OT: FiOS or Xfinity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Penfield, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Penfield

Penfield

I am in the process of moving and will have access to Verizon FiOS. I currently have Comcast Xfinity. It is expensive, but I will say I am pretty happy w/ the service in general. The one area that annoys me is the internet speed is never quite what they are selling to me (especially on wifi), which seems to be due to network traffic. Verizon claims to avoid this issue due to their Fiber optic network. Xfinity tv service has been very good. The interface is great and the new X1 box is actually pretty cool. I can download shows to my phone or tablet when I am travelling, and streaming through the apps work pretty well. It has been a couple years since I had any technical issues.

It seems that FiOS will probably be cheaper at first (unless I can use this against comcast to get a better deal).

For people with FiOS - do you actually get the internet speed that you pay for? How is the tv service?

Has anyone had experience w/ both? Which did you like better?

Thanks

2. Minicoop69

Minicoop69

are you looking at just internet or a combination of both? HULU is going to offer a streaming package that is going to look pretty good to Sports people. All of the ESPNs and Fox's and a lot of the other channels. Don't know how much yet, but I have Xfinity and I might switch if the pricing is good.

3. WhereistheDove?

WhereistheDove?

I have FiOS for just internet and have previously had Xfinity for both internet and cable. As far as internet speeds, Verizon is what it claims and even the lowest speed they offer (50/50) is excessive for what I need (two person apartment with 1-2 streaming devices at any one time). Likely, you'd only be limited by your router as my 5 Ghz wifi network speeds are basically at the advertised speeds for both upload and download (and sometimes above). I've also been very happy with their customer services. TV service I can't comment on unfortunately but internet, FiOS absolutely wins.

Penfield likes this.
  4. Penfield

Penfield

Most likely both for now. I would like to cut the cable cord at some point but streaming doesn't seem to cover my needs just yet

5. Penfield

Penfield

6. CTMike

CTMike Vanilla Cake > Fish Cake

Don't know FiOS but have heard good things.

Been with Comcast a little over two years now using X1. In a very rare twist of fate, their service has been... excellent? Shortly after getting set up in the new house they called me to say that they noticed the X1 boxes were reporting low signal... would I mind if they sent a tech? Immediately? On a Sunday morning? Sure! Nice guy came out, installed a powered amp for all my outlets, and we were good to go a short time later! More recently, our TV/internet went out... as I was chatting with a help desk guy from my phone, got a robo call that the outage was due to service being performed in the area and everything would be restored shortly. So that's all good.

Cons : the price after year 1. Strongly considering options because it's just too damn much for TV and internet. PS Vue service looks enticing.

Also, like you mentioned - I've been paying for 105mbps down and at most I can pull 40mbps. I'll try connecting directly to the cable modem one of these days and see if it's my router that's limiting.

Penfield likes this.
  7. Penfield

Penfield

@CTMike I have had a pretty similar experience with Comcast. After re-branding to xfinity I have had very few issues, and they actually have gone beyond what I would expect from a cable company. They always upgrade my technology when its available.

I have my new apple tv connected directly to the router and can only get up to like 58 mbps running a speed test on it even though I am paying for 150. 50 is fine for me, but its annoying having to buy up a package to get the speed I want. If it were not so expensive I would be completely happy.

CTMike likes this.
  8. huskyniner

huskyniner

I pay for 25MB/s and get around 4 with Comcast. Anyone have any ideas what I can do? I don't think it's a router issue because I brought a brand new one earlier this year.

9. tentoes4rings

tentoes4rings

This surprises me that some,of you aren't getting anywhere near the advertised internet speeds. CTMike, do you have an older modem? The new gateways combine both router and modem in one box. I'm in sales for Comcast and my customers seem to be getting the full advertised speed or more if hard wired and close to it wirelessly. The new modems have a 2.4 and 5.0 band that switches seamlessly while you move around the house to accommodate different needs (speed or distance). Make sure you have the latest equipment, if not call for a free upgrade. Also, don't be afraid to request a tech to come out to diagnose slow speeds. You're paying a lot of $ so call in if you have issues.

On a side note, there was an automatic upgrade last week in most towns. Blast speed should now be 200 mb download and performance pro should be 100, up from 75.

CTMike likes this.
  10. jleves

jleves Awesomeness

For you that are reporting speeds 1/3 of what you are paying for, are you getting that from speedtests from wired or wireless devices? If you are getting that from wired devices, you're getting hosed and need to talk to your provider. Getting anything faster than 50Mb to wireless devices is going to be really tough. Maybe if you have a great wifi router in the same room, but other than that, wifi degrades quickly and has nothing to do with your provider. I have Spectrum (formally TWC) and I pay for 100Mb and the test I just ran to my wired computer just came back at 118Mb. On my phone, I can get 100Mb+ in a few areas of my house but as soon as I'm going through a couple of walls, it drops to about 35Mb which is to be expected.

For traditional cable users getting Internet over cable, you really should buy your own modem and wifi router and not use the crappy thing your provider gives you. Make sure your modem supports DOCSIS 3.0 which supports speeds over 300Mb. Something like this and you will recover the cost of renting the crappy cable company modem in about a year or so. Make sure your wifi router is AC and supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies.

Hope this helps someone out.

CTMike likes this.
  11. ConnHuskBask

ConnHuskBask Shut Em Down!

Just had to order FiOS and since Internet is already provided I couldn't bundle it.

The cheapest TV only package that had CBS Sports Network (thanks AAC) was "Custom Sports" so I get most of the sports channels, but not a ton else aside from broadcast, TNT, TBS, FX.

The catch? 125 bucks a month!! For 2 boxes and DVR. I don't know if I got screwed or what but that's what I'm paying.

Penfield likes this.
  12. CTMike

CTMike Vanilla Cake > Fish Cake

It's not the brand spanking new model, but I purchased a Motorola/Arris SB6141 2 years ago... a fairly popular and certified DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. That said my AirPort Extreme wireless router is long in the tooth, so I'll be sure to test wired to the modem when I have a chance. To be honest, even at 35-40mbps, it's not like things are slow.

13. Penfield

Penfield

@tentoes4rings I have the newest modem from Comcast. Just ran a speed test on a wired device and actually got 93 mbps, but I am pretty sure I have Blast which should be 200. Restarted my modem and got 91. I've had a couple techs out here and this is about the fastest they have got it to run. Not gonna bother having them come here again since I'm moving so soon.

I'm actually fine with about 100 so when I move I would hope I could downgrade to that level to save money and the tech could actually get it running at the proper speed.

Also got to get them to waive there $60 set up charge at my new address.

14. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

I have FiOS. It's expensive for me with three HD cable boxes, one of which is the DVR for the house, but it works well. I have the newer Quantum Gateway Router (there is no modem with FiOS) and it works well. I like that I have 2.4 and 5mhz bands, plus a "guest" wifi I can enable, that has no access to alter critical systems.

When I price out Comcast, the cost is the same, so it's not worth switching. I honestly don't think there is much difference anymore. When I went to FiOS, Comcast internet had been spotty. FiOS TV interface wasn't as good then, but is much better now. I do think the FiOS signal is more stable. What I found with Comcast is that when all your neighbors are on at the same time, it drags down the speed. Check with the guys at Tom's Hardware or DSL Reports to see if that is still the case with them. FiOS doesn't have that issue as your overall bandwidth isn't shared.

Penfield likes this.
  15. bmayuc

bmayuc Haters Gonna Hate

FIOS. Its fantastic. Just do it, I promise.

I had XFinity living in Southie, moved to the Burbs and hooked up FIOS and was borderline amazed at how much more consistent, reliable, etc it was.

Penfield likes this.
  16. Chuck

Chuck

I switched to fios years ago. I'm fine with it, but it's a business relationship. I'm not an evangelist of theirs. Their fees and other add-ons quickly escalate the monthly fees, but it's probably similar to the cable option. I actually liked the Cablevision customer service better, but I had signal problems with my house that they just couldn't adequately fix.

Re internet, I recently switched to 75/75 and the best router they have. I'm getting about 50/50 at most points of the house, with over 60/60 near the router. I have a dead spot where my Fire Stick is, so I got an extender that is getting me over 25/25 with an acceptable ping. Netflix has been running fine with an occasional delay (but no freezing or loss of signal).

My biggest gripes with fios are: 1) when you go to change services or lock-in rates after your initial period, you need to be careful. There is a lot of double talk on fees and services. I learned my lesson and made them send me comparisons of what I am getting/fees with what they are proposing and the final fee (inclusive of all of their add-on charges that made up the current fees). 2) From what I've read, it takes some work to use your own wireless router with them. I consider myself somewhat tech savvy (and stubborn), but I didn't feel like dealing with buying a proper router and trying to figure out how to make it work. I'm sure I could, I just did a cost-benefit analysis and decided to "rent" their quantum router. That new router has been fine for our home use.

Penfield likes this.
  17. ktuck911

ktuck911

I want FIOS in the worse way.. but I live in Ansonia... It's either Xfinity (overpriced and caters to Red Sox fans, which I am not - Go Yankees!) or Frontier (which I do have but the customer service is downright awful)

Penfield likes this.
  18. UConn Esq

UConn Esq

I have Fios and pay for the 100/100 Mbps internet. During peak hours I typically download in the 5-7MBps range (so about half of the advertised speed) but at night I usually download in the 10+MBps range. I have on numerous occasions actually exceeded the speeds I am paying for, capping out at about 15MBps. I highly recommend FIOS - I have had nothing but good experiences and the internet is blazing.

Penfield likes this.
  19. whaler11

whaler11 Kickoff: 11:11

Comcast came in and updated my modem/router... my speed doubled from 35 to 70 download.

I had a remote stop working on a Wed night. I chatted with someone online at 10 pm. New remote was in my mailbox Friday.