OT: Five Favorite Olympic Performances? | The Boneyard

OT: Five Favorite Olympic Performances?

Reaction Score
The first Olympics I remember well is Mexico City in 1968. Here are my favorite performances. Now, of course, some of this is taste for which sports a person likes, athletes they like, etc. For many years, track and field was my favorite Olympic sport. Hence the preponderance of track and field athletes below.

1. Bob Beamon, long jump, 1968. Need I say anything?
2. Bill Toomey, decathlon, 1968: his long jump in the decathlon would have placed him 4th in the long jump competition. (The decathlon is my favorite track and field event.)
3. Edwin Moses, 400m IM, 1976: Moses came out of nowhere, made the team, and broke the world record in the Olympics. From 1977-87 (For ten long, long years he did not lose a race! I still cannot believe it.)
4. Jackie Joyner-Kersee, heptathlon, 1988: In her prime, JJK (formerly JJ), was unbeatable in the heptathlon. She broke her own world record in Seoul (and won the long jump gold too!). She has held the heptathlon world record for more than 30 years! (And there is no question in my mind that she competed clean, i.e., no drugs). And, she is a very, very sweet, nice person. She also played briefly in the WNBA or its predecessor, I believe.
5. Michael Johnson, 200m, 1996: After getting food poisoning two weeks before the 1992 Olympics (he was the heavy favorite in the 200 and could not really compete), his "golden shoes" run of 19.32 was wonderful. (I also have great respect for his coach, the legendary Clyde Hart, which only makes his victory that much sweeter.)
6. Michael Phelps (every race in Beijing), 2008: After winning 7 gold medals the year before in the world championships (with 7 world records, and would have had 8 but the US was disqualified in the medley relay), Michael withstood everything, including a truly great French relay team in the 4x100 free (Michael did not get much press on this race, but his opening 47.51 helped keep the US in contention), his goggles filling up with water in the 200 fly (OK, he just goes to Plan B and breaks his own world record), his famous out-touching of Cavic in the 100 fly, and his monster fly leg in the medley relay to put the US ahead for good. He brought his "A+" game to every swim, under so much pressure.

OK, I gave six, not five! :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I'm big on "undisputed champions." Victories by very comfortable margins, where you are convinced that ten more runnings would all produce the same result.

Katie Ledecky so outclassed her opponents in the longer swimming distances in 2016, most noticeably in 800 meters. In 100 meter sprint, an event usually decided by leaning at the finish, Usain Bolt had a comfortable advantage. US Women's basketball team beating Serbia 96-66 for the gold was impressive, but they did struggle against Spain in the semis. I like it when the marathon leader enters the stadium for the last lap, and makes half a lap to a crescendo of cheers or more before #2 even appears.

Otherwise, Karrie Strugg's 1996 final Olympic vault, while badly hobbled, was simply amazing...………………..

Reaction Score
Yes, Katie Ledecky is truly dominant, and with the 1500m added to the Olympics (it is in the World Championships), she could be more dominant in the 2020 Olympics.

Yes about Bolt, but I have stopped watching track and field, due to the use of drugs, which seems rampant. Now, Bolt was clean, for sure.

Reaction Score
The first Olympics I remember well is Mexico City in 1968. Here are my favorite performances. Now, of course, some of this is taste for which sports a person likes, athletes they like, etc. For many years, track and field was my favorite Olympic sport. Hence the preponderance of track and field athletes below.

1. Bob Beamon, long jump, 1968. Need I say anything?
2. Bill Toomey, decathlon, 1968: his long jump in the decathlon would have placed him 4th in the long jump competition. (The decathlon is my favorite track and field event.)
3. Edwin Moses, 400m IM, 1976: Moses came out of nowhere, made the team, and broke the world record in the Olympics. From 1977-87 (For ten long, long years he did not lose a race! I still cannot believe it.)
4. Jackie Joyner-Kersee, heptathlon, 1988: In her prime, JJK (formerly JJ), was unbeatable in the heptathlon. She broke her own world record in Seoul (and won the long jump gold too!). She has held the heptathlon world record for more than 30 years! (And there is no question in my mind that she competed clean, i.e., no drugs). And, she is a very, very sweet, nice person. She also played briefly in the WNBA or its predecessor, I believe.
5. Michael Johnson, 200m, 1996: After getting food poisoning two weeks before the 1992 Olympics (he was the heavy favorite in the 200 and could not really compete), his "golden shoes" run of 19.32 was wonderful. (I also have great respect for his coach, the legendary Clyde Hart, which only makes his victory that much sweeter.)
6. Michael Phelps (every race in Beijing), 2008: After winning 7 gold medals the year before in the world championships (with 7 world records, and would have had 8 but the US was disqualified in the medley relay), Michael withstood everything, including a truly great French relay team in the 4x100 free (Michael did not get much press on this race, but his opening 47.51 helped keep the US in contention), his goggles filling up with water in the 200 fly (OK, he just goes to Plan B and breaks his own world record), his famous out-touching of Cavic in the 100 fly, and his monster fly leg in the medley relay to put the US ahead for good. He brought his "A+" game to every swim, under so much pressure.

OK, I gave six, not five! :rolleyes:

Thoughts?
Just US? Usain Bolt was pretty amazing,

Reaction Score
This guy--Abebe Bikila! He was born on the day of the 1932 Olympic Marathon, a sign of things to come. He won the 1960 Olympic Marathon in Rome. He repeated in Tokyo in 1964, setting a world record and becoming the first marathoner to repeat with gold. He ran barefoot.

Abebe Bikila - Wikipedia

Thank you, MilfordHusky. Bikila was just a bit before my time. What an amazing athlete.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
This guy--Abebe Bikila! He was born on the day of the 1932 Olympic Marathon, a sign of things to come. He won the 1960 Olympic Marathon in Rome. He repeated in Tokyo in 1964, setting a world record and becoming the first marathoner to repeat with gold. He ran barefoot.

Abebe Bikila - Wikipedia
He showed up in Tokyo with shoes! At that point his competitors might as well have packed it in. :)

Reaction Score
Al Oerter (1936 - 2007). Olympic Gold Medalist - Discus 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968. Al Oerter is the only athlete to win the same Olympic event four times in a row ...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Al Oerter (1936 - 2007). Olympic Gold Medalist - Discus 1956, 1960, 1964, 1968. Al Oerter is the only athlete to win the same Olympic event four times in a row ...

Al (whom I met and seems in person to be twice the shoulder width and chest depth he looked to have on TV) is the only 4-time individual sport winner. There are at least 2 who have won 4 golds in team sports, each with a realistic chance to win a 5th in 2020. I don't know if there are others beside Sue & Diana who have won four.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1) Miracle on Ice (1980) - USA college hockey players beat the vaunted Soviet Machine.

2) Mark Spitz (1972) - US swimmer earns 7 gold medals by setting 7 world records. He was Michael Phelps before Phelps was. Plus he could totally pull off having a p.orn stache.

3) Bruce Jenner (1976) - I remember well his quest to be named "the world's greatest athlete." I believe he set a world record as well.

4) Michael Phelps (2008) Uh 8 Olympic gold medals? Yikes. I think he finished with 18 overall. Just amazing.

5) Kerri Strug (1996) - Injured her ankle on first vault. US need her points to get a gold so she goes again on a bum leg and nails it! Torn ligaments in ankle. Just so gutsy for a young girl!

There are a lot more good ones but these stick in my mind.

Reaction Score
Al (whom I met and seems in person to be twice the shoulder width and chest depth he looked to have on TV) is the only 4-time individual sport winner. There are at least 2 who have won 4 golds in team sports, each with a realistic chance to win a 5th in 2020. I don't know if there are others beside Sue & Diana who have won four.

Yes, Al O was a magnificent athlete, always with a late throw to win.

Hmm, Michael Phelps won 4 200 Individual Medley's in a row: 2004-2016. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
1) Miracle on Ice (1980) - USA college hockey players beat the vaunted Soviet Machine.

That was magnificent!

2) Mark Spitz (1972) - US swimmer earns 7 gold medals by setting 7 world records. He was Michael Phelps before Phelps was. Plus he could totally pull off having a p.orn stache.

Yes, especially after his disappointing Mexico City Olympics. As we know, he was a bit of a different swimmer than Michael: a sprinter (100 and 200 free and fly).

3) Bruce Jenner (1976) - I remember well his quest to be named "the world's greatest athlete." I believe he set a world record as well.

Yes, he set a world record at Montreal.

4) Michael Phelps (2008) Uh 8 Olympic gold medals? Yikes. I think he finished with 18 overall. Just amazing.

23 golds. 13 in individual events.

5) Kerri Strug (1996) - Injured her ankle on first vault. US need her points to get a gold so she goes again on a bum leg and nails it! Torn ligaments in ankle. Just so gutsy for a young girl!

She was so courageous;

There are a lot more good ones but these stick in my mind.

See above in-line.

Reaction Score
Thank you all for posting on this thread. You all helped me remember some other great Olympic memories.

Happy holiday to all.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Franz Klammer, downhill, 1976 Winter Olympics - Innsbruck
The downhill is truly an on-the-edge event and Klammer was incredible. Getting it done with the home crowd screaming deliriously

1980 Miracle on Ice
Made me believe in miracles

Reaction Score
I was also going to list Franz Klammer at the 1976 Olympics. He had all the pressure on him as the favorite in his home country. The defending gold medalist Bernhard Russi had a great run and over a half second lead when Klammer came to the line. There was no way he was going to settle for anything but the gold. Football great Frank Gifford was one of the announcers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How can one be sure that Jackie Joyner-Kersee did not use performance enhancing drug? (Legal or not at that time) some people do dispute that the cause of her death could be the aftermath of it. Remember the greatest US male sprinter years later was found out that he too took it, and the greatest cyclist. Even if some of them were detected, the US Olympic committee helped to cover it ....

Reaction Score
How can one be sure that Jackie Joyner-Kersee did not use performance enhancing drug? (Legal or not at that time) some people do dispute that the cause of her death could be the aftermath of it. Remember the greatest US male sprinter years later was found out that he too took it, and the greatest cyclist. Even if some of them were detected, the US Olympic committee helped to cover it ....

I assume you mean Florence Griffith Joyner not Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

Reaction Score
Sorry, mixed them up. Was Jackie Joyner-kersee’s husband was also found out helping doping?

I know Bobby Kersee was accused of being a "drug coach" but I don't think it was proven.

Reaction Score
Joan Benoit winning the First Women’s Olympic Marathon.
It was questionable whether Joan would qualify having had arthroscopic knee surgery only 17 days before the trials. At the Olympics she made a risky move breaking away from the field early in the race. The other great runners let her go thinking she would come back to the field in the heat and humidity of LA. Well, that never happened and it was a great sight to see her come into the stadium all alone and take her well deserved victory lap. Greta Waitz of Norway who won several NYC marathons took the silver.
Joan’s US women’s marathon record set in 1985 lasted for 20 years.
As an aside, I ran against Joan in the 1980 Litchfield Road Race. Joan won the women’s division and to the surprise of many I managed to complete the race.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom