OT: espn first take Wisconsin Badgers doesn't hide from white guys reputation | The Boneyard

OT: espn first take Wisconsin Badgers doesn't hide from white guys reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This reminds me of conversations about the 80s Celtics. Maybe well deserved because of the Boston sports lily-white sports scene, and the Red Sox, and constant problems between players and the law, but Red Auerbach was the first to have an all black starting lineup.

Kind of hard to argue against having Bird, McHale, Ainge and Walton play for you. The first 3 were stolen in trades/drafts. But were Sichting, Kite and Wedman really necessary? Heh.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On Pittsburgh sports radio this morning they announced a drinking game for Wisky/UK. You have to drink every time one of these five code words for "team of white guys" is used by the announcers:
- Disciplined
- Team-oriented
- Gritty
- System player
- Scrappy

Reaction Score
On Pittsburgh sports radio this morning they announced a drinking game for Wisky/UK. You have to drink every time one of these five code words for "team of white guys" is used by the announcers:
- Disciplined
- Team-oriented
- Gritty
- System player
- Scrappy

They might be wise to remove Disciplined and Gritty from the list or people will die. Either word alone would cause wide spread drunken blackouts.

Reaction Score
- Disciplined
- Team-oriented
- Gritty
- System player
- Scrappy
And a car bomb for "pluck"

C

Chief00

Quite frankly while parts of this is why by certain accounts Stone never felt real comfortable at WI sometimes the media makes too much out of race. For anyone who has kids in an integrated town you will know a baby boomer sports writer looks at this stuff so differently than they do. Kids will joke about this stuff very openly. I was driving my daughter and two other players on her team to practice one day and was listening in on their conversation - a black girl was describing another player on the team ( who happened to be white) as being too"ghetto". Then they talked about her attitude and lack of team play. It made me realize the prism they view things through is so different - they view race differently.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
- Disciplined
- Team-oriented
- Gritty
- System player
- Scrappy

Billy Packer used to call every mostly white team "a very intelligent" team, and every totally non-white team "a very athletic" team. Or as he said it, ath-uh-letic.

Reaction Score
Only three players drafted in 14 years? That is an incredibly low rate for a program that has had the success they have had. We had two drafted last year alone.

Reaction Score

These guys are clowns. Wisconsin has a small black percentage, but last time I checked places like Oregon and Washington have much smaller black populations. You know what? Those basketball and football teams seem to have a lot of black players.
Also Steven A Smith - "a student population should reflect the general demographics of a state" -- notice he's not asking for the basketball team to reflect the local demographics, just the entire university body.
Wow...

presskh

Memphis Fan
Reaction Score
The question that really should be asked is why are there not more "European American" kids in college BB? And by the way, I resent being referred to as simply a color just as much as as "African Americans" do. Please update your vocabulary to reflect current PC standards. I was appalled that this article referred to most Wisconsin players as "white".

Reaction Score
Thank God for double standards.

Between this and Harrison's comment we would've had a national crisis on our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom