could also go to Salinas, montañitas if you are looking for cool beach towns. I haven’t been to Quito yet but it’s much colder there up in the mountains. Easy JFK direct flights to Guayaquil from jet blue at 2 pm.
thank you

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've been and done 7 days on a live aboard dive boat. The land turtles are cool but you only need 15 minutes to see them. they move about 0 mph and eat grass. Try to snorkel with the penguins if you don't scuba dive. If you do dive try to get up to Wolf and Darwin Ilands - amazing diving. The bird life on all the islands is amazing but I went to dive not birdwatch. After an hour of seeing the birds I'm good. Here's Darwin's Arch before the top fell in

Capture.JPG

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My knowledge of it is mostly confined to having watched Master and Commander. Seems like a unique eco tourist opportunity. Enjoy the trip and don't get poisoned, eaten, bitten or impaled by the wildlife.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My knowledge of it is mostly confined to having watched Master and Commander. Seems like a unique eco tourist opportunity. Enjoy the trip and don't get poisoned, eaten, bitten or impaled by the wildlife.
Lol, I was thinking exactly the same thing. In any event, I think he should bring a bunch of wooden cages and travel around the islands trying to capture as much unique wildlife as possible.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
First, If at all possible, fly into and out of Guayaquil. Quito is 10,000' plus and just an adventure in Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) if you are only staying a couple of days. (Day one: don't notice much, day two: headaches, nausea, malaise. day three: more of same.) I say this as a former mountain climber too.
We went with Mountain Travel Sobek because, well because we have enough money and not enough time to plan. The boat had 12 guests and 10 crew. You sleep on the boat, only Santa Cruz has habitation and there is not much there.
Bring a wet suit and really good swim fins as the water is cold and the currents strong.
Honestly there isn't much you can say about these types of trips. Generally the tour companies are well regulated and attentive, they know about Trip Advisor and Yelp, so they go out of their way to insure they meet your expectations. Which brings up the point what are your expectations and clearly articulating them. Let the tour guide know what you want and they will work hard to fulfill your desires.
We had a good time. The frau was seasick often but that is a different story (and due to medical conditions). I enjoyed it. Spent more time walking on islands then my preferred swimming and scuba, but it's all good.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
First, If at all possible, fly into and out of Guayaquil. Quito is 10,000' plus and just an adventure in Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) if you are only staying a couple of days. (Day one: don't notice much, day two: headaches, nausea, malaise. day three: more of same.) I say this as a former mountain climber too.
We went with Mountain Travel Sobek because, well because we have enough money and not enough time to plan. The boat had 12 guests and 10 crew. You sleep on the boat, only Santa Cruz has habitation and there is not much there.
Bring a wet suit and really good swim fins as the water is cold and the currents strong.
Honestly there isn't much you can say about these types of trips. Generally the tour companies are well regulated and attentive, they know about Trip Advisor and Yelp, so they go out of their way to insure they meet your expectations. Which brings up the point what are your expectations and clearly articulating them. Let the tour guide know what you want and they will work hard to fulfill your desires.
We had a good time. The frau was seasick often but that is a different story (and due to medical conditions). I enjoyed it. Spent more time walking on islands then my preferred swimming and scuba, but it's all good.
The water can be very tricky as the islands are at the conjunction of 3 currents so the surge is plenty strong and as @boba said - the water is cold (I wore an 8mm wetsuit to dive).

You can see lots snorkling and I wasn't specific in my comment above - it's one of the few places on earth you can swim with penguins. Galapagos Penguin - Go Galapagos

Reaction Score
Been there (on boat for 7 days) and I’m happy to share a few suggestions. DM me if you like.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
All flights to the Galapagos go through Guayaquil so if you can fly direct it will save you money and time. Our boat was the Isabella II. You can youtube it and watch a short video. Our guides were great. We visited Santa Cruz, Floreana, Espanola, and San Cristobal on a four night trip. Staying overnight on a boat is a must. There are day trips from Santa Cruz but you don't get the same experience. We used a travel agent in our town who booked through ecoamerica tours. This is a good site .

Reaction Score
All flights to the Galapagos go through Guayaquil so if you can fly direct it will save you money and time. Our boat was the Isabella II. You can youtube it and watch a short video. Our guides were great. We visited Santa Cruz, Floreana, Espanola, and San Cristobal on a four night trip. Staying overnight on a boat is a must. There are day trips from Santa Cruz but you don't get the same experience. We used a travel agent in our town who booked through ecoamerica tours. This is a good site .
thank you - we'll look at that site. I am going to try to private message you

Reaction Score
just ask for chuckie d, and mention my name. he'll hook u up. back in our culinary institute days, he taught me a wicked cool recipe for turtle soup.
HMS-Beagle-Strait-of-Magellan-edition-South-1890-colourised-1536x952.jpg

and since ur sorta in that hood, just pop by my cuz's crib and say hi.
they'll be waiting by the harbor for you. don't get alarmed iffn they look all hammered and tipsy, that's just how they roll down there.
Easter-Island-Feature.jpg
This cliffy post was criminally overlooked...well done

Reaction Score
Other advice

Banos is cool for extreme sports but even if you don't like that, it is still beautiful.

Mindo is also a quaint lovely place with some nice hiking nearby.

When in Quito be sure to see La Mitad del Mundo.

Also, as others have probably said, Cuenca is very nice, and hike nearby in Cajas, you won't regret it. Even under some light rain it was gorgeous.
It is a nice city, in places, but any more than a day, or even half a day if you can make it a stop over, is too much IMO.

Finally, I had no issues with the food while there.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom