OT: Flu shot redux | The Boneyard

OT: Flu shot redux

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So I woke up with what felt like the flu this morning and just confirmed that it is influenza A, the strain that is most common right now. I had the flu shot for this strain a couple months ago so I am hopeful that I have a relatively mild bout, which is what has happened the few times I have had it over the years. Fingers crossed, but I will say that, although I feel like crap, I don’t feel as bad as I feared I would when I felt it coming on. Put me squarely in the flu shot camp.

Reaction Score
So I woke up with what felt like the flu this morning and just confirmed that it is influenza A, the strain that is most common right now. I had the flu shot for this strain a couple months ago ..... Put me squarely in the flu shot camp.

Sorry, that puts me more squarely in the 'no thanks' camp.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just wait. The influx of illegals may get you a case of Zeka Virus (or worse).

You're more dangerous than 50,000,000 of them combined.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How did you confirm it's influenza A?
Flu test. You stick a long cotton swab uncomfortably high up your nose until your eyes water, twist for ten seconds to get some booger juice on it, and then they test it and you get results in 15 minutes or less. Mine took around five minutes to show positive for influenza A.

Reaction Score

I thought they were bringing leprosy? Hannity said so.

Reaction Score
"Zeka"? LOL! What is Zeka? I think you just invented a new virus! Nobel Prize to you!

Reaction Score
I tended bar for more than a decade in a variety of establishments and a variety of locations on both coasts; it’s hard to not to want proper glassware once you know what it is.

I have exactly one snifter for exactly this purpose.
Do you use a warmer?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Flu test. You stick a long cotton swab uncomfortably high up your nose until your eyes water, twist for ten seconds to get some booger juice on it, and then they test it and you get results in 15 minutes or less. Mine took around five minutes to show positive for influenza A.

If there's nothing they can do for a virus there's no reason to do the test. My guess is it's for epidemiological purposes and I'm not going through that so they can count cases.

The first question I ask when a doctor wants to do a test is, "how will the result help treat what's wrong."

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If there's nothing they can do for a virus there's no reason to do the test. My guess is it's for epidemiological purposes.
My wife is a pediatric nurse. She wanted to know because it means she needs to be extra vigilant now in staying away from me, as she can’t go to work if she gets it.

Apparently they can give you Tamiflu, which is an antivirus medication that has some side effects and at best decreases the length of the flu by a day. Since I had the flu shot and am otherwise relatively young and healthy there is no reason for me to take it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you use a warmer?
No. I did at some places where I tended but at home I just put hot water in the snifter (sometimes boiling water from a kettle; sometimes microwave), let it sit for a minute, then toss the water and pour in the Grand Marnier.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I tended bar for more than a decade in a variety of establishments and a variety of locations on both coasts; it’s hard to not to want proper glassware once you know what it is.

I've got a couple of Couvosier (spic) snifters from a gift bottle package over 20 years ago. I hang on to them but never drink anything they would be suited for. I remember people using B & B as a cold/flu remedy back in the day.

Reaction Score

Indeed. I've got a ton of different glassware - a good glen cairn really helps pull the aroma out of whatever you're drinking and if you're using a glen cairn it's likely brown.

Not only can it enhance the enjoyment, but a drink in the proper glassware just tightens the presentation up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife is a pediatric nurse.

For a second I read that as "My wife is a pedantic nurse" and I was thinking well that's an odd revelation; must be the fever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom