OT: Former UConn golfer qualifies for US Open | The Boneyard

OT: Former UConn golfer qualifies for US Open

Reaction Score
That is one of the cool things about the US Open. They hold local and regional qualifiers and anybody who meets the minimum handicap can enter. You play well enough you can be taking in Tiger. Years ago an uncle of mine won the regional qualifier. He was an engineer in his day job and his boss didn’t want to give him a week off. LOL. The owner of the company stepped in and let him go. He used to say he led the Open since he was like the 3rd group and birdied #1. Didn’t make the cut but met Arnie.

Reaction Score
We had a local at my Golf Course a few years ago.
One of the young guys who played with us entered . I think the entry fee was $75 ,so why not. He was a huge hitter but only shot a 72 which wasn’t good enough to get to the regionals.
His opponent a club pro from Tucson shot a 66 on the strength of a great short game. I Don’t think he missed a putt inside 12 ft.
The cut line was around 68 with an Aussie touring pro shooting a course record 62.* For som reason a lot of Aussies golfers live in the Phoenix area .
Not one of these great qualifiers made it past regionals so it’s quite an achievement
*I lost track of that guy but some years later he was an early round leader in either the Aussie Open or their PGA events.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is one of the cool things about the US Open. They hold local and regional qualifiers and anybody who meets the minimum handicap can enter. You play well enough you can be taking in Tiger. Years ago an uncle of mine won the regional qualifier. He was an engineer in his day job and his boss didn’t want to give him a week off. LOL. The owner of the company stepped in and let him go. He used to say he led the Open since he was like the 3rd group and birdied #1. Didn’t make the cut but met Arnie.

The 96 Waterbury Open?

Reaction Score
Congrats to Eric Dietrich who won the section qualifier in Walla Walla, Washington to punch his ticket to Pebble Beach. It’ll be good to have a UConn guy to root for during the quiet months.
Cheshire to UConn ‘17 via Canadian MacKenzie Tour to Walla Walla qualifier to Pebble Beach US Open:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom