OT: For golf fans | The Boneyard

OT: For golf fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The Golf Channel has a new documentary series starting tonight at 9 PM. Titled The American Triumverate it follows the careers of Hogan, Sneead and Nelson. I'm assuming that it's based on James Dodson's book.
If it is, I hope it's a bit more interesting because the book was a snoozer with an occasional tidbit dropped in every 20 pages or so.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Should be worth checking out.

For non-golf fans: Sam Snead was a natural athlete of the highest order. Not something that most people would normally associate with 'pro golfer' but true nonetheless. Snead could--well into his 50s and possibly later--jump and kick the ceiling in a normal room (8-ft ceilings) with the bottom of his foot. This was actually documented many times and is not one of those urban legends.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested in Hogan's image as portrayed by the media. Hogan had a difficult time with them because he wasn't a very social person. The media, mostly newspapermen then, were quick to find fault. It reminds me of how the golfing media has never warmed up to Tiger. While they will openly root for Phil and others, they seem to enjoy Tiger's fall from perfection on the golf course. From what I have read about Hogan, he got the same treatment.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
From what I got out of Dodson's book, Hogan could be a real jerk. The reason the press didn't treat him well was because he usually refused to talk to them. He was best friends with Byron Nelson on the tour for a long time until the press started referring to Nelson as Mr Golf. That really irked Hogan and it damaged their friendship. Of the Triumverate Hogan was by far the most driven. Some of it was probably a result of the poverty and some because of his stature. I think he had many issues. Incidentally, Hogan witnessed his father's suicide at age 6 (9?). He heard his mother and father arguing and he walked in just as his father pulled the trigger.

I was actually surprised to learn that Snead was really disliked by many. Apparently not only was he a supreme athlete but he was coarse and crude (something I would never have guessed) and sometimes an embarrassment on the tour.

Reaction Score
"I was actually surprised to learn that Snead was really disliked by many"

Sam had a reputation as a cheapskate. He liked to win but when he lost he had a habit of not paying up. In those days pros made a lot of money playing money matches. I heard a story from a reliable source that Sam played in a money match at a CT club that hosted a pro event and lost. He skipped on his debt and never played in the Insurance City Classic again.

But he had the best swing in golf. IMO

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
"I was actually surprised to learn that Snead was really disliked by many"

Sam had a reputation as a cheapskate. He liked to win but when he lost he had a habit of not paying up. In those days pros made a lot of money playing money matches. I heard a story from a reliable source that Sam played in a money match at a CT club that hosted a pro event and lost. He skipped on his debt and never played in the Insurance City Classic again.

But he had the best swing in golf. IMO

If not the best, at least on a very short list of the best. And certainly the most fluid/natural swing of all the greats.

Other great swings -

Weiskopf
Purtzer
Oosthuizen (IMO)
Els

Hogan made his swing great, and repeatable, through countless hours on the range. Nelson's was great but had a funny dip at the bottom. Nicklaus had the flying right elbow but this was tamed in 1980 when he made changes. Not surprisingly he was far and away the tour's leader in total driving that year, at the age of 40. Tiger's 2000 swing was a thing of beauty as well, before his left leg action became so pronounced (IIRC).

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
On Snead and money: I remember reading a long time ago that Carl Yastremski of the Sox outdid Snead on some land deal in Florida and was more proud of
the bragging rights than the actual money gain.

Beautiful swings: I know it's early but Rory McElroy has got a gorgeous one....powerful and fluid, in balance in perpetuity it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom