OT: For Goodness Sakes, She's Only 16! | The Boneyard

OT: For Goodness Sakes, She's Only 16!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As the ESPN article points out, trimming down was absolutely key for players like Martina and Lindsay Davenport to reach their potential...but to have the kind of feedback Townsend has had would have been devastating to them at the age Townsend is.

Clearly, given that she's the top-ranked juniors player, she's tracking just fine relative to her peers. If she's competing in the WTA and isn't winning matches she should because of movement or just tapping out physically/mentally in three-setters, that's when she, as an adult and a professional, can make a decision about her weight and how great she wants to be.

I will say that Serena, among others, has implied that some portion of the USTA's position is racially insensitive (i.e., many Black women tend to have thicker body types). Lord knows, tennis as a sport is not one that has historically been racially inclusive, but in fairness, Taylor is legitmately heavy. Sloane Stephens, and Serena herself for that matter, are two examples of Black women who have thicker, but nevertheless extremely fit, body types. Not defending the USTA's handling of this overall; I'm just saying I don't think it's racial.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok from what I read in those articles, no one told her she was fat, or overweight, or that she had to lose weight, or that should could not compete, or that funding was being cut.

Looks like they recommended she not compete and work on her fitness and her iron deficiency.

I think people are making a problem out of nothing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Too bad for the young woman. It took a brouhaha for USTA to reimburse her for her expenses? that's a joke. i agree shame on them and mcenroe. i don't disagree the girl needs to work on her conditioning, but as was pointed out, she's 16 years old. what kid at that age (who's an elite level athlete) doesn't have to work on conditioning? whether it's stamina issues for swimmers or runners, or in her case, getting in better shape. that's horrible and USTA should be ashamed.

Reaction Score
Ok from what I read in those articles, no one told her she was fat, or overweight, or that she had to lose weight, or that should could not compete, or that funding was being cut.

Looks like they recommended she not compete and work on her fitness and her iron deficiency.

I think people are making a problem out of nothing.

Why, then, was she forced to pay her own way to the US Open?
A link to the Wall Street Journal article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444273704577635530959121916.html

Reaction Score
I was very surprised not to see any indications that medical advise had a role in the decision making process.

Where were the experts?

You know professionals like doctors and trainers?

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Read the articles that were posted. According to them she is being reimbursed.

Correct, she is being reimbursed, but only as a result of the media coverage. Normally, their expenses are covered ahead of time. The Townsends paid their own way to New York; Had to cover their own expenses while in New York. Taylor Townsend did not enter the US Open with USTA sponsorship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Correct, she is being reimbursed, but only as a result of the media coverage.
Not according to the articles/McEnroe.

One is certainly not going to recommend she not play and then give her the money to do it (up front).

Reaction Score
Not according to the articles/McEnroe.

One is certainly not going to recommend she not play and then give her the money to do it (up front).

Yes, according to the articles.

And that is the point of the whole argument; the Number 1 junior tennis player in the world was asked not to play in the US Open and, as a result, was not paid expenses to participate; Reportedly because of fitness issues. Well, how in the world does one become the Number 1 player in the world without demonstrating incredible skill and fitness? Has she lost a match due to lack of fitness? Does she labor on the court? Did she not win the Australian Open Juniors? One cannot win in Australia being out of shape.
Then when all this came to light, Patrick McEnroe had to backtrack, eventually reimbursing the Townsends for the expenses incurred bringing their daughter to New York to participate in the US Open where she lost in the quarterfinals in singles and won doubles.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, according to the articles.
ummm, no, not according to the articles posted. You may need to read them again. McEnroe said there was a misunderstanding and they had always intended to reimburse her.

And the articles said it had to do with her long term health and low iron. Not about whether she can win now or not.

Read them again if you need to.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, I thought the iron issue was important to the concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom