OT: Do Cheerleaders Have More Concussions Than Football Players? | The Boneyard

OT: Do Cheerleaders Have More Concussions Than Football Players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This sounds like typical obfuscation by those trying to protect their turf. I do not doubt the recorded concussions numbers (if he actually had them to hand) but there are two aspects of football that are issues - unrecorded concussions (the yeah I got my bell rung but I am fine kind) and the issue that is so prevalent with boxers, the effects of repeated concussive blows to the head that do not result in measurable concussions.

Reaction Score
This sounds like typical obfuscation by those trying to protect their turf. I do not doubt the recorded concussions numbers (if he actually had them to hand) but there are two aspects of football that are issues - unrecorded concussions (the yeah I got my bell rung but I am fine kind) and the issue that is so prevalent with boxers, the effects of repeated concussive blows to the head that do not result in measurable concussions.

For me the interesting part was about how dangerous being a cheerleader can actually be...............I'm sure most serious injuries occurred during the aerial activities in college which may not be as prevalent at high school down............

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No, to me it's the zeroing in on the sport that's the biggest money maker and ignoring the trends of concussions in wrestling, hockey, soccer and horse racing. No one denies the amount of head injuries in football. No one denies the prevalence of concussion related problems which linger during players careers and after retirement. The problem is how these issues are ignored in other high school, college and professional sports.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The other issue here is that there are not many kids that start doing arial cheerleading at 8 and continue doing it post college, while kids are starting full contact football around that age and continue to play through age 30+. Same is true of the other sports mentioned. There are real issues with soccer for the same reason, but it is a sport that can more easily reduce the exposure (and some kids leagues are already doing this) by outlawing heading of the ball at early ages.
For me the interesting part was about how dangerous being a cheerleader can actually be.....I'm sure most serious injuries occurred during the aerial activities in college which may not be as prevalent at high school down..
If you ever look at dancers' and gymnasts' bodies it gets pretty ugly, from snarled feet and toes to surgical scars on knees and ankles - and there is a reason they have spotters on vaults and areal equipment - when things go wrong they can go really wrong.

Reaction Score
I used to blame my lack of mental clarity on sheer stupidity...............now I just blame all the shots to the head I took playing high school football........................nobody seems to be buying the latter...................:D

Reaction Score
Interesting article for those concerned about letting their kids play football.

Cheerleaders suffer more concussion than FOOTBALL players: Expert
Does not surprise me---At Annapolis, their basketball court is below the viewers so when the Midshipmen Male Cheerleaders threw the Female Midshpmen Cheeleaders they'd be sailing through the air at eye height--frightening. If they missed or botched a catch those women would have had serious injuries. Stupid--to throw humans through the air as a function of engaging the Fans in cheering is just stupid..

Reaction Score
Note that this study uses a very small sample size, i.e. one college for four years, which is certainly statistically insignificant. And othere studies don't agree with that author. For example, the article mentions the study from Pediatrics magazine that says "'concussion rates were significantly lower in cheerleading than all other sports combined." There have been others.

Another big issue, as mentioned by UcMiami is that concussions among athletes often are not reported. For example, when Army, Navy, and Air Force put in new guidelines on concussions, the number of them doubled the next season - solely due to the guidelines. In football, where there are 22 players on the field in situations where many theoretically could suffer a concussion on any given play, it is very hard to notice potential concussions if the players do not cooperate. And in football, players traditionally have tried to cover them up in every way possible. I know high school football players who suffered five or more concussions without any coach or trainer ever knowing. My daughter suffered one in basketball and finished the game. Cheerleading concussions in many cases may be more obvious.

Because the data on college concussions is woefully lacking, about 30 colleges are involved in the midst of a major study on the subject, i.e. CARE: NCAA, DoD launch concussion study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom