OT: ECU freshman Jayden Gardner | The Boneyard

OT: ECU freshman Jayden Gardner

Reaction Score
East Carolina got a steal - looks like they could end up with back-to-back freshman of the year awards.

Unranked kid from North Carolina with reported offers from low- to mid-majors like James Madison, Grambling State, Richmond, Campbell, Winthrop, High Point, etc.

He's 6'6", 245 and currently averaging 19.4 points and 9.5 rebounds per game - he just had 35 points and 20 rebounds on the road against UCF.

Here's his game log on the season:
1547481145837.png

Reaction Score
I don't think I could stomach losing to ECU two seasons in a row. Bet this kid kills us either way though. He put up video game numbers against UCF? Damn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow didn't realize he was this good. Nice pick up for ECU, I guess Coach K and Roy only go by rankings huh?

Reaction Score
The funny thing if they're saying 6'6" he's 6'5" best and he's one of those guys who many of the big programs overlook every year. Look how Colson escaped our grasp and why? Because he's smaller and people are afraid of what his impact will be on the next level. We haven't had enough of these guys. Freeman, Adrien maybe a Heyward as a back up but very very few. We've seen many who have hurt us though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tulane's the only AAC doormat now. Tough year to rack up conference wins.

Reaction Score

Ultimately, this is a good thing though. I think we could be the 4th best basketball conference in a couple years, easily. Maybe better.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think a good strategy may be to just let this kid go and see if he can put up 75 points himself.

Reaction Score

If at the end of the conference season there are several teams with solid conference records but some losses because they all got beat by each other, will the AAC get respect for being "deep" or get dismissed as being mediocre?

Reaction Score
Ultimately, this is a good thing though. I think we could be the 4th best basketball conference in a couple years, easily. Maybe better.
This was supposed to be a down year for the AAC, but it’s shaping up like a 4 bid league (UCF, Temple, Houston, Cincy), with potential to add another (one of USF, SMU, UConn). Only bad team is Tulane. Pretty impressive, next year is the year the AAC becomes a top 4 conference in my opinion.

Reaction Score
If at the end of the conference season there are several teams with solid conference records but some losses because they all got beat by each other, will the AAC get respect for being "deep" or get dismissed as being mediocre?
Likely mediocre judging on past seasons, but I completely disagree. AAC is deep this year. Wichita state and SMU losing a good amount of OOC games hurt though

Reaction Score
The funny thing if they're saying 6'6" he's 6'5" best and he's one of those guys who many of the big programs overlook every year. Look how Coles escaped our grasp and why? Because he's smaller and people are afraid of what his impact will be on the next level. We haven't had enough of these guys. Freeman, Adrien maybe a Heyward as a back up but very very few. We've seen many who have hurt us though.
We don’t like players that are over 200 pounds because it slows down our break and we can’t run. Lean and mean is how we roll.

Reaction Score
This will end up being a good b-ball conference if the price is right. I could see it falling apart in the grant of rights, especially if other conferences show interest. It’s nice to see the bottom tier getting better. Defiantly helps with the resume, a win on the road is worth more now. It could be a 5-6 bid league in 3 years if keeps trending in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Poor ECU could’ve had this guy and Elijah Hughes. Could’ve been a top team in the conference.

C

Chief00

The funny thing if they're saying 6'6" he's 6'5" best and he's one of those guys who many of the big programs overlook every year. Look how Colson escaped our grasp and why? Because he's smaller and people are afraid of what his impact will be on the next level. We haven't had enough of these guys. Freeman, Adrien maybe a Heyward as a back up but very very few. We've seen many who have hurt us though.
And the famous Ryan Gomes.

C

Chief00

Congrats to Coach Chill. Looks like the staff is identifying talent and coaching the players up.

Reaction Score
Frosh Watch: East Carolina's Jayden Gardner wins Freshman of the Week honors after absurd 35-and-20 performance

7. JAYDEN GARDNER, East Carolina
Key stats: 19.4 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 1.0 spg, 29.2 PER
Jayden Gardner has been a revelation for East Carolina. He's gone from off-the-radar three-star recruit to the leading scorer in the American Athletic Conference, regardless of classification, as a true freshman. At 6-6, 245 pounds, Gardner is dominating AAC competition with his rare ball skills and shot-creation that is a rare combination from a player his age -- especially one that, according to KenPom.com data, plays primarily at the center position. Gardner capped an overall solid week started by an 18 point, eight rebound game against Memphis by scoring 35 (a new career-high) and grabbing 20 rebounds (also a new career-high).

C

Chief00

Gardner committed to ECU in 2017, while Chillious was at UConn.

Please re-read my post. I was aware of that aspect. I did not mention recruiting. I mentioned identifying talent and coaching it up.
It’s amazing how so many are so eager to find something wrong - and that foolish eagerness creates an error itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom