OT - Enter To Win | The Boneyard

OT - Enter To Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hi all, it's your erstwhile author BYer. For anyone interested, I have a free, autographed copy giveaway of my novel Crocodile Mothers Eat Their Young, pen name Avi Morris, on the website Goodreads.com. Sure to rank someday with an F. Scott Fitzgerald signature. There will be five copies available, the promotion running from tomorrow, 3/5 through 4/4. For anyone not familiar with Goodreads.com, it's a free membership arm of Amazon that is for readers to review and/or rank the books they've read. You can find reviews of almost every novel ever published and a great deal of non-fiction as well. There is no catch to the giveaway, I pay shipping. Goodreads.com, not I, selects the winners after the promotion closes. It is suggested that winners post a review, but it is not a requirement. Believe me, reviews help. To enter, starting tomorrow, use this link.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/128993-crocodile-mothers-eat-their-young

There's nothing to lose. Look at the reviews that are posted on Amazon and Goodreads (some duplication). 95% five star, none lower than four.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Summary from Amazon

When teacher Roberta Allen, walked into her middle school principal's office, she encountered sisters Valentina and Selena Diaz, who were to be removed from their mother’s home once again by the Department of Families. The girls, after suffering years of physical and emotional abuse at the hands of their mother and sexual abuse by their mother’s male friends, are soon to be placed in the care of newly approved foster parents, Roberta and Hal Allen. The Allens must learn how to cope with the state bureaucracy even as Valentina, the younger sister, bonds with her new “Mom” and “Dad.” This is her story of persistence, love and survival as she bravely confronts the people who had brought harm to her in the past.

Selected reviews:

A poignant and powerful story
By An avid reader on September 1, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
This is an excellent read told with wonderful character development, emotional depth, complexity and honesty. Avi Morris' book is the fictionalized story of a young girl's abuse and neglect, and her and others' conflicted journeys. I bring to this review the vantage point of having been a county social worker for many years, working with children and adolescents in dysfunctional families, with foster parents, the courts, the schools, the bureaucracy, including the various support (and sometimes not so supportive) systems. Morris has captured it all, beautifully, poignantly. A powerful book you won't easily put down... or forget.

This book was an excellent read. I couldn't put it down
By LJB on September 7, 2014
Format: Paperback
This book was an excellent read. I couldn't put it down. Although the subject matter is difficult to handle, Avi Morris tells the story in a wonderful, inciteful way. The characters are very real and the story surely must be based on truth. I loved the format Mr. Morris used in telling the story. It held my interest from start to finish. The book brought tears to my eyes throughout, but especially at the end. The main character is an incredible young woman and there should be more people like the Allens on this earth. I loved the book from start to finish and can't wait to read another by this author. Kudos, Avi Morris!!

Couldn't wait for our book groups reading and discussion of it., August 31, 2014
By howardfalkin - See all my reviews
While this tale is not new Mr. Morris has treated it in a way that shows great understanding of its complexity,, uncommon sensitivity to the emotional toll on all parties, and a refreshing writing style that makes it easy for the reader to be involved quickly and deeply - but not depressingly.
This book deserves wide readership and discussion, It is perfect for book clubs looking for something and someone new and worthwhile to discuss,

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Summary from Amazon

When teacher Roberta Allen, walked into her middle school principal's office, she encountered sisters Valentina and Selena Diaz, who were to be removed from their mother’s home once again by the Department of Families. The girls, after suffering years of physical and emotional abuse at the hands of their mother and sexual abuse by their mother’s male friends, are soon to be placed in the care of newly approved foster parents, Roberta and Hal Allen. The Allens must learn how to cope with the state bureaucracy even as Valentina, the younger sister, bonds with her new “Mom” and “Dad.” This is her story of persistence, love and survival as she bravely confronts the people who had brought harm to her in the past.

Selected reviews:

A poignant and powerful story
By An avid reader on September 1, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
This is an excellent read told with wonderful character development, emotional depth, complexity and honesty. Avi Morris' book is the fictionalized story of a young girl's abuse and neglect, and her and others' conflicted journeys. I bring to this review the vantage point of having been a county social worker for many years, working with children and adolescents in dysfunctional families, with foster parents, the courts, the schools, the bureaucracy, including the various support (and sometimes not so supportive) systems. Morris has captured it all, beautifully, poignantly. A powerful book you won't easily put down... or forget.

Thanks.:)

This book was an excellent read. I couldn't put it down
By LJB on September 7, 2014
Format: Paperback
This book was an excellent read. I couldn't put it down. Although the subject matter is difficult to handle, Avi Morris tells the story in a wonderful, inciteful way. The characters are very real and the story surely must be based on truth. I loved the format Mr. Morris used in telling the story. It held my interest from start to finish. The book brought tears to my eyes throughout, but especially at the end. The main character is an incredible young woman and there should be more people like the Allens on this earth. I loved the book from start to finish and can't wait to read another by this author. Kudos, Avi Morris!!

Couldn't wait for our book groups reading and discussion of it., August 31, 2014
By howardfalkin - See all my reviews
While this tale is not new Mr. Morris has treated it in a way that shows great understanding of its complexity,, uncommon sensitivity to the emotional toll on all parties, and a refreshing writing style that makes it easy for the reader to be involved quickly and deeply - but not depressingly.
This book deserves wide readership and discussion, It is perfect for book clubs looking for something and someone new and worthwhile to discuss,

Reaction Score
At first, you lost me at "...autographed copy giveaway of my novel Crocodile Mothers Eat Their Young..." , but as I read on I think I'll check it out...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
At first, you lost me at "...autographed copy giveaway of my novel Crocodile Mothers Eat Their Young..." , but as I read on I think I'll check it out...
That's actually why I figured I would post the summary. The title doesn't necessarily reflect what the novel is about until you actually know what it's about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom