OT: funny story on how i became a uconn fan | The Boneyard

OT: funny story on how i became a uconn fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was sitting on the couch with a uconn football game in the background and my father watching. Out of nowhere he starts yelling and cursing at the TV, he scared me sh itliss so he tried to explain to me what had happened. Of course me at the time not being a football fan had no idea what the hell he was talking about. But from that point on uconn I had an interest in uconn athletics'. Later that year I had learned that uconn basketball was coming up, so I decided I would watch. The first uconn game I watched was the against Kentuky, during the game I learned that college ball was much more interesting than professional, I also learned to hate the squid ;-). That same year uconn went though Kentuky again to win the Nat. I had a great first year as a uconn fan and I always will be. So yea...... I became a uconn fan starting with angry yelling but ended that year a champion. :)

Reaction Score
I was sitting on the couch with a uconn football game in the background and my father watching. Out of nowhere he starts yelling and cursing at the TV, he scared me sh itliss so he tried to explain to me what had happened. Of course me at the time not being a football fan had no idea what the hell he was talking about. But from that point on uconn I had an interest in uconn athletics'. Later that year I had learned that uconn basketball was coming up, so I decided I would watch. The first uconn game I watched was the against Kentuky, during the game I learned that college ball was much more interesting than professional, I also learned to hate the squid ;-). That same year uconn went though Kentuky again to win the Nat. I had a great first year as a uconn fan and I always will be. So yea...... I became a uconn fan starting with angry yelling but ended that year a champion. :)
You are pretty verbose for a 5 year old. ;^)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
yea i have bad grammer. doesn't help i had to type that all on my phone
Don't worry the resident grammer professor Boatshow has no tolerance for us who are all thumbs on our phones - he's a perfection king
Good Story

Reaction Score
yea i have bad grammer. doesn't help i had to type that all on my phone
What I meant was how could you not be a fan so much earlier. UConn football hasn't been on tv until fairly recently (5 years?)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What I meant was how could you not be a fan so much earlier. UConn football hasn't been on tv until fairly recently (5 years?)
I'm in high school, like I said did not care for fball, doesn't mean I'm young. However I see how that could be confusing

Reaction Score
Wow! im 37 and i fondly remember "The Dream Season" which to you must seem like ancient history. like when i watch highlights of the great indiana teams of the 70`s

Reaction Score
I lost my college bball virginity during the dream season. That experience turned me into a total nope - I'll watch almost any bball game these days. I even dabble with the pros every once in a while if I'm desperate enough. But I DO NOT do high school bball.

Reaction Score
I lost my college bball virginity during the dream season. That experience turned me into a total nope - I'll watch almost any bball game these days. I even dabble with the pros every once in a while if I'm desperate enough. But I DO NOT do high school bball.
You will watch almost any bball these days but barely any NBA and no high school. Sounds like you only watch college bball, far from the bball nope you portray yourself to be.

Reaction Score
You will watch almost any bball these days but barely any NBA and no high school. Sounds like you only watch college bball, far from the bball nope you portray yourself to be.

Kind of a tease I guess - but I do get lots of jewelry.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I was a decently young lad and I couldn't sleep at night. I went downstairs and saw my father watching a UConn-Georgetown game in January I believe. UConn won and I went to bed happily. Been a fan ever since.

Reaction Score
My dad was a huge Uconn fan (went there). He was thrilled that the regionals were in New Jersey in 1990. He took me to my very first Uconn basketball game against Clemson (The Shot). I was 9 years old. Needless to say it was a life changing religious experience for me that set the wheels in motion of a lifelong relationship with Uconn. (I went there and received 3 degrees and counting). The sheer exhilaration and joy of winning that miracle sweet 16 game was followed by agony and utter contempt for anything Duke related after Chrissy's shot.

I have a funny story about Chrissy. I was a freshman at Uconn in 98-99 and won the lottery to get tix to the final four. So 6 other friends / students and me drive down to Tampa for the game. After the first games where Duke and Uconn won, we were hanging out in the final four festivities camp and we see Chrissy and Thomas Hill. We started bull*#itting with them and got pictures and what not. I asked him if it hurt when Rod Sellers smashed his head into the floor. He said. "Rod Who". So before we go he assured us Uconn has no shot against duke on monday night. I said if your right and i see you after the game ill buy duke gear and wear it out of Tampa with my tail between my legs. However I said if we win and see you after the game I want you and Thomas Hill to rock uconn gear for pictures. He agreed, most likely thinking that A. Duke would crush us and B. he would never run into us again. So what happens. Of course we win and go stalking around for Laettner. Miraculously we end up running into him where he promptly re-negs saying something to the effect that he was late and had to jet. So we ultimately ended up getting him to put on a Uconn hat only (no jersey) for pics. I will post as soon as I find. Still probably the funniest weekend of my entire life, especially since we scalped our student tix for $2500 each and bought them back immediately from disgruntled Ohio St fans for $400. Crazy crazy trip.

Reaction Score
That would be one hell of a pic. Have to give it to CL though for allowing that pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom