OT: Donna Summer passes | The Boneyard

OT: Donna Summer passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Although best known for her tremendously successful disco career, I always enjoyed when she let her gospel background come through her singing. When I first heard her sing "O, Holy Night", on a Christmas special - Solid Gold, Soul Train? - it literally raised goose bumps. Rest easy.

Reaction Score
Shocked and sad. Her disco songs obscured just what a phenomenal voice she had.

Boston native

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Dim All The Lights...Useta listen to her On The Radio..she was Hot Stuff, and She Worked Hard For Her Money. Last Dance at MacArthur Park ...RIP

Reaction Score
She was one of a kind. I still "tear up" when I play Mimi's Song from the Live and More vinyl ablum.
So glad I got to see her a few years ago at the new Oakdale. Every bit as good as she was in 1980. A good person, apparently, too

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One of my favorites was the duet with Streisand: "Enough is Enough."

Reaction Score
Hot Stuff was so ahead of its time with the way the music was mixed.

Love to Love You Baby.....*sigh*.....no more need be said.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It was unfortunate that she alienated her largely gay audience with her stance on homosexuality. I always loved her music but my support waned after that. Yet still an extraordinary talent who will be missed

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, many are going to remember it that way. She claimed to be mis-quoted but....who knows.

The fact is, she was enormously popular in the gay (and other) club scene in the lat 70s and early 80s.

It was unfortunate that she alienated her largely gay audience with her stance on homosexuality. I always loved her music but my support waned after that. Yet still an extraordinary talent who will be missed

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, many are going to remember it that way. She claimed to be mis-quoted but....who knows.

The fact is, she was enormously popular in the gay (and other) club scene in the lat 70s and early 80s.

Her songs were wildly popular in the gay bars but I remember well when the bars in Dallas decided not to play her music after the anti-gay comments. It was a sad moment in her career but one lives with the consequences of his or her actions. It's impossible to take something like that back.

Reaction Score
It's impossible to take something like that back.
True. But her "reported" (private) statement was more related to Aids (& reckless sexual promiscuity) which was just becoming a huge (& tragic) epidemic. It wasn't so much anti-gay. She was more wary of the culture & where it was heading. And eventually even the gay community would come to the conclusion that super-promiscuous & careless sex was... not so good. :(

Her future behavior was not anti-gay... more the opposite. Just as most other people have softened their attitude toward gays over the years as well. As a Christian, Summer loved everyone including the many gay people in her show-biz circles, but she also had a core belief that our culture needed certain values (especially for kids) to stay a "good" society. And the reckless sexual behavior that the more militant (political & radical) gay groups espoused & preached (during that gay rights movement era) has largely been seen as wrong(headed)... at least potentially dangerous & destructive to young people's lives, as a result of Aids.

A nice (8 min) interview last night on Emily Rooney's show: Remembering Donna Summer

Reaction Score
Her future behavior was not anti-gay... more the opposite. Just as most other people have softened their attitude toward gays over the years as well. As a Christian, Summer loved everyone including the many gay people in her show-biz circles, but she also had a core belief that our culture needed certain values (especially for kids) to stay a "good" society. And the reckless sexual behavior that the more militant (political & radical) gay groups espoused & preached (during that gay rights movement era) has largely been seen as wrong(headed)... at least potentially dangerous & destructive to young people's lives, as a result of Aids.

A nice (8 min) interview last night on Emily Rooney's show: Remembering Donna Summer

Thanks - and thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01