OT - DVD, Blu-Ray... or streaming? | The Boneyard

OT - DVD, Blu-Ray... or streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
how are you watching movies at home these days?

I'm basically waiting for them to reach HBO, Showtime, Starz etc.

I haven't popped in a DVD in a few years now... but of course I'm not a huge fan of movie watching.

istock_000000737031_small.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
All three.

I have many movies on DVD, some on Blu-Ray, and often use streaming. The Blu-Ray image and sound is the best.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
If it's a have-to-have movie (like Star Wars: The Force Awakens), Blu-Ray. Otherwise, streaming.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
All three.

I have many movies on DVD, some on Blu-Ray, and often use streaming. The Blu-Ray image and sound is the best.
I never reached Blu-Ray status... I have a collection of dvd's and to switch to BR would mean I need another player, I just gave up!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I have no premium channels (Bright House charges enough as is).
I have Netflix and Amazon streaming & I also get Netflix discs.
I have noticed that both services do a little editing, particularly cutting rape scenes, though
we can watch all manner of gore and decapitations.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Blu-Ray. Now you can get Blu-Ray UHD too.
I'm with you all 100%. I have a large (no, huge) collection of blu-rays with a burgeoning collection of 4K UHD's. The beauty of using the software versions is that these are uncompressed giving you better detail, color and sound without cropping or editing. This as opposed to steaming, premium channel cable or (ugh!) blurry DVD's. I can't wait until GOT is available in true 4K.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I never reached Blu-Ray status... I have a collection of dvd's and to switch to BR would mean I need another player, I just gave up!
C'mon. Spring for the 80 ducats and buy a player.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
collector type movies are cool

Yeah, I've sprung for nice editions of certain movies, like Rashomon and Citizen Kane along with, well, you know, Star Wars and stuff :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
C'mon. Spring for the 80 ducats and buy a player.
A quality bluray cost only 80.00? Do they still come with Netflix and Hulu attached?

Reaction Score
I have both dvd and bluray discs and I use Amazon Prime through my bluray player for streaming.

JordyG

Reaction Score
A quality bluray cost only 80.00? Do they still come with Netflix and Hulu attached?
Yessir. Each is of course capable of playing any DVD. Some are even capable of playing digital video files such MP4's using their USB ports. Handy machines. I download UConn games on my PC and play them on both my PC and on my large screen TV using the ports on my blu-ray player. I also have a dedicated media PC which I use to watch downloaded games on TV.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yessir. Each is of course capable of playing any DVD. Some are even capable of playing digital video files such MP4's using their USB ports. Handy machines. I download UConn games on my PC and play them on both my PC and on my large screen TV using the ports on my blu-ray player. I also have a dedicated media PC which I use to watch downloaded games on TV.
Cool, I got a DVR to watch/record/save UConn games... but those games on disc or YouTube will be worth a bunch 30yrs from now

Reaction Score
I haven't touched my DVD for almost 2-3 years. I always watch the TV or movies on line using the HDMI cable. The good thing is the 4K, HD smart TV price has been dropped significantly during last year.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I haven't touched my DVD for almost 2-3 years. I always watch the TV or movies on line using the HDMI cable. The good thing is the 4K, HD smart TV price has been dropped significantly during last year.
I hear there's a 5K tv out or coming soon...

JordyG

Reaction Score
I hear there's a 5K tv out or coming soon...
The real shortcoming with anything beyond 4K are the limitations of the human eye. The eye cannot discern the difference between 4K and 1080p on a 65" TV beyond 4'. Most people sit much further away from their living room TV than 4' with most sitting between 10 and 20. The reality is 5K shrinks the dots further making that discernment distance between 3 and 4'. In Japan they already have 8K in the labs (2 feet man!). People actually seem to notice better brightness, deeper colors and better contrast more than increased detail, which is what HDR does. Technology moves faster than the consumer can keep up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS