OT: For you fans of British... | The Boneyard

OT: For you fans of British...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
...mysteries, like myself (well, except for Poirot and Kenneth Branaugh's version of Wallander)
another season of Inspector Lewis begins Sunday, Our hearts are aflutter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's fine. But the return of Foyle's War is the big news.

Reaction Score
I too didn't care that much for Poirot when it first began, but it has grown on me over
the years, largely due to the meticulous characterization by David Suchet.

As for Wallander - I have never read the books, so I don't know whether Branaugh's
characterization of the title character is true to the original or just a horrendously
over the top personal affectation. But, either way, it's way more Scandinavian angst
than I can handle.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I too didn't care that much for Poirot when it first began, but it has grown on me over
the years, largely due to the meticulous characterization by David Suchet.

As for Wallander - I have never read the books, so I don't know whether Branaugh's
characterization of the title character is true to the original or just a horrendously
over the top personal affectation. But, either way, it's way more Scandinavian angst
than I can handle.

Netflix streaming has a Swedish series starring Krister Henriksson that is good quality with much less Swedish hand-wringing. A little dour sometimes(but then it wouldn't be Swedish
without), but our hero functions without marked personal afflictions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
People don't understand that Ingmar Bergman was a Swedish optimist.

I enjoy a number of the Scandinavian series on Netflix but do prefer Branagh's to the original although do appreciate both.

Reaction Score
I've read a lot of the Wallander books, and thought Branagh did a reasonably good job of capturing his morose qualities. Seems like they can't devote sufficient time to make him more complex on screen. I attribute a lot of that to the fact that the books aren't exactly rife with dialogue...and thoughtful looks don't necessarily communicate much on the screen. A good screenwriter would help by getting some of the inner dialogues into the staging, but nobody seems to want to pay one these days...

Reaction Score
...mysteries, like myself (well, except for Poirot and Kenneth Branaugh's version of Wallander)
another season of Inspector Lewis begins Sunday, Our hearts are aflutter.

My favorires are P.D.James (Dagliesh), Deborah Crombie (Kincaid and Jones) and Louise Perry ( inspector Gamache). Just discovered Crombie and Perry--great mustery writers.

I am also a bid fan Of inspector Lewis on TV. Can'y wait to see tonights episode.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
My favorires are P.D.James (Dagliesh), Deborah Crombie (Kincaid and Jones) and Louise Perry ( inspector Gamache). Just discovered Crombie and Perry--great mustery writers.

I am also a bid fan Of inspector Lewis on TV. Can'y wait to see tonights episode.

So, Jonathan, on your recommendation I just watched sea1, epi1 of Adam(Netflix streaming). He cuts quite a dashing figure, does he not? I'll continue.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also streaming on Netflix is Cadfael with Derek Jacobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom