OT: Football Board/Basketball Board Stereotypes | The Boneyard

OT: Football Board/Basketball Board Stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Question--are there stereotypes about each board and its posters? I find that there's a very distinct culture on each respective board

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I seems to me (don't know the accuracy, but the thread is about stereotypes, so who cares?) that the vast majority of posters on the football board are also basketball fans. There are a lot of basketball fans who actively resent the football program.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I seems to me (don't know the accuracy, but the thread is about stereotypes, so who cares?) that the vast majority of posters on the football board are also basketball fans. There are a lot of basketball fans who actively resent the football program.

Would agree, and it's understandable. We've kind of screwed them. Most posters do seem to stick more so to one board than the other, though.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Would agree, and it's understandable. We've kind of screwed them. Most posters do seem to stick more so to one board than the other, though.
Disagree. By and large, the resenters believe that football is holding back the Athletic Department from a major conference. What they can't (or wish not to) wrap their heads around is that without football, there is no avenue to that major conference after which they so lust.

Reaction Score
Do the women's BB board folks know we even have a FB program?

Someone started a thread on their board this year about how to get free tickets. Not one single person replied to the post. Granted it was posted at about 10:30 PM and they were all sleeping off their Denny 4:30 PM specials, but my goodness.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The football board has more local people who show up for the games. We need the board to discuss because it's not like there are a lot of other people who want to debate Peart vs Levy in your day to day interactions.

The basketball board has more people from far flung places who need the community. If you live locally there is no shortage of people to talk basketball with.

The basketball board spends way too much time on pretending what they do impacts the games. Oh you are drinking Rolling Rocks?

The football board believes way too much in players they have never seen.

To the basketball board's credit - they get the impact of recruiting a lot better than the football board. Although they are way to sensitive to the media. You've got 4 national championships - who cares what some writer thinks. At the same time they dismiss solid programs and good players based on those championships.

Lastly the baskeball board doesn't seem to get that the 1990-2010 Big East isn't coming back. Nor does college basketball resonate nationally besides March. Short of joining the ACC the days where there was an neverending slate of huge regular season games is over.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Do the women's BB board folks know we even have a FB program?

Someone started a thread on their board this year about how to get free tickets. Not one single person replied to the post. Granted it was posted at about 10:30 PM and they were all sleeping off their Denny 4:30 PM specials, but my goodness.

There's the stereotype of all sports fanbase related stereotypes. Women's basketball fans are made up of Grandparents, girls under the age of 10, and women who enjoy the company of other women.

Reaction Score
The football board has more local people who show up for the games. We need the board to discuss because it's not like there are a lot of other people who want to debate Peart vs Levy in your day to day interactions.

The basketball board has more people from far flung places who need the community. If you live locally there is no shortage of people to talk basketball with.

The basketball board spends way too much time on pretending what they do impacts the games. Oh you are drinking Rolling Rocks?

The football board believes way too much in players they have never seen.

To the basketball board's credit - they get the impact of recruiting a lot better than the football board. Although they are way to sensitive to the media. You've got 4 national championships - who cares what some writer thinks. At the same time they dismiss solid programs and good players based on those championships.

Lastly the baskeball board doesn't seem to get that the 1990-2010 Big East isn't coming back. Nor does college basketball resonate nationally besides March. Short of joining the ACC the days where there was an neverending slate of huge regular season games is over.

This is the biggest difference between the boards. The hoops board is of the mindset that if we never upgraded football that the hoops program would still be safely in the BE. Unfortunately, they don't understand that today's BE is not the same conference as it once was

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
FB: Manic
MBB: Self-centered
WBB: Delusional

Reaction Score
As insane as the FB board is, there are a lot of football knowledgeable folks. Nothing gets past this group (even when it should). Of course, its comprised of the last line of die hards manning the fort. Good to be part of the gang that won't fold and believe big things can come.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Oh, voice of reason. All I know is that when I was in Detroit I found a place that had RR but didn't eat wings. Lose. In Houston, I insisted we get wings, took us 15 minutes out of our way and because of that it cost us at least an hour stuck in traffic. Win. Couldn't make it to Dallas, watched all of the games at the local watering hole. When they ran out of Rocks, they let me bring my own. Win. If you think it affects the mojo, it affects the mojo.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The football board thinks that if you draw 32,000 to the Rent instead of 28,000 it will impact UConn's conference realignment odds.

The basketball board is like a medieval cult. We worship deities and have really facked up traditions. Winning got to our heads.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Wow, I just realized that I am manic, self centered and delusional. I never knew, thanks.

Me too. I would also add schizophrenic. I have an all white husky and a black and white husky arguing with each other in my head. Neither of them ever win.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow, I just realized that I am manic, self centered and delusional. I never knew, thanks.

Ask your doctor if The Boneyard is right for you... :eek:

Reaction Score
The tinfoil hats on the basketball board who honestly believe that ESPN, the NCAA, CBS, SI, ect. all hate UConn makes it flat out unreadable at times. The level of insecurity is pathetic.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I try to avoid both boards in season until the last month of the regular season. They are too negative, feature too much sniping at the teams and too much posturing and infighting amongst the posters. However, it's all too typical of sports team message boards which is why I participate much, much less in them than I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom