OT: family restaurant recommendation in mystic | The Boneyard

OT: family restaurant recommendation in mystic

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I decided to do a last minute Mystic trip with the kids tomorrow (2.5 & 4.5) while the wife is out for a baby shower. We're going to start at the aquarium, grab lunch and then check out the seaport. Any recommendations on a good spot for lunch? It would be nice if it's in the seaport area but not necessary.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I decided to do a last minute Mystic trip with the kids tomorrow (2.5 & 4.5) while the wife is out for a baby shower. We're going to start at the aquarium, grab lunch and then check out the seaport. Any recommendations on a good spot for lunch? It would be nice if it's in the seaport area but not necessary.
I mean you can go full tourist and see if Julia Roberts still works at mystic pizza . But I like the Daniel Packer Inne. Good pub lunch, classic new england

Reaction Score
The pizza place in Mystic Village shops (Mango's) next to the aquarium is pretty decent. There is a good drive-in on the road from the aquarium into the seaport, which has a soft serve place right next to it.
There's also a really good gourmet grilled cheese place in the village shops. Definitely worth checking out

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Thanks for the recommendations. After all that, ended up eating at the cafeteria because we needed more time in the afternoon. It has been a while since I've been there (gulp - maybe 25-30 years?). We are members of the New England Aquarium in Boston - Mystic is definitely much nicer. The sea lion show and the interactions with aquarium staff blow away what Boston has. It is also MUCH more kid-friendly and kid-oriented. Admission was also free for me as Dads don't pay on Father's Day weekend, which was a nice surprise.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Thanks for the recommendations. After all that, ended up eating at the cafeteria because we needed more time in the afternoon. It has been a while since I've been there (gulp - maybe 25-30 years?). We are members of the New England Aquarium in Boston - Mystic is definitely much nicer. The sea lion show and the interactions with aquarium staff blow away what Boston has. It is also MUCH more kid-friendly and kid-oriented. Admission was also free for me as Dads don't pay on Father's Day weekend, which was a nice surprise.

Nice! Next time you want a really good meal hit up S&P Oyster company in downtown. Sit outside, kids will love to watch the boats go by and the bridge go up. Afterwards you can walk across the bridge and get ice cream

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Nice! Next time you want a really good meal hit up S&P Oyster company in downtown. Sit outside, kids will love to watch the boats go by and the bridge go up. Afterwards you can walk across the bridge and get ice cream
I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I would imagine we'll head back in another year or two and maybe stay overnight to hit up the seaport and watch hill on day two.

Reaction Score

S&P is my favorite restaurant. I live less than 10 minutes from Mystic so we go out to eat there a bunch. Check out R36 too if you ever get the chance. Its right on the water as well and has excellent food

Reaction Score
I spent a lot of time in Mystic in the early 50's and loved the drawbridge over 60 years ago. Especially watching the boats going through. I always thought the flagpole in the center of town was the mainsail mast from a old whaling ship..
We use to take my grandmother from Derby to see her brother
He and his wife owned a grocery store on Denison Ave that made the best grinders in the world. He had a barn that included a still were he made Grappa. ( distilled wine or high octane brandy).

It was the old Rte 1 all the way. Before I 95 . The old bridge over the Connecticut River was also a drawbridge. It was a at least a three hour trip and we stayed a couple of nights. We loved going there as he had a small boat he would take us over to a beach area. He also always had fireworks. The quality of food is never to seen again. He was kind of a big kid who would rather go fishing or clamming than work in the store.
I think that suited my aunt as it got him out if her hair.
This was also before supermarkets and watermelon would be sold off the back of trucks from the Carolina's only a few weeks in summer.We always bought a couple to bring.
Sorry when the name Mystic vomes up it's always a great memory

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Nothing like ice cream after downing raw oysters. Yum...lol

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Five guys burgers is close to seaport. McQuaids(top of the hill) has a lunch cafeteria for about $8.oo a pop. Friendly's is close by. Stay out of the diner. Otherwise drive into Mystic.
Take a left and there is a pizza house(Angie's I think) and a decent fried clam place with soft ice cream. A short piece up the road on left hand side is a decent outdoor seafood place. Sorry, I can't remember all of these names.. Take a right down the main drag. Stay out of Mystic Pizza. Most downtown places are okay. There is a decent pizza house across from the old factory(now apartments) off the main drag as you head to Noank on Rt.1. There is also a tree house type of restaurant next to the pizza house on same side of roadside. Nice romantic Italian place near the flag poll up the street and seafood restaurant next to poll is also good.

Reaction Score
Anyone knowledgeable of Mystic knows that Mystic Pizza in center Mystic is a sham. The movie was filmed at a storefront in front of Skipper's Dock (now Breakwater since the owners retired and sold) on Water St in Stonington.

Skippy's was also the locale of the dock-side restaurant dinner scene in the movie.

Also like Capt Dan's a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS